Does a Tournament Actual Prove Who's Best?

TewPoint0

DHEA Abuser
@Brown
Reaction score
Wouldn't every fighter have to fight one another to figure out who's truly the alpha? There's a reason they say, "styles make fights." The tournament is fun, but it doesn't truly answer the question, because not every fighter faces each other. Plus, timing is another issue. A guy could get eliminated early then improve over a year and might be better than the tournament winner but unable to prove it.
Hopefully I made a little sense. Anyway, I don't think there's any way to prove who's best. That just makes every fight interesting though! Enjoy the skills rather than rankings. Thoughts?

Tournaments are entertaining, but fundamentally flawed.

See:Steve Jennum

It proves who's the best that night if it's a one night tourney

No, but that's entertaining enough that should happen times in times again.

more often than not, the best fighter wins the tournament.

Te best tournament format to find the best single competitor in anything is a multi-round, round robin format. In fighting, this would be impossible, as it could take years to finish.

That’s why I liked the Showtime Super Six tournament some years ago. You had probably the top SMW Andre Ward, Carl Froch, Mikkel Kessler, Abraham, Taylor, Direll..and it was set up so basically everybody had to fight eachother.

It was a cool concept atