Does a US prosecutor need to speak proper English?

Unless someone speaks English in a sophisticated manner with a British accent I cannot understand them.

<DisgustingHHH>

Wasn't bad at all. Soft consonants aren't hard for me to understand.
At least it wasn't some god awful nasal twang.
To be honest though, the only accented English I've ever really struggled with is certain Brit accents.
I find Geordie and Scouse accents pretty much unintelligible.
People say John Bishop is hard to understand, but I think it just adds to his comedy. I used to work with an Irish fella who I found unintelligible, and I've spent lots of time around many immigrants with all types of accents without issues.

Listen to this prosecutors accent, i have a hard time believing how he could have graduated from any law school in the US.

Well, I'm sure he wasn't talking much when he was going through Law School. Plus, remember that English is not the official language of the U.S. Something that Congress is working to change.

People say John Bishop is hard to understand, but I think it just adds to his comedy. I used to work with an Irish fella who I found unintelligible, and I've spent lots of time around many immigrants with all types of accents without issues.

I had no idea who that was, but I googled him and found him easy to understand.
I'm not even 100% sure I've accurately labelled the accents, but there's been a couple of times with English tourists (definitely not Scottish or Welsh) where I just couldn't understand what they were saying. The funniest was with a group of lads in their early 20s (admittedly all a bit pissed, which probably didn't help), where I actually had to get the others to translate for me what one of them was saying.

Do people realize that the US does not have a national language?
Or do they just assume out of ignorance?

No, depending on their area of practice.

listen to this prosecutors accent, i have a hard time believing how he could have graduated from any law school in the US.

Umm, yeah, even if he barely spoke English (he seems very fluent, even with a heavy accent), he could graduate from about 100 law schools that prey dummies and plunge them into debt.

At my law school, we had an exchange program with University of Beijing. Some came over to get Masters degrees in law for international business, and others came over and competed with us English speakers in the JD program.

Despite having very heavy Chinese accents (and sounding far less fluent than this guy), they did well and got JDs from a top 20 law school.

Lot of coded racism itt, btw. If you're in a place like El Paso where the vast majority of the lower class are primary Spanish speakers and may not even speak English, it's ideal to have a primary Spanish speaker as prosecutor,

listen to this prosecutors accent, i have a hard time believing how he could have graduated from any law school in the US.

I understood most of what he said. There were quite a few points where I had no fucking idea what he said, though.
I can see someone who was never around or minimally exposed to someone with a thick accent not understanding what he's saying.

I understood nearly all what he said; there were a few words that I didn't get. He does have a thick accent and his enunciations does make it hard to discern the diction at times.

Fluent is fine.

If he had a Mississippi accent or a Cajun accent or a Scottish accent?

Not speaking good English is what law schools look for.
Grades meh.

Are you trans
Are you from a foreign country
We're you raised by a single parent

This is what determines college acceptance in liberal politically correct 2017

Like others said, think accent but can understand him.

I've had professors who were much more difficult to understand. You can develop the knack for understanding non-native English speakers if you can't already. It just takes a bit of patience and the willingness to realize that people like the prosecutor in this video are already doing their part to try and communicate with you.

I had an Arabic instructor who was quick to point out to my class that our other instructors didn't use their accents when forming their thoughts. He also made sure to explain the difference between being fluent and being native. A lot of our instructors actually had better English than we did; they just didn't sound like it right away.

Having an accent isn't the same as not speaking proper English.

Love how so many on here "understood" this guy "perfectly well". The liberal media has trained you guys up nicely!

If you travel around quite frequently and talk to many people of all walks of life you end up understanding the most thick accents and broken English in any situation.

1.If the president doesn't have to speak proper english why should anyone else.

2. He spoke proper english, he just has a heavy accent. I heard people from the NE speak with heavier accents(CAH instead of CAR).
Your accent doesnt mean weather or not you can handle speaking english properly.
I've witnessed Chinese in Mexico who speak Spanish better than Mexicans. Explain this.

I'm not saying everyone has to speak with a British accent, but this guy needs to SERIOUSLY work on controlling his accent. No one immediately understands what he's trying to say, no matter how PC they want to make themselves out to be.

The judge has probably dealt with this guy before, so she may be accustomed to it.

People say John Bishop is hard to understand, but I think it just adds to his comedy. I used to work with an Irish fella who I found unintelligible.

If you can understand one you ought to understand the other , Scousers are just unambitious Irish immigrants after all......

Back