Does anybody do 5 day splits?

Tanner stage 4

Great, so people shouldn't be coached according to an assessment of their actual physical abilities, but according to the amount of pubic hair they have. Makes sense. Thank god for guidelines developed in the dark ages of medicine that were never intended to be applied to athletic training in 2017.

So this is your training philosophy in a nutshell:

Novice pre-adolescent: general training

Novice adolescent and above: specific training.

Novice adult who hasn't moved in years or decades: same as adolescent.

Intermediate adult: more general, like the child.

Loving the consistency of this. Can't wait for what's next. What a ride.

You can't have thought he looked that good as you said he didn't eat correctly and Rip most likely wasn't happy with how he looked.

at first look at just the one picture with the lighting and really not tan...not a bodybuidler body but after looking at the article i would say he was in a much better place physically in the second picture...I wouldnt take my shirt off if i was him but definitely better than his skinny former self

Great, so people shouldn't be coached according to an assessment of their actual physical abilities, but according to the amount of pubic hair they have. Makes sense. Thank god for guidelines developed in the dark ages of medicine that were never intended to be applied to athletic training in 2017.

So this is your training philosophy in a nutshell:

Novice pre-adolescent: general training

Novice adolescent and above: specific training.

Novice adult who hasn't moved in years or decades: same as adolescent.

Intermediate adult: more general, like the child.

Loving the consistency of this. Can't wait for what's next. What a ride.

your little fake chain of events here is amusing but no that isnt what i said at all.....a kid that cannot withstand recovery from a general strength program like starting strength shouldnt do it...they should learn how to use their bodies for future athletic success....you are once again making broad generalizations based on God knows what but for an wanna be athlete he needs to get stronger in the basic movements.....not saying everyone can do the movements off the bat either but Rippetoe has shown that the large majority of people can learn the basic strength movements and they should no matter their goals.....intermediate adult depends on what they want to train for so i dont know where you came up with this bullshit either

The consistency of your argument is degrading about as rapidly as your writing ability. Neat.

a kid that cannot withstand recovery from a general strength program like starting strength shouldnt do it...

This is one thing I picked out of your incoherent rambling. Kids can't recover now? I can count the amount of times I've seen a kid get DOMS after a class on one hand. This is the one thing they do better than every other age group. The real reason why kids do general training is because they lack coordination and kinaesthetic awareness, and need to develop muscle. Oddly enough, this is similar to many adults with no athletic history, or decades of detraining. Hence, why general training is ideal for both populations, regardless of age.

You're just wrong on this. Just look at someone like Christopher Sommer's Gymnastic Bodies programming, which is targeted to the general adult population. His programming is almost all preparatory and general and only gets specific after people have mastered basic general movements - the rate of progression in his programming is immensely slow compared to something like SS. Just in case you want to question his credentials, he's sent dozens of athletes to the Olympics.

did you see the 2 pictures in the article i posted?

Yes but the picture is with him with a t-shirt on and arms crossed. No point using that to judge anything when there is already a picture of him topless.

at first look at just the one picture with the lighting and really not tan...not a bodybuidler body but after looking at the article i would say he was in a much better place physically in the second picture...I wouldnt take my shirt off if i was him but definitely better than his skinny former self

I know you feel you have to defend Rip but let's be honest, he looks awful. He was so skinny to start with and should have been able to gain 20-30 lbs in 6 months while still seeing his abs. There isn't any reason to get that fat. Also the claim that he gained 46lbs of lean mass is bullshit. He should know that using calipers isn't accurate.

Why would you question a program that has stood the test of time like that when doing it in an optimal manner produces results like no other program. Why would you fix what isnt broken?

Produces results like no other program?! This is bullshit. It's a decent program but that claim is ridiculous.

Last edited:
Well i guess we will end this in somewhat of a stalemate.....if you really want to know why kids cant recoer from a linear progression feel free to pick up or pirate a copy of the new PPST3 and all of this is in there....most of you regulars think I am just defending Rippetoe as if he is some sort of God or something and I think that you guys just want to be "anti-Rippetoean" for whatever reason you have

at any rate i wish you all luck i your training and i wish you luck if you are indeed training people

Yes but the picture is with him with a t-shirt on and arms crossed. No point using that to judge anything when there is already a picture of him topless.

I know you feel you have to defend Rip but let's be honest, he looks awful. He was so skinny to start with and should have been able to gain 20-30 lbs in 6 months while still seeing his abs. There isn't any reason to get that fat. Also the claim that he gained 46lbs of lean mass is bullshit. He should know that using calipers isn't accurate.

