Does anyone else feel like they are terrible at BJJ?

SPAZ650 said:
thats just a little bitch quote..... i am sure his mom told him that one

Funny guy! You probably wouldn't say that to a white belts face, nevermind a black belt. :icon_neut

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPAZ650
thats just a little bitch quote..... i am sure his mom told him that one

Funny guy! You probably wouldn't say that to a white belts face, nevermind a black belt.

dude i don't know where u grew up, but i have learned in the world you are always going to be compared to someone especially in sports.

and buddy i am confident saying that to anyone, i am not a little bitch

bjj is like pizza, even if you are bad, you are still kinda good

Darth Shlong said:
bjj is like pizza, even if you are bad, you are still kinda good

quoted for truth. sig worthy.

you will always have your good days and bad days. i play rugby not grappling i know but i hated it i couldnt tackle the most important skill in rugby as well then after 3 years of rugby i started to tackle and Now I'm the best tackler on my team Because I've got my technique which suits me best and that I'm comfortable with, stick with it.

SPAZ650 said:
dude i don't know where u grew up, but i have learned in the world you are always going to be compared to someone especially in sports.

and buddy i am confident saying that to anyone, i am not a little bitch

You obviously COMPLETELY miss the point of that quote...

People from all walks of life do BJJ, for a variety of reasons. Hobby, competition, MMA, cardio workout, whatever.

If a 130 pound guy who's over 40 starts bjj on the same day as someone who's younger, stronger, and more athletic... they probably aren't going to advance at the same rate when it comes to rolling successfully with sparring partners.

At the same time of two guys join similar in build and both in good shape.. but one trains 5 days a week and the other trains 1 or 2, then there is gonna be a difference. What good is it to compare yourself to other people? If YOU have gotten better then you were a few months back, that is more important progress.

I don't feel terrible, but I'm not where I want to be. I started in mid August and didn't really join with anyone, so most of the guys close to my skill level have about 6 more months of training. Its frustrating, but the best way to get better is to train with people better than you. I've only made it to the gym ~4 times in the past month or so... holidays, birthday, and being sick have kept me out. On Wed. I was taken down by a guy(a wrestler) on his first visit to the gym. Got slammed right in front of Curtis Stout. :( I felt like crap. I had no offense at all. Plenty of defense, but no offense. I wasn't too happy after that class.

I have approximately 3 months of training, with training on the side with friends after those 3, and i can officially say, i'm absolutely terrible. One of my friends whos trained just as long is twice as good as me. I'm a very slow learner when it comes to jiu jitsu, and i'm not really good at using my body properly, and holding positions, nor am i at submitting. It really is a downer, and makes me feel like i want to quite, and being beaten by people way worse than i should be make it even worse. But oh well, maybe in 2 years, ill be at where that friend of mine is at 1 year, but at least i'll get there.

If you think you suck, what are your weaknesses?

Mine are:
- Fat (some 30lbs too much fat, for my "natural" weighclass)
- Cardio
- Flexibility
- Strength
- Body coordination
So basically everything that comes from not exercising at all for 20 years.
- Passive attitude in sparring/drilling
Means that I'm not attacking aggressively enough, but I'm working on it.

No, don't know how to do a cartwheel...

I dont think anyone is really a natural grappler.
Not in the same sense as guys are natural strikers; standing and being on the ground are so very different, we are used to standing whilst phyiscally exerting ourselves in many many situations/sports- we are not used to being on the ground rolling around exerting ourselves. of course people are more natural than others- Lindland and Couture have perfect body types for wrestling in my opinion, but I still find that there are not naturally gifted athletes compared to boxing and MT.

My problem I have found yesterday is while I am happy with my progression in grappling/BJJ (I feel like I have come a long way and have got quite good for 4 months practice- solid practice mind) my MMA totally sucks. Which is cool, but...
I feel like Im naturally good at stand-up, obviously I need loads and loads of work but I feel comfortable even when sparring with bigger guys, but my real problem is actually fighting on the ground- not grappling but MMA sparring. Its so totally different right now between sparring MMA and sparring in grappling. Avoiding punches and elbows from guard is hard, very fucking tiring to the point of fatigue much much sooner and its rough not seeing any of the submissions that I can usually pull off quite nicely in grappling.

Just when I thought 'It cant be this easy' it just got a whole lot harder. But now all I wanna do is train MMA on the ground so my MMA game reaches the level that I feel my grappling has. I was beggining to except my cardio too, but not now, now I am pissed until it reaches where it needs to be. WAR ME! Lol.

iam decent in BJJ for a new guy, but when i grapple guys with more experience that weight about 20-30 pounds more than me i get my ass kicked :(

Ups and downs man. Some nights I feel like Im on fire, other nights I drive home wondering what the hell is wrong with me. Just stick with it and keep on learning and having fun. Eventually you will be a badass:icon_twis .

sproggdawg said:
Ups and downs man. Some nights I feel like Im on fire, other nights I drive home wondering what the hell is wrong with me. Just stick with it and keep on learning and having fun. Eventually you will be a badass:icon_twis .
yea same here, some days everything seems to click and i feel like im allright, then theres the days where i cant get anything happening and everyone keeps taking my back for whatever reason.

batou said:
If you think you suck, what are your weaknesses?

Mine are:
- Fat (some 30lbs too much fat, for my "natural" weighclass)
- Cardio
- Flexibility
- Strength
- Body coordination
So basically everything that comes from not exercising at all for 20 years.
- Passive attitude in sparring/drilling
Means that I'm not attacking aggressively enough, but I'm working on it.

No, don't know how to do a cartwheel...

im skinny but it sounds like ur describing me

dude...4 months is NOTHING. you should suck.

anyway, when i'm having a particularly bad day i try to focus on smaller goals instead of getting the tap. just regaining guard or defending a submission attempt is a miniature victory.

You know its funny...1 week ago I was pretty down because it was a horrible night of rolling. I mean just thrown around (and Im not a small guy). But maybe because Im older, I try not to beat myself up over it, because, well, hell I have never done anything like this. Anyways, the past 2 nights I have had my best night of BJJ. No, didnt score any subs or anything, but no body passed my guard, I was able to consistently pass other's guard and I got 2 sweeps that I have been trying to nail for 2 months. I was down right giddy, and thats what it is all about. Hell, a bad night of rolling is still better than a good day at work, IMO.

Back