Does anybody think Barboza is a worse match-up for Khabib than Ferguson is?

Kung Fu bb

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
Tony was able to finish Lee on the ground, but Lee was having success there before he gassed badly because of the staph.
Khabib's cardio is pretty good, he wouldn´t get tired so easily.... so regardless of Tony's high level on the ground, the smartest approach against Khabib is to keep the fight on the feet instead of grappling him. We already know he´s a beast in the grappling department.

Because of his explosiveness and his brutal kicks and knees I feel like Barboza would have better chances than Tony of finishing Khabib on the feet, and if you´re beating Khabib that´s where it needs to be done, on the feet.

People will say that if Barboza gets taken down he would be in huge trouble. And it´s true, he would.... But Tony would too....

Thoughts?
1-2.gif

ufc-on-fox-20-highlights-watch-how-edson-barboza-brutalized-gilbert-melendez-with-legkick-1070158.gif
barboza-lullo-gif.gif

source.gif

Nope. Ferguson's cardio/toughness/sub ability is a nightmare for Khabib in a 5 round fight.

I think he is Khabib's foil just like Nate was Conor's.

Yes, Barboza's explosiveness makes him a bigger threat. Tony's main weapons are his durability and sub game, Khabib can shut them down easily. I really don't think Khabib can be subbed, unless it is by someone with Werdum-like BJJ and Ferg is not on that level

I think so too. I'd favor Khabib against Tony simply because I think the fight would end up on the mat and I believe Khabib is better there. Barboza on the other hand is one of the biggest most explosive guys on the division, and fights at a distance that would force Khabib to take risks in other to initiate the grappling. On the other hand, his kicking arsenal also makes him vulnerable to getting taken down, and his chin is suspect. It's a fun matchup to think about.

Nope. Ferguson's cardio/toughness/sub ability is a nightmare for Khabib in a 5 round fight.

I think he is Khabib's foil just like Nate was Conor's.
Didn´t Castillo keep him on the ground no problem? A lot of people thought Castillo won that fight.

Barboza is much more dangerous on the feet than Tony.

Khabib out cardios Barboza but Ferg is another story

It's debatable but I'd say Tony is still the bigger challenge for a few reasons.

1) That monster cardio makes him a bitch to fight in a 5 rounder. Khabib has shown to be able to do 3 rounders without fading. So his tank runs out somewhere between rounds 4-5, if at all. It's untested waters for Khabib and where Tony thrives.

2) While Edson's low kicks are a big threat, one caught mid or high kick is an immediate game over. Against Khabib, he'd be limited in his approach. No telling how he performs knowing that.

3) Tony's sub defense and bottom game are strong. Khabib would have to work harder than usual to dominate Tony like he does everyone else. A finish is possible but not the most likely outcome.

I think when people get this high up in the division any of the opponents are tough.

The top 5 in Lightweight can all end fights in different ways.

It wouldn't surprise me if Barboza caught Khabib clean and knocked him stiff. That being said i also see Khabib having his way with him and just mauling him and making him look average.

Nurmagomedov vs. Ferguson
Nurmagomedov vs. Barboza
Ferguson vs. Barboza

They are all tough fights. Look at Ferguson vs. Barboza that was a bloody war, it was an epic fight with an incredible finish.

Could go either way.

Habib looked horrible with MJ on the feet and amazing on the ground.

If Edson can keep it standing it's good night Irene.

I think when people get this high up in the division any of the opponents are tough.

The top 5 in Lightweight can all end fights in different ways.

It wouldn't surprise me if Barboza caught Khabib clean and knocked him stiff. That being said i also see Khabib having his way with him and just mauling him and making him look average.

Nurmagomedov vs. Ferguson
Nurmagomedov vs. Barboza
Ferguson vs. Barboza

They are all tough fights. Look at Ferguson vs. Barboza that was a bloody war, it was an epic fight with an incredible finish.
Yep, they can all finish fights in different ways.
That was a war, but Barboza took the fight on short notice, I still want to see a full camp Barboza against Tony.

Yep, they can all finish fights in different ways.
That was a war, but Barboza took the fight on short notice, I still want to see a full camp Barboza against Tony.
Yep i would love to see that fight again just because it was such a bloodbath but i reckon Barboza vs. Mcgregor could be a sick fight you talk about a styles clash, somebody 100% will go down in that one.

Yes, Barboza's explosiveness makes him a bigger threat. Tony's main weapons are his durability and sub game, Khabib can shut them down easily. I really don't think Khabib can be subbed, unless it is by someone with Werdum-like BJJ and Ferg is not on that level

Anyone who gasses can be subbed. And Barboza is going to be much more easier to break than Tony.

Anyone who gasses can be subbed. And Barboza is going to be much more easier to break than Tony.

I think Khabib has better than average cardio. Being born and raised at altitude makes him have naturally higher levels of red blood cells than most fighters

I think Khabib has better than average cardio. Being born and raised at altitude makes him have naturally higher levels of red blood cells than most fighters

Meh. Cutting the amount of weight he does and never going 5 rounds before is going to be interesting. It's not like he can just lay and pray on Tony. Tony is going to be active as fuck and constantly throwing elbows or setting up subs. There isn't going to be any rest.

I do

I think Khabib beats both but I don't think Ferguson has anything for him. While his striking offense is good his striking defense has holes and opens him up to a TD. On the ground Khabib has his way with him.

Barboza has THE BEST TDD at LW. The numbers back it up. (It doesn't mean Khabib won't take him down) And he has 1 strike KO power so Khabib has to be wary. He slips and he can go from fine to smelling the salt.

Last edited:
Meh. Cutting the amount of weight he does and never going 5 rounds before is going to be interesting. It's not like he can just lay and pray on Tony. Tony is going to be active as fuck and constantly throwing elbows or setting up subs. There isn't going to be any rest.
Yeah, both will be active, but Khabib will have the superior position and will be raining bombs.... it´s not like Tony will be able to easily throw elbows or set up subs when he´s getting mauled.
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

tumblr_mgxfe2iEc61qaa8d1o1_500.gif

I think Barboza is a nightmare matchup for Conor, as he's simply better on the feet than Conor, but I think Barboza's weaknesses play to Khabib's strengths.

Back