Does anyone actually like truffle oil?

mb23100

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
One of our restaurants at work puts it on all kinds of stuff and it seems to be universally hated by the entire staff and guests. I think it tastes like dirt and is too overpowering.Does anyone actually like the taste? Seems like pretentious crap too me. I know it's expensive. Seems like they add this crap to more and more stuff at restaurants.

Last edited:
Years ago I went to a wedding where they served mac and cheese as one of the snacks. I was like eh whatever, it's just mac and cheese. But then I tasted it and georgetakeiohmy.jpg, it was delicious. Found out they made it with truffle oil.

I became a truffle believer that day.

Restaurants and pretentious bars keep putting that shit on fries and ruining them. Dafuq they do that for, tastes terrible, smells worse

Restaurants and pretentious bars keep putting that shit on fries and ruining them. Dafuq they do that for, tastes terrible, smells worse

I went to a restaurant the other day, and they had truffle fries. Shit costs 15 dollars.

I told them I just wanted regular fries and they tried to upsell me. I'm not paying 15 dollars for a dollar's worth of potatoes and 50 cents worth of truffle oil.

I went to a restaurant the other day, and they had truffle fries. Shit costs 15 dollars.

I told them I just wanted regular fries and they tried to upsell me. I'm not paying 15 dollars for a dollar's worth of potatoes and 50 cents worth of truffle oil.

Not to dilute your post, but a dollar's worth of potatoes is 5 LBS or half a sack.

It's literally 10 cents worth of potatoes at most, which would fill a lunch bag in fry form.

You're walkin' away from a deal here! They literally just want to help you!

Not to dilute your post, but a dollar's worth of potatoes is 5 LBS or half a sack.

It's literally 10 cents worth of potatoes at most, which would fill a lunch bag in fry form.

You're walkin away from a deal here, they're just trying to help you!

So what is really happening is that they want 15 dollars for 65 cents of product.

Yeah, never gonna happen.

So what is really happening is that they want 15 dollars for 65 cents of product.

Yeah, never gonna happen.

That's exactly it. Except that's if they buy potatoes from the grocery at the same price as everyone else. More likely they get them at least twice as cheap.

I dunno, man. It sounds to me like you're afraid of value...

That's exactly it. Except that's if they buy potatoes from the grocery at the same price as everyone else. More likely they get them at least twice as cheap.

I dunno, man. It sounds to me like you're afraid of value...

Perhaps.

The only truffle oil I've tasted is olive oil flavored with truffle, and for me it was like why do that when a good olive oil on its own is perfection. According to the label, it was truffle oil. It could not hold a candle to a fine olive oil. Speaking of truffles, any time I've had truffles it's been disappointing, probably because as truffles are so expensive restaurants cut corners by making their truffle dumplings mostly mushroom and putting tasteless flecks of truffle on their truffle pizzas, for example. So this makes me think that your restaurant has probably cut corners and is either not serving a pure truffle oil, serving a low-quality truffle oil, or serving a cheap oil with a tiny bit of truffle in it and calling it truffle oil.

Final thought - A fine cold-pressed extra virgin olive oil can do everything and more that your truffle oil can do, and is so delicious and delectable, so why the fuck bother with the truffle oil.

Last edited:

And the best part is truffle oil has nothing to do with truffles.

It's a made up substance, manufactured just like perfume, entirely fake and chemical.

I used to be a buyer for a high end catering company. We used to keep the expensive stuff in our office, so it wouldn't get "lost" in the warehouse. One of those expensive things was truffle oil. A few times chefs dropped and broke one of those glass bottles..

The smell was so horrible we had to leave the office for a few hours.

I can't fathom how people cook with that

Back