Does anybody else feel that 360 and PS3 games still hold up really well?

If either of my ps3 or xbox 360 still worked i would enjoy the many digital games i purchased.

enhanced-buzz-5712-1361903342-0.jpeg

Polygon counts haven't been an issue really since 360/PS3 put out plenty of polygons.

What makes games look better now are the advanced rendering techniques, physically based shaders, global illumination, better LOD/less pop-ins, etc...

the previous gen still has the best games. the current gen library has been quite disappointing, imo.

...so, yes, the last gen still holds up.

I only keep my PS3 around so I can finish up the Yakuza games and for Demon's Souls.

The games all look rough as hell with fluctuating frame rates, long load times and the PS3 menu is such a chore to use. I'm ready for the PS5 already. Current gen is already holding things back.

The catalog of last gen consoles is incredible, I'd argue the GOAT gen of gaming thus far, and I still have a sizable stack of 360 and PS3 games that I look forward to getting around to someday. Shit, I still buy games for those systems every now and then.

I've definitely not seen a level of graphical improvements that would make last gen games seem shitty in comparison.

Besides, I think games have reached a level of artistry to where you have games like Bioshock for instance with a visual style and narrative that is so great that the experience will stand on it's own regardless. It's becoming less and less about frame rates and resolutions for me as I play more games that are beautiful and immersive without being graphically intensive.

Graphics have very little to do with whether or not a game "holds up", IMO. Art direction and art design endure...graphical realism & horsepower will always succumb rather quickly to Moore's Law.

Ultimately, gameplay is all that really matters.

Go PC or go home. No reason to pay hundreds for a console anymore. I can play any games on my PC. Only reason why some games are console only is for cash grab. All games should be made available for PC.

Go PC or go home. No reason to pay hundreds for a console anymore. I can play any games on my PC. Only reason why some games are console only is for cash grab. All games should be made available for PC.
This is what I tell people, lately. Unless you are married to a hard console exclusive...I'm just not sure what sense consoles make anymore.

Everyone is connected to the internet with drivers and patches free, auto-detecting, and auto-updating, and Steam yokes everything together nearly as tidily as the Microsoft and Sony platforms/stores. Console generations don't even describe specific pieces of hardware, anymore, but the operating systems, with releases like the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X, and it even looks like the PS5 might just be yet another hardware update to that come 2019:
http://gamingbolt.com/ps5-will-like...-will-possibly-launch-in-2019-michael-pachter

With both consoles operating on the same x86 hardware as PCs both Microsoft and Sony are paying developers not just to develop exclusives, but effectively as a bribe not to port their games, since it's so easy, and Microsoft recently said, "Fugg that, " and threw in the towel on the strategy. Additionally, it's easy to get gaming class PCs in form factors comparably compact to the consoles, including even laptops, and among traditional form factors there are legit AIO builds for ~$700. It's tough to talk yourself out of that when the baseline for a regular office/home PC or laptop opens in the $300-$400 range-- meaning the cost of the gaming PC is no greater a surplus to that inevitable expenditure than buying a gaming console in addition to the basic computer:

The reason to buy a console is if you want to play sports or fighting games online with a large pool of players

There are almost no sports games on PC

NBA 2K series is shit on PC

There are no NFL or MLB games on PC

When any new AAA game comes out the console versions outsell the PC versions exponentially, barring a VERY few exceptions

For most PC games, the online communities dont last because everybody hops on the latest Early Access title, and in addition there are just so many games to play the population per game gets spread thin

Popular games on PC are Dota 2, League of Legends, WoW, Counterstrike, Rocket League

And whatever flavor of the month early access game, currently Playerunknown Battlegrounds

I'm a PC gamer and while graphics on this side are certainly (can be) better if you spend enough, if you just want to pop a game in and get into full online lobbies you should get an xbox or playstation

I been playing GTA 4 The Lost And The Damned and was thinking that the graphics hold up pretty good.

When i was a kid, all i raved about were graphics,putting genesis over snes. I actually didn'tlikelike genesis sound more than anything.

Now shit is real good in the graphics department and sound. Bioshock made lovewith my eyes while Alien Isolation whispered goose bumps into my ears.

Today, i want replayablity.

The Last of Us
MSS4
Heavy Rain

Three last-last gen games, working on decade-old hardware, that look better than the majority of games released today.

Microsoft can talk all the shit they want about the developing the most powerful console, but gamers know it's all about the games. It's always been about the games, and the quality of the developers making them.

Graphics aren't as impressive anymore because all these engines exist now

Anybody can get on Unity or Unreal and there you have an engine with built in great graphics, you just need to supply the textures (which you can also get for free) and make the models (also available free if you dont want to make them yourself)

You don't even need to do much real "programming" anymore unless you are making a really unique kind of game with unique scripting not built into the engine itself

An engine like Unreal has heaps of built in scripts so for something like a story-based FPS its all ready made you just need to insert your story and textures

The Last of Us
MSS4
Heavy Rain

Three last-last gen games, working on decade-old hardware, that look better than the majority of games released today.

Have you played Heavy Rain recently? It's a little rough around the edges. Still looks good, but there's no denying that it's presentation has been far surpassed by this gen. It was even surpassed by QD's follow up "Beyond Two Souls" on the PS3 as well. That would actually be a better example, as that game's graphics are quite impressive(even though the game kind of sucks)

MGS 4 is a marvel though. It's insane that it was released damn near a decade ago. MGS5 also played and looked fantastic on last gen.

"The Last Of Us" honestly made me think we didn't need new consoles at the time. That game on the PS3 legit looks just as good as most of what's released today.

All in all, it's hard to argue that graphics aren't better today. They're just not substantially better for the most part. Few titles have really blown me away in the visuals department.

Have you played Heavy Rain recently? It's a little rough around the edges. Still looks good, but there's no denying that it's presentation has been far surpassed by this gen.

Haven't played it since around the time it came out, so I'm operating on memory.

But, it was groundbreaking at the time and I thought it was on MGS4's graphical level.

I couldn't give a shit less about graphics.

I still love my Virtua Fighter on the 32x
Virtua%20Fighter%20(32X)3.jpg

Like some others I've been gaming for 30 years, and I'm still blown away by how far games have evolved. I play my PS3 all the time and haven't bothered with the current gen. I won't either, I'm working on a PC build, I don't see the point of a PS4 when the games I want to play are also on PC and better there.

the previous gen still has the best games. the current gen library has been quite disappointing, imo.

...so, yes, the last gen still holds up.
This generation has really been ruled by the franchise machination. It was prevalent in the sports and shooter genres earlier, but I feel like the industry is becoming like film, terrified to put money behind a original IP.

Have you played Heavy Rain recently? It's a little rough around the edges. Still looks good, but there's no denying that it's presentation has been far surpassed by this gen. It was even surpassed by QD's follow up "Beyond Two Souls" on the PS3 as well. That would actually be a better example, as that game's graphics are quite impressive(even though the game kind of sucks)

MGS 4 is a marvel though. It's insane that it was released damn near a decade ago. MGS5 also played and looked fantastic on last gen.

"The Last Of Us" honestly made me think we didn't need new consoles at the time. That game on the PS3 legit looks just as good as most of what's released today.

All in all, it's hard to argue that graphics aren't better today. They're just not substantially better for the most part. Few titles have really blown me away in the visuals department.

Kinda hard to swallow this when we had Crysis 1 in 2007 which even today looks better then everything on last gen.

Kinda hard to swallow this when we had Crysis 1 in 2007 which even today looks better then everything on last gen.

With mods, maybe. The Crysis that was originally released, looks no better than COD4.

It was a wonder when it came out though.

Back