Does anyone else feel like they are terrible at BJJ?

There are good nights and bad nights. But honestly some people are better than others at grappling. Same thing with all sports. No two people are the same.

As long as you enjoy it stick with it. When it becomes a hassle to train then quit or take a break for awhile. It's about having fun and unless grappling is your proffesion don't sweat it.

Lovesong said:
Ok, so I've been training grappling since September. I've definately decided I'm not a natural grappler. I have a very hard time putting the moves I'm taught into practice during live positional drills and/or rolling. I'm a bit of a slow learner when it comes to techniques.

Others who have started the same time or even much later than me can dominate me on the mat. I am getting better relative to where I started out, but it seems everyone else gets better faster.

It also seems like many people in the internet community are very confident in thier ability.(Whether that's internet bragging or not is questionable)

With all that said, I'm not going to give up BJJ or anything stupid like that. Eventually hardwork is going to pay off. I'm a pretty dedicated person, so it would take a major life event to make me quit BJJ (Serious injury, job relocation, etc.).

The big question is, does anyone else feel the same way, yet continue to grapple anyway? If so, how do you deal with it? I get damn frustrated at times but I keep on showing up to class....

~LS~

Try rolling with some of your friends who don't practice BJJ and you'll see how good you are. You'll be tapping them quick I bet.

I won a division in a tournament today, but I still feel I sucked at BJJ during my matches!!!

Yeah i could use advice too.

i trained for a year and was the fastest promoted blue belt for my school and was real proud. than i had to go off to school - no bjj. Im back after a year and im fucking horrible!! even then I was not very talented - just very dedicated.

I get submitted by white belts occassionally. my instructor runs us ragged all class. I go all session submitting either 1 or no people and my ego is crushed. grapplers quest is in like 3 weeks and Im going no matter what. Im fucking scared of failing so bad. I dont have the motivation to get off my ass and work my cardio so i can get back down to lightweight.

needless to say im real nervous. ive only competed once and I won at naga. now im going to show up, lose my first match, and humiliate myself.

im not fluid at all. my biggest strength is surprise submissions from the guard.. arm bars/triangles and i have a good scramble when someone gives me space. fuckin cock suckers keep catching me in kimuras from the bottom of my half guard and reversing me and submitting me over and over.

AHHH im gonna get killed how do i fucking motivate myself!

I was in a bjj tourney yesterday, was 0-3. I lost to 3 straight armbars. I guess I need to work on defending my armbars in practice.

Even though I didn't win a match, I am glad I entered. I am even going in another tournament this coming weekend. I now know what to expect, and also what I need to work more on in practice.

T-MAC said:
I was in a bjj tourney yesterday, was 0-3. I lost to 3 straight armbars. I guess I need to work on defending my armbars in practice.

Even though I didn't win a match, I am glad I entered. I am even going in another tournament this coming weekend. I now know what to expect, and also what I need to work more on in practice.

Which tourney was that?

T-MAC said:

just a question, howd u get to compete so many times???

and dont stress the losing part, youve now learned a lesson more valuable than 3 weeks of training, that you need better armbar defense, I can almost promise you that your armbar defense will skyrocket because of this. You should be proud of yourself for stepping on the mats, everyone who competes is a winner.

Ya, the few training sessions before this tournament I was really working triangle escapes. I got out of one guys triangle so that was alright.

Also, I only started practicing takedowns around 2 weeks ago but I think I did quite good in that area.

This was just a small tournament at my club. The next tournament is around 6 hours away. I was going there to visit some friends and watch ufc67, and there happened to be a bjj tournament that same weekend, so I figure I may as well enter. I'm actually still looking forward to it, even after not winning a single match at my event. Plus I have heard that I should expect to get around 10 matches, so a good change from the regulars I grapple with in class.

i'm a little slow at it myself....i was a boxer and the ground stuff is the coolest but...it's kinda forigien to me at this time point... the best thing to do is hang in there.. and learn one good thing a night...also train at home a little if you can

Man... found this post and i never relate so much... i go 6-7 days a week but it just feels like im doing complete shit which makes me frustrated with myself and that makes me mad :/ ...

It would be encouraging and cool to hear what these previous posters from 11 years ago would say now. Hopefully they’re still doing it.

Speak for yourself. I tap BB's and bang 10/10's nightly bruh

Ok, so I've been training grappling since September. I've definately decided I'm not a natural grappler. I have a very hard time putting the moves I'm taught into practice during live positional drills and/or rolling. I'm a bit of a slow learner when it comes to techniques.

Others who have started the same time or even much later than me can dominate me on the mat. I am getting better relative to where I started out, but it seems everyone else gets better faster.

It also seems like many people in the internet community are very confident in thier ability.(Whether that's internet bragging or not is questionable)

With all that said, I'm not going to give up BJJ or anything stupid like that. Eventually hardwork is going to pay off. I'm a pretty dedicated person, so it would take a major life event to make me quit BJJ (Serious injury, job relocation, etc.).

The big question is, does anyone else feel the same way, yet continue to grapple anyway? If so, how do you deal with it? I get damn frustrated at times but I keep on showing up to class....

~LS~

The problem is there's a lot of information to take onboard so it's overwhelming. It's even worse if your instructor has no system/lesson plan and is constantly bouncing around. It'll take awhile before you get enough pieces to put stuff together.

To answer your question though, "every day"

Lol, got tapped by a super big purple belt today. Fckin locked up an arm triangle from my FULL GUARD. At first I was like , whatever, gonna gradually keep hipping out till he gives it up. Than like 1 minute passes. Im starting to freak the fck out. I open my guard and put butterfly hooks in. He immediately fckin does a head-stand, with the arm triangle still locked, and passes. From there he got the tap. Just gotta eat it and keep it pushing. One day you wake up and your a fckin beast, but even then, you get tapped from inside your full guard

~LS~

Ive been training since September 2007 and I still feel like I suck.

Back