Produces results like no other program?! This is bullshit. It's a decent program but that claim is ridiculous.

this thinking is ridiculous because people have this fear of getting fat when in fact if you have the discipline to actually get strong then you have the discipline to go through the easy process of stripping bodyfat you dont need

name another program that has produced more results in people than 5x5 and its variants...good luck

For sure 100%, bro.

I've made nothing but shit posts in this thread. I've contributed nothing. can see why people on here complain about me all the time.

i wouldnt say all of it was shit...alot of it was and then the Rippetoe hate ensued

you are just misinformed...a good lifter in your own right but misinformed

this thinking is ridiculous because people have this fear of getting fat when in fact if you have the discipline to actually get strong then you have the discipline to go through the easy process of stripping bodyfat you dont need

name another program that has produced more results in people than 5x5 and its variants...good luck

You don't need to get fat while bulking and don't need to be fat to get strong, especially not as fat as Zach got. I'm 5'10 or 5'11 and I've bulked up from under 60kg and now weigh a lean 92kg and haven't been fat at any point. There is a difference between gaining fat and getting fat.

You could achieve the same or better results with any basic upper/lower or legs push pull routine (and i did). There isn't anything special about 5 x 5 or 3 x 5 full body routines. In fact, I haven't seen anyone do Starting Strength and gain as much muscle as I did when I started training and I was 30 years old!.

You don't need to get fat while bulking and don't need to be fat to get strong, especially not as fat as Zach got. I'm 5'10 or 5'11 and I've bulked up from under 60kg and now weigh a lean 92kg and haven't been fat at any point. There is a difference between gaining fat and getting fat.

You could achieve the same or better results with any basic upper/lower or legs push pull routine (and i did). There isn't anything special about 5 x 5 or 3 x 5 full body routines. In fact, I haven't seen anyone do Starting Strength and gain as much muscle as I did when I started training.

that is one way to do it....you will gain fat when bulking though that is not debatable now what proportion of fat you gain when bulking compared to muscle will depend on how diligent you are with diet......getting 20% bf or even little over is another way to do and simply cut the extra fat when it is time and try to retain the muscle you gain

if you are planning on being an elite powerlifter you will have to get over 20%bf because that is the only way you will be able to stack on as much muscle as you possibly can...iow the more trained you are the harder it is to gain muscle(duh) so your rate of fat gain to muscle will go up eventually

i wouldnt say all of it was shit...alot of it was and then the Rippetoe hate ensued

you are just misinformed...a good lifter in your own right but misinformed

Well, hey man, inform me so I can get strong.

im like Budah Jim....i just sit under a tree and say ask me something mother fuckers...so ask away

3-day whole body hypertrophy phase for the next 8 weeks. Most of my training has been speed-strength & maximal strength, so this should be interesting.

I'd like to add that I am sore as shit.

.most of you regulars think I am just defending Rippetoe as if he is some sort of God or something

Most likely because you're posting bullshit like this

Why would you question a program that has stood the test of time like that when doing it in an optimal manner produces results like no other program.

There is a reason that 5x5 and its variants have stood the test of time. It simply builds strength and myofibrillar hypertophy like nothing else

This is why 5x5, SS, stronglifts etc is tried and true and has stood the test of time because the shit works. It is more optimal for any athlete including an up and coming bodybuilder than really any other program in existance.

But a program like SS takes a few months at most as I said earlier. There really is no other way to build that much strength in the basic movements that quickly and that will benefit a novice athlete more than anything. .

Do you not realise how stupid these posts are? Claiming a program is more optimal than any program in existance, It simply builds strength and myofibrillar hypertophy like nothing else, there no other way to build that much strength in the basic movements that quickly is clearly wrong. It's just not true

Then when someone post a pic of fat guy. You said

I dont know anything about this particular individual but my guess is he did not follow an appropriate diet given his circumstances. It isnt Rips job to make sure the Kid eats correctly.

he was likely happy with the strength he built not the physique which may not have been his goal....i think he was probably some skinny kid who needed to get stronger for some particular goal

When it was pointed out that you were wrong and Rip was extremely proud of his progress, so much so that he used him as an example of what you can achieve on Starting Strength, you suddenly changed your opinion and said he looked better than in the first picture. You knew he was a beginner so would have looked crap to start but once you realised Rip was happy you thought it was decent progress. Anyone who thinks he looked good for that much training is an idiot.

I can't possibly think why people think you're just defending him!

At least pokerandbeer has jumped the shark, at this point.

I don't think anyone, even new people that stumble in here, take him seriously. Even if/when the material he's posting has some merit, his writing and grammar skills are so poor, people probably don't bother trying to read them.

Back