Does anyone actually like their life?

Seriously

Eagle video

watch it now

omg omg omg

Happily married, don't hate my job and sometimes genuinely enjoy it, would like to make more but I make enough to go out and have some fun and the occasional small vacations, have two pups, get along great with my fam.

This is a complicated question for me - I suppose it is pretty telling that I can't definitively say that I enjoy life.

Broadly speaking, I have things that I enjoy. I have a wonderful family who I love dearly, a promising career, and as far as I can tell, I am reasonably healthy. But I would be lying to say that I have found purpose - in alot of ways, it feels like I am waiting for that "a-ha" moment, where the final piece of the puzzle falls into place and I can say feel content. It feels as though I am always wanting something more (not material, as money has legitimately never mattered all that much to me), but I couldn't tell you what I want more of.

What makes it all the more unsettling is that I know I should be happy based on what I have.
Your purpose should be tied up in your career, otherwise it's just a job. Somewhere along the way you goofed. Probably going to school for something you felt wasn't your purpose

That is something I like to hear. I heard Mcgregor say the samething especially coming from humble beginnings. Have you ever tried meditation or reading ecky bro?

It's definitely something that one must stay mindful of with regards to the depression. I've been down the pharma road trying to combat it, and that just left me feeling more empty than where I started (countless SSRI's and others, I won't get started on how I feel about benzos and the over prescribed epidemic in the states). My bits of success have always resulted from working out, having a decent diet (especially the roller coaster of how sugars affect the nervous system), and just staying mindful of oneself knowing that just because you feel a certain way, it doesn't necessarily reflect where your life is at in that moment.

Meditation is good, but I don't put enough work in on that front to truly say if it really helps or nay. Reading ecky?? Ecky comes up as a UK colloquialism for ecstasy. Is that what you were referencing in your post?

Your purpose should be tied up in your career, otherwise it's just a job. Somewhere along the way you goofed. Probably going to school for something you felt wasn't your purpose

I actually genuinely can't answer that question. At a broadly conceptual level, I love it - I think I value intellectual curiosity and freedom more so than pretty much anything else in a job. Academia and the university environment readily lends itself to that (I'm a professor/research scientist). However, I don't think the subject matter itself matters all that much to me. You could replace my specialty with something completely different, and I don't think I would really care all that much. The enjoyment I derive is in the process of asking a question, and attempting to answer it.

With that being said, I don't know how many people can genuinely find purpose in an occupation. Outside of teachers and doctors, I have a hard time understanding how people can get excited about the work that they do, or at least go as far to say that it is their life's purpose.

It's definitely something that one must stay mindful of with regards to the depression. I've been down the pharma road trying to combat it, and that just left me feeling more empty than where I started (countless SSRI's and others, I won't get started on how I feel about benzos and the over prescribed epidemic in the states). My bits of success have always resulted from working out, having a decent diet (especially the roller coaster of how sugars affect the nervous system), and just staying mindful of oneself knowing that just because you feel a certain way, it doesn't necessarily reflect where your life is at in that moment.

Meditation is good, but I don't put enough work in on that front to truly say if it really helps or nay. Reading ecky?? Ecky comes up as a UK colloquialism for ecstasy. Is that what you were referencing in your post?

Ecky as in Eckhart Tolle. You can download much of it via pdf. Great rad. Likely, it is suffering but mind made suffering. Taking thoughts too seriously. Ever try 5HTP? You can spike serotonin, gaba, dopamine through diet.

I actually genuinely can't answer that question. At a broadly conceptual level, I love it - I think I value intellectual curiosity and freedom more so than pretty much anything else in a job. Academia and the university environment readily lends itself to that (I'm a professor/research scientist). However, I don't think the subject matter itself matters all that much to me. You could replace my specialty with something completely different, and I don't think I would really care all that much. The enjoyment I derive is in the process of asking a question, and attempting to answer it.

With that being said, I don't know how many people can genuinely find purpose in an occupation. Outside of teachers and doctors, I have a hard time understanding how people can get excited about the work that they do, or at least go as far to say that it is their life's purpose.

It's really not that profound of a question.

Most software engineers have a passion for developing and writing software. Their purpose is to create software that has an impact on peoples lives.

I plan on going to law school for environmental law because I want to combat companies that violate environmental regulations and protect the earth.

An airline pilot has a passion for flying and being in the air.

A soldier has a passion for defending his/her country and they feel it's their purpose.

