Does anybody else think GTA IV sucked?

Cars drove like ass but Niko was awesome! I loved the opening when he got off the boat, it was incredible. Niko's strut and punching/fighting pedestrians hand to hand was miles better than anything in GTA V. He's such a badass.

AnxiousKnobbyFieldmouse-size_restricted.gif

p4maQEp.gif

I do remember hating restarting missions and piloting helicopters. The Ballad of Gay Tony had one mission I took forever to pass, believe it was the yacht/Heli mission, I'm getting triggered just thinking about it.

All in all though, an amazing experience.

Yep there was something great about playing an immigrant Russian who gave 0 fucks. When he saw his cousin being treated like a bitch and he handled that shit.

Didn't care much for it.

Cell phone/friend quest where very forced and the controls were bad. Story was fucking cringe worthy ("I came to USA to get away from violence but it's all I know, i got to go back to killing" :rolleyes: )

This thread inspired me to dust off GTAIV last night.
Me too.

But contrarily, I'm noticing that all my original criticisms still hold true. The characters / writing are near-cringeworthy, it's extremely difficult and frustrating to navigate throughout the city (to the point where I almost exclusively hail taxis and fast travel from one location to another), cops are on every goddamn corner, and they went fucking nuts on the "Hey Niko! Do you wanna hang out?" relationship management mode.

It's ridiculous that they actually had it so you could get called up to hang out with someone while you're already hanging out with someone else, and if you refuse, your relationship with that person degrades. Most of the relationship perks were useless anyway. And then, you only had one in-game hour (equivalent to one minute) to travel from one island to another to pick up whoever. Just poorly implemented, altogether, and I'm glad they refined and improved it in GTA V.

Alderney was so devoid of anything that it seriously could've been omitted from the map, and they should've instead used those freed up resources to design a more functional subway system (ala "Watch Dogs"). I couldn't help but feel that although the environment design is super realistic and great, that it didn't matter because most of the city lacked function.

IV was disappointing after San Andreas, but V is easily my least favorite.

I never had any issues with the controls in IV.

Didn't suck, just wasn't what I expected following the greatness of III, VC, and SA. Thankfully, Ballad of Gay Tony mostly corrected that.

I enjoyed it. I don't remember the driving being difficult.

The least favorite of my GTA games. The story was nice at first and then just got boring and the Niko's cousin guy was soooooooo annoying. The DLC episodes were pretty great though.

I'll never understand whyGTA games don't hook me. I'll play something like Far Cry and make shark skin wallets and Wallaby skin holsters all day long. Bethesda games are practically IVs of pure, unfiltered, crack laced heroin. I wanted to get every achievement of Arkham City. These open world type games usually hooks me pretty well. GTA just never does.

It's not even that I don't enjoy them. I pick them up and play them, but for some reason once I put them down I just never really get back to them.

Many aspects of GTA IV are better than GTA V and I think the game is still underrated. I find myself replaying the missions in IV a lot more than V.

I replay V a lot more overall but not for the story. I replay it for the amazing world it offers. The story and missions however, leave a lot to be desired.

Not only did they remove the rags to riches progression that was in every GTA game before it, but they also completely removed the crime bosses! That Martin Madrazo guy was literally the only mob boss character in the game and he turned out to be a bitch in the end.

I miss the high quantity, shorter missions from IV and also all the crime bosses and gangsters. The only missions in GTA V that actually felt like GTA were the few ones you did as Franklin in the hood areas.

I'll never understand whyGTA games don't hook me. I'll play something like Far Cry and make shark skin wallets and Wallaby skin holsters all day long. Bethesda games are practically IVs of pure, unfiltered, crack laced heroin. I wanted to get every achievement of Arkham City. These open world type games usually hooks me pretty well. GTA just never does.

It's not even that I don't enjoy them. I pick them up and play them, but for some reason once I put them down I just never really get back to them.

One thing cool thing that GTA has over Far Cry and Bethesda games is subtle humor. The things the NPCs say are truly awesome at times, especially on multiple playthroughs.

Not to mention the radio stations that are pure satirical gold and often include fairly known celebrities.

I like all these types of games though.

It's ridiculous that they actually had it so you could get called up to hang out with someone while you're already hanging out with someone else, and if you refuse, your relationship with that person degrades. Most of the relationship perks were useless anyway. And then, you only had one in-game hour (equivalent to one minute) to travel from one island to another to pick up whoever. Just poorly implemented, altogether, and I'm glad they refined and improved it in GTA V.

This was annoying to me for a bit until I figured out that if you accept a date and then cancel it immediately afterward, you won't lose any friend points. Made it a lot easier to deal with.

4 was a great game.. I have played through all of them because Im old as fuck except for the chinatown one, but that was mainly handheld. I also believe that my friend and I couldve been responsible for the elvis impersonators. Right after we played gta 1 we emailed someone at rockstar a strongly worded email begging for elvis impersonators in the game. Youre all welcome.
running over those long lines of Elvis impersonators was one of the most memorable parts of a very memorable game, so yeah thanks for that buddy <Lmaoo>

Last edited:
I played the shit out of the main campaign as well as the expansion packs. The driving took some getting used to, but I eventually mastered it. The soundtrack was okay overall, but disappointing compared to Vice City and San Andreas which were the GOAT. I still think it's a great game overall, but I would rank it the worst of the GTA games since III.

It was definitely a lot less ambitious than San Andreas. They got their ambition back with V which took the concept of 3 cities and instead turned it into 3 characters in a massive city with an expansive surrounding area. I would imagine that in the next game, they will give us the best of both worlds, with 3 large cities and surrounding areas, as well as 3 characters.

Back to IV, one thing I will say is that while V was a superior game overall, I did find the main character of Niko and the voice acting to be more compelling than the characters of V, which seemed to be more for comedic effect and the game was so well polished it compensated for how pointless the story was. IV also had superior hand-to-hand fighting mechanics.

Yes it did. I played a good few hours, then stuck to online only. That's where GTA4 shined. The gameplay was definitely watered down compared to what you could do in San Andreas. Niko was a shitty main and the story just didn't make you care about any one.

Back