Does Animal Protein have a detrimental effect on Bone Health?

You make it sound as though eating fruits and veggies (aka. alkaline foods) are not necessary for long term health.

Of course nobody is going to develop acidosis or health issues because they ate one big steak and didn't eat a salad or alkaline foods to aid in the buffering process. Not a healthy person at least.

Yes! all these mechanisms, buffering systems, metabolic processes, etc. help maintain homeostasis not only in your blood but in the body as a whole.
I mean, i'm all for meat, animal and animal-by products. But i'm also a proponent for eating alkaline foods. There is no fallacy in the benefits of a balanced acid/alkaline diet. You can't expect to live a long healthy life by eating a highly acidic diet. No way! Your body can only handle so much before it starts to sway away from homeostasis.

Eating vegetables is absolutely beneficial to your long term health... but acidosis is caused by other health factors, not what you eat. The mechanisms of homeostasis are far more powerful than the incredibly weak contributions to the pH of your body made by your food.

Eating vegetables is absolutely beneficial to your long term health... but acidosis is caused by other health factors, not what you eat. The mechanisms of homeostasis are far more powerful than the incredibly weak contributions to the pH of your body made by your food.

I completely disagree with your statement. Diet can play a key roll in the development of acidosis, directly or indirectly, and the pH of your body is highly influenced by what you eat.

I completely disagree with your statement. Diet can play a key roll in the development of acidosis, directly or indirectly, and the pH of your body is highly influenced by what you eat.

I'm sure you have sources for this woo? You might want to save yourself some time and headache by not bothering to post Altmed links or sales pitches.

I'm sure you have sources for this woo? You might want to save yourself some time and headache by not bothering to post Altmed links or sales pitches.

lol... Nah. You have me all wrong. I don't have any sales pitches or links.
If you think i'm right or wrong doesn't matter in the end, you'll believe and do what you want.
Also, you can always research yourself and make your own conclusions.
On the contrary, my point is too simple:
Just eat a balanced diet. A highly acidic diet ain't good for you. That is all.
That's my only sales pitch.

If you are that hung up on eating for "alkilinity" please post the algorithms you use to predict the net acid load of your diet.

Did I say you would not have an issue if you ate nothing but 46 ounces of red meat a day for your entire life? That's just common sense. My point is there are people that do not understand how the ph of the body is regulated, and that think some magic alkaline diet is necessary.

lol... Nah. You have me all wrong. I don't have any sales pitches or links.
If you think i'm right or wrong doesn't matter in the end, you'll believe and do what you want.
Also, you can always research yourself and make your own conclusions.
On the contrary, my point is too simple:
Just eat a balanced diet. A highly acidic diet ain't good for you. That is all.
That's my only sales pitch.

Ah, a faith based approach to science and diet.

If you are that hung up on eating for "alkilinity" please post the algorithms you use to predict the net acid load of your diet.
C'mon Scott. I'm not hung up on eating for alkalinity. I'm in favor of a balanced diet. I've said it multiple times. It's just common sense like you mention in the next paragraph.

Did I say you would not have an issue if you ate nothing but 46 ounces of red meat a day for your entire life? That's just common sense. My point is there are people that do not understand how the ph of the body is regulated, and that think some magic alkaline diet is necessary.

Sorry, no. I didn't see that post about the 46 oz of meat per day.
Thank you clarifying that. Glad we agree on common sense.

I will also have to agree with your point that people don't understand how the pH of the body is regulated. Well, this is not mainstream. Most people will not know this really. You have more knowledgeable than most actually.

I certainly don't think a "magic" alkaline diet is necessary.
But a balanced diet sure is beneficial.
I do believe that food affects your pH though. :)

As a side note, I would like to point out that while protein can produce an acid load, it also increases the body's capacity for excreting those acids.

The worst thing that will happen from a dietary imbalance that does not favor alkaline foods is possible bone mineral loss - however, it absolutely does not produce major changes in blood pH, which was my point from the start.

And really, it all comes down to is the ratio of protein, phosphorus, potassium, magnesium and calcium a person is ingesting.

Our bodies are not designed to be herbivores. We have the capacity to consume both animal and plant foods without deleterious effects.

This is simply a bit of unfortunately plausible propaganda spread by PETA and friends, which relies on information viewed through a very twisted skein. Remember, their moral objection to animal consumption means that they view preventing the deaths of animals as a moral good, even if it is achieved by deception.

Totally off topic, but interesting use of the word "skein." I suppose you can use this word the way you did. Did you mean to use it?

Way to default to wikipedia without an actual understanding of the bodies physiological processes.

Acidosis occurs when there is an underlying metabolic or systemic issue. It WILL NOT occur in a healthy human because they eat so called "acidic" food.

Humans have obscenely strong mechanisms that exist to maintain acid-base homeostasis in the blood. It is apparent that people that buy into the fallacies of acid/alkaline eating lack the knowledge that:
1.) buffering agents that reversibly bind H+ ions and impede any change in pH exist in our bodies
2.) extracellular buffers include bicarbonate and ammonia
3.) proteins and phosphate act as intracellular buffers
4.) the bicarbonate buffering system is how we maintain a relatively constant blood pH and it does a pretty good job at counteracting anything that would alter it
5.) if any of that fails your rate of breathing will change which will alter CO2 in the blood
6.) if there is still an imbalance in pH the kidneys have multiple mechanisms to control pH by the excretion of excess acid or base

Excuse my ignorance. :rolleyes:

You said no one has acidic blood and that everyone who said its possible is dumb. It is possible for your blood to be more acidic then normal. No one claimed it was from eating unhealthy diet. I was the first one to mention that acidic blood is usually experienced by someone health deficient like a diabetic. You weren't adding anything new except spreading ignorance that blood can never be acidic. But your excused.

Can you also tell me why proteins act as good buffers? Do you know which amino acid is most responsible for this and why?

Do you know which protein is responsible for buffering our blood? Do you know how it transports those H+ and CO2 molecules?

Don't be stuck up fuckhead. This isn't a biology forum and you putting people down makes you a clown.

Last edited:
As a side note, I would like to point out that while protein can produce an acid load, it also increases the body's capacity for excreting those acids.

The worst thing that will happen from a dietary imbalance that does not favor alkaline foods is possible bone mineral loss - however, it absolutely does not produce major changes in blood pH, which was my point from the start.

I agree that blood pH will remain constant even if you eat too many acidic foods thanks to the body's emergency mechanisms.
A diet high on acidic foods may not change your blood pH in the short term, but it sure does affect your body's pH. Heck, even stress affects your body's pH. And a body that's acidic is more prone to many ailments like cancer, diabetes, bone mineral loss (osteoporosis), etc.
The thing i'm defending here is that a balanced acid/alkaline diet is not BS as you stated. I'm not saying to stop eating meat. Hell no, I love my meat. Just do so in moderation and eat your vegetables if you want to be healthy. I mean really, it's only common sense.

Ok dude... Please provide one link to one study or legit source that says that you can have any measurable impact on your body's pH through diet.

There is actually a really good reason to eat alkaline foods, and that is for their nutrients and vitamins.

Back