The only time there isn't a purpose in your job is if it's some mundane bullshit.

seen alot and done alot of dumb regrettable things
but wouldnt change any of it to
not have my wife and kids
do i wish i had more money or a bigger house? yeah but thats material shit

My parents are up in years. Its nice to visit them every weekend. Do you like your parents?

i live a half-hour away from my parents, and i like it a lot. it's nice to be close, but not too close, if you know what i mean lol.

as for this thread, yeah i generally like my life. there are times when my job gets too busy and stressful. but all-in-all, things are pretty good for me. can't complain when i see or hear how others are living their lives.

My life is pretty good

I'm happy and healthy and so is my family

Ecky as in Eckhart Tolle. You can download much of it via pdf. Great rad. Likely, it is suffering but mind made suffering. Taking thoughts too seriously. Ever try 5HTP? You can spike serotonin, gaba, dopamine through diet.

Interesting, I'll look into that. You can never know all there is to know, so I gladly welcome suggestions.

With regards to 5-HTP, yessir, am aware and have had mixed bag results but still always keep a bottle in my pantry. I've personally found a good multivitamin and fish oil capsules to make my list of things that I know that help me. Plenty of vitamin D is another big one. The more naturally occurring, the better. Being 32 now, I've spent a good 15 years studying about neurotransmitters and the drugs/diet that affect them. Good mention on the big 3 (serotonin, dopamine, and GABA).

Im pretty happy with my life. I lived way to hard for many years and the last 5 shit has really come together for me in a big way.

My jobs cool my lady is top notch and I am just in general enjoying the ride. Im setting goals and meeting them , I havent had my cable or heat shut off in years I get to test medibles talk to people all day and rock ska and kevin gates every waking hour of the day.

Whats not to love ?

I can't get on board with that statement. Many of don't come from places of means financially which greatly diminishes the amount of career opportunities due to financial obligations. Many times we choose or are forced to go down paths that later determines our career path due to having to meet this obligations.

Now a statement I can get behind is that our career should give us the means for a pursuit to find purpose in our life. I work in the field that I'm in because I have a natural ability to understand IT engineering concepts and it pays so much better than where I initially landed career wise (insurance claims). I don't find much purpose other than it paying my bills. Don't get me wrong, I dig the admiration from my peers and it's fun saying I'm an engineer, especially when I go to visit back home where factory work is the status quo.

I can't get on board with that statement. Many of don't come from places of means financially which greatly diminishes the amount of career opportunities due to financial obligations. Many times we choose or are forced to go down paths that later determines our career path due to having to meet this obligations.

I hate to interrupt but I come from the slums and dont have anything but a ged and im still making a go of things. Sure it makes shit harder but a lot of times the only thing that holds us back is ourselves and the day I finally learned that is the day my situation changed. When you are coming from the bottom you gotta really want it ya know

I hate to interrupt but I come from the slums and dont have anything but a ged and im still making a go of things. Sure it makes shit harder but a lot of times the only thing that holds us back is ourselves and the day I finally learned that is the day my situation changed. When you are coming from the bottom you gotta really want it ya know

Oh yeah, not coming from means will never be a valid enough reason to not make something of your life in my book. In my previous post it states that I was born into low income housing but that didn't stop me from pursuing two separate careers, the latter being a great career decision. I was commenting on the post about the statement that your purpose should be intertwined in your career.

Now a statement I can get behind is that our career should give us the means for a pursuit to find purpose in our life. I work in the field that I'm in because I have a natural ability to understand IT engineering concepts and it pays so much better than where I initially landed career wise (insurance claims). I don't find much purpose other than it paying my bills. Don't get me wrong, I dig the admiration from my peers and it's fun saying I'm an engineer, especially when I go to visit back home where factory work is the status quo.
What gets you motivated to get up and work day in, day out? If it's only for the paycheck.

What gets you motivated to get up and work day in, day out? If it's only for the paycheck.

It's not for the piece of paper that is the paycheck. It's what that paycheck represents. In that I mean it allows me the ability to pursue all of the things I am passionate about with my time away from work. It gives me the security of knowing I can take care of myself and the people I care about. IMHO, it should never be about the money, but what you do with it.

Oh yeah, not coming from means will never be a valid enough reason to not make something of your life in my book. In my previous post it states that I was born into low income housing but that didn't stop me from pursuing two separate careers, the latter being a great career decision. I was commenting on the post about the statement that your purpose should be intertwined in your career

My bad dude i missed that. I agree with all of that. If you are gonna spend a life time at work you def gotta find something you enjoy and makes you content or you gonna end up miserable.

I think too many people think success = money and dont ever think about success being doing what you want to do for the rest of your life. What good is being rich if you spent your entire life unhappy ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back