Does anyone believe that Conor stands a chance against Cowboy?

Historically, Cowboy has come up short in the big fights.

Conor is a fairly one-dimensional fighter but he most definitely hits hard and I wouldn't rate Cowboy as one of the most durable guys in the division.

I think both guys can win and have pros and cons, its overall a really fun matchup.

Depends if Cowboy shits the bed in the first round again, if not should be a tough fight for Conor

Idk,it'd be a very interesting fight....but only an idiot would say neither has a chance.They both have strengths to capitalize on the others weaknesses to a point that's much more intriguing than your average fight, names aside.It's as interesting as it is weird matching.

Cowboy tends to fold and give into nerves in big fights. This would be the biggest fight he's ever had by far. Whereas Conor is extremely calm and composed in huge fights. I'd root for him, but i'm always afraid cowboy comes out and lays another egg in another big fight.

Ego of fighting LW can do that
He is a LW though? It's this kind of discrediting that makes it impossible to discuss Conor objectively. There are bigger and smaller fighters in every division. Look at Hollaway and Ortega, for example. Conor's a great fighter with glaring holes (like most fighters).

Cerrone looked pretty thick this last outing at WW. Hes gonna have toughter cut than normal Id imagine.

Now if Cerrone actually had TDs he could easily sub Conor on the floor. He has a lot of subs on his record and his ground is underrated. But I think Conor can shrug off any TD attempt Cerrone has.

Cowboy has absolutely nothing for Conor. They might aswell book Conor Mcgregor vs Denis Siver 2.

I love Cowboy, by the way.

Conor gave Khabib his toughest fight when he was fresh. I think he handles cowboy. But cowboy is very well rounded. Good fight.

Cowboy has been known to shutdown before and had even seen a shrink about it. He also has a glass body due to a nasty accident which Conor can exploit. These are real ways he can win.

Now am I counting out Cerrone? Absolutely not. He is a warrior and has beaten some really good fighters.

I don't consider myself a Conor dickrider and Cowboy's 155 run was really good - even at WW he did awesome stuff, but this feels like DC vs Lewis to me. Conor should win this fight easy.

Been horribly wrong in the past, but these Cowboy praising threads against Conor just keep giving me "don't even know who Eddie Alvarez is" flashbacks.

I think you are way off, I'm only giving Conor a slight edge. Did you see Donalds fight against Platinum? If Donald can consistently fight like that most striking biased fighters like Conor are going to have problems. Donald only has trouble when he convinces himself he's some kind of K1 level striking god, but even that worked sometimes.

Wtf? Why do ppl think cowboy is unstoppable all of the sudden?

I'm not sure why people on here think Cowboy is some unstoppable force. He is a good well rounded MMA fighter. But he isn't outstanding at anything.

I see this fight taking place on the feet. Cowboy loves to bang. Cowboy's takedowns/wrestling is about average. Conor's take down defense is enough to stop large percentage of Cowboy's takedowns if he even tries for a takedown. Seems to not like to be pressured/walked down, what is exactly what Conor likes to do. Also with Cowboy it seems like when the tables turn on him it wakes him up but if the other fighter keeps the tables turned just slightly longer Cowboy more or less folds.

Conor wins simply by outstanding striking ability and good enough takedown defense to keep this fight on its feet. Most of the time when Cowboy goes up against good strikers he has issues.

Sure he stands a chance, he stands for 2rds then it's downhill from there.

Yes Conor has a chance. A good chance IMO. While no match for Khabibs relentless pressure, Cowboy tends to start slow and doesn't keep as tenacious of a pace. This could open things up for Conor to string together combinations.

Do I think Conor will beat a guy that pretty much only stands with people?

Yes. Conor is now possibly the most underrated fighter in the UFC after the Khabib fight.

Lol. You guys are hilarious. Beat up Plastic Mike Perry and everyone is now back on the Cowboy train
And he really didn't even beat up Platibum. Platibum basically gave him the fight by taking him down, which is unbelievably stupid. I think Platibum got in to a pissing contest because Cowboy tried for the takedown. No one ever accused Perry of being known for his IQ tho.

HAve a chance? Absolutely... Conor and Cerrone would be a very exciting and competitive bout... not sure if this is going to happen, but it is a fight I would love to see...

Please, let's not pretend that beating Mike Perry suddenly makes Cerrone invincible... I am a huge fan of Donald, but he has shown in recent years that he has his vulnerabilities. He has a sound ground game, but Cowboy loves to stand and bang... and Conor showed that he was quite resilient on the ground with Khabib, who has perhaps the best ground game in all of MMA... at 155, I think the weight cut may be harder on Donald than he remembers... would be an excellent fight... two fun fighters to watch...

This is a great point. Guy is like 9-2 with wins over the likes of Mendes, Aldo, Poirer, Halloway, and Alvarez. Any way you slice it, that is outstanding. He does not have a strong ground game and fades in later rounds, so he is very beatable for wrestlers with gas tanks or guys with great cardio. I'm not a fanboy at all, but to me Conor appears to have lost a step since steamrolling the likes of Brandao, Siver, and Poirer. Money and ego can do that.

Mac would have to be as smart as he has ever been with his nice and flowy movement. Not just in and out, he'd need to avoid that dumbass upright stance and switch between bent knee bladed, middle, and even squared if Cerrone forgets how to defend himself while backed up against the cage

Cerrone may seem like meat and potatoes basic compared to the likes of Yair, but the dude knows how to get shit done anywhere the fight takes place. He could easily kick Conor's head in.

He may not be the wrestler is Khabib is, but he can definitely take Conor down and finish him on the ground.

Just like Conor can definitely find an opportunity to capitalize with a 4+ piece combo. He'd need 4 or more at end of his range left straights/overhands though...

Back