Does Anderson's screams haunt anyone else?

It was the pure definition of a Fluke. No one practices to injure/break someone's leg with a checked kick, and there's no way to. It was a freak injury.

What are you even talking about?

Having your kick checked is one of the most painful things in martial arts.

Also Weidman LITERALLY says right after the first fight in the post fight interview that he was eating a lot of leg kicks and needs to start checking them.

How?

That's what happens when a hard kick gets checked.

If Silva set the kick up better then that wouldn't have happened.

It was a freak injury, Weidman couldn't have planned on it, and 99.9% of hard kicks (that one didn't even look that hard, tbh) don't result in injuries.

It was a freak injury, Weidman couldn't have planned on it, and 99.9% of hard kicks (that one didn't even look that hard, tbh) don't result in injuries.

You've clearly never had your shin checked by someone's knee while kicking full power.

I would rather get punched in the face full power than have that happen to me tbh.

Literally the point of checking a kick is to hurt your opponents leg.

No shit he didn't PLAN to snap Anderson's shin in half...

Just like how you don't PLAN to KO your opponent with every shot you throw, like "okay i am going to throw this punch and it'll be the one that knocks him out."

You just land a good shot and he goes out. We're you planning to KO him? No, you were just planning to punch him in the face.

Was Weidman planning to snap Silva's leg? No, he was planning to check it and hurt his leg. But his leg happened to snap. So it worked even more spectacularly than Weidman planned.

That's how fighting works. How is that not legit?

Didn't hear it cuz my buddy sitting next to me was laughing so hard.

Yep, like that. In the context of heavier stuff, something like the Anderson situation seems much milder - cleaner and a more controlled situation.

And having played a lot of sports, I have seen that kind of thing, too. It sucks in the moment, but it turns out ok. Worst was probably a compound fracture of a collarbone. That was kind of ugly.
Still a horrible injury, but your right in that he healed and is fighting again so I guess it just looks worse than it is

It was a really painful injury in the moment but in the long run, bones heal very well. Broken bones look bad but they heal almost as good as they were before the break.

Ligament tears, spinal(disc) issues and brain trauma are the real issues in this sport.

Those are the injuries with real long lasting effects. Once you hurt one of those, you will likely never truly be the same.

It was a really painful injury but in the long run, bones heal very well. Broken bones look bad but they heal almost as good as they were before the break.

Ligament tears, spinal(disc) issues and brain trauma are the real issues in this sport.

Those are the injuries with real long lasting effects. Once you hurt one of those, you will likely never truly be the same.

Has anyone else screamed like Anderson Silva in the UFC tho

Long term effects may not be as bad as other things but the immediate pain seemed epic

You've clearly never had your shin checked by someone's knee while kicking full power.

I would rather get punched in the face full power than have that happen to me tbh.

Literally the point of checking a kick is to hurt your opponents leg.

I doubt there's many fighters that agree with you. I rarely notice much pain at all when fighters have their kicks checked. The point isn't even really to hurt your opponent's leg, it's to minimize the pain inflicted on your own.

No shit he didn't PLAN to snap Anderson's shin in half...

Just like how you don't PLAN to KO your opponent with every shot you throw, like "okay i am going to throw this punch and it'll be the one that knocks him out."

You just land a good shot and he goes out. We're you planning to KO him? No, you were just planning to punch him in the face.

Was Weidman planning to snap Silva's leg? No, he was planning to check it and hurt his leg. But his leg happened to snap. So it worked even more spectacularly than Weidman planned.

That's how fighting works. How is that not legit?

False equivalence. KO's are far more common and far more likely than breaking someone's leg with a checked kick. One is a freak accident that happens about 1% of the time and can be far less planned for accurately than the other. They aren't the same.

It was the pure definition of a Fluke. No one practices to injure/break someone's leg with a checked kick, and there's no way to. It was a freak injury.

Wrong, first off Anderson destroyed his bones through steroids, like Masteron which weakens bones and he was caught using in his first ever OOC test.

now a check is when a fighter throws a his shin ( Tibia ) into the opponents knee (Patella). well 100/100 times the Patella is going to win, with weakened bones, and repeated leg checks by Chris, it's not a freak accident but a likely scenario.

AS talked about receiving what would be described as a hair line fracture in his tibia with a check legged kick that he threw earlier, so I don't see why continuing to throw leg kicks with a damaged tibia into the Patella wouldn't result in a complete fracture.

AS was ignorant, his leg was hurting from a previous leg kick, but he kept throwing it, and that's what happened.

A freak accident is something that is out of our control, but this wasn't, it could've been prevented had AS listened to his body and stop throwing leg kicks.

Fighters break there hands all the time, why is breaking your tibia such a freak accident, but your hand not a freak accident?? bones break.

I thought it was so lame how weidman was celebrating after that win... dude that was a freak accident and doesn't happen in fights that often stop acting like u knew his leg would snap lol Silva just needed to drink more calcium or something fuck Lol

Well this thread took a turn

I doubt there's many fighters that agree with you. I rarely notice much pain at all when fighters have their kicks checked. The point isn't even really to hurt your opponent's leg, it's to minimize the pain inflicted on your own.

It's both. If you check a kick right it's not going to hurt you at all but it's going to be VERY painful to your opponent.

Weidmans check was picture perfect. Just because it doesn't happen often doesn't mean it's not legit.

When the correct part of the shin hits the correct part of the knee at high enough power, it's very likely that the shin snaps as a result. We dont see it often because it has to be perfectly pulled off. It's a game of millimeters and milliseconds.

If anything, that check was much more impressive than most knockouts BECAUSE we see it so rarely. He had to catch his leg at the perfect time and with the perfect part of his own leg for that to happen.

He planned to just check a kick, instead he produced the most legendary check in history.

Wrong, first off Anderson destroyed his bones through steroids, like Masteron which weakens bones and he was caught using in his first ever OOC test.

now a check is when a fighter throws a his shin ( Tibia ) into the opponents knee (Patella). well 100/100 times the Patella is going to win, with weakened bones, and repeated leg checks by Chris, it's not a freak accident but a likely scenario.

AS talked about receiving what would be described as a hair line fracture in his tibia with a check legged kick that he threw earlier, so I don't see why continuing to throw leg kicks with a damaged tibia into the Patella wouldn't result in a complete fracture.

AS was ignorant, his leg was hurting from a previous leg kick, but he kept throwing it, and that's what happened.

A freak accident is something that is out of our control, but this wasn't, it could've been prevented had AS listened to his body and stop throwing leg kicks.

Fighters break there hands all the time, why is breaking your tibia such a freak accident, but your hand not a freak accident?? bones break.

You have no way of knowing if or what extent steroids affected Silva's bones, or if that had anything to do with the injury at all. It is nothing more than complete conjecture.

Even then, that still makes it a fluke from Weidman's side of things.

I thought it was so lame how weidman was celebrating after that win... dude that was a freak accident and doesn't happen in fights that often stop acting like u knew his leg would snap lol Silva just needed to drink more calcium or something fuck Lol

Who cares that it doesn't happen that often?

People don't get caught in twisters often, so when it happens it's a fluke?

On a completely unrelated note one bad side effect of steroids is that while it may strengthen your muscles it also weakens your bone density.

Back