Does a US prosecutor need to speak proper English?

No, depending on their area of practice.

Umm, yeah, even if he barely spoke English (he seems very fluent, even with a heavy accent), he could graduate from about 100 law schools that prey dummies and plunge them into debt.

At my law school, we had an exchange program with University of Beijing. Some came over to get Masters degrees in law for international business, and others came over and competed with us English speakers in the JD program.

Despite having very heavy Chinese accents (and sounding far less fluent than this guy), they did well and got JDs from a top 20 law school.

Lot of coded racism itt, btw. If you're in a place like El Paso where the vast majority of the lower class are primary Spanish speakers and may not even speak English, it's ideal to have a primary Spanish speaker as prosecutor,

People also fail to realize that writting, reading, speaking and listening to a foreign language are not the same thing.

Im quite fluent at reading in english, which i do at the same speed as i read spanish, in fact of my reading material around 70-80% is english (forums, wikipedia articles, news, literature etc, etc).

When it comes to writing, i think its around 80% of proficiency.

When it comes to listening its around 80% too, i can easily make do of clear speak, but struggle with thick regional accents and during cacophonies.

When it comes to speaking though? ill say 40-30%, i cant speak english.

When it comes to speaking though? ill say 40-30%, i cant speak english.

That's extremely surprising.

I mean, I can read Spanish much better than I can understand it through spoken word or speak it, but my writing is very remedial anyways. Your writing is extremely proficient to the point of having picked up conversational and prescriptive grammar and doesn't seem any different than a native speaker. I would have presumed you were completely fluent in speech.

That's extremely surprising.

I mean, I can read Spanish much better than I can understand it through spoken word or speak it, but my writing is very remedial anyways. Your writing is extremely proficient to the point of having picked up conversational and prescriptive grammar and doesn't seem any different than a native speaker. I would have presumed you were completely fluent in speech.

Thats because i learned english mainly through books, videogames and the internet.

So i rarely if ever use conversational english (since i dont travel much either), writing is different because writting has no accent, i basically write english with a spanish pronunciation in my mind.

I also tend to proof read my posts to see if something doesnt makes much sense. If you get to pick a forum conversations where i got emotional and started replying without proofreading you will find that sometimes i start to directly translate between spanish and english.

And when i have to speak, i need to actually think about the english pronunciation of words.

I usually watch english shows with TV hearing aid for example, because otherwise i miss around 10-20% of what they are saying.

Except when its the news or something with clear english and little cacophony.

Understood him fine. Must be hard for you to hear him under your white hood?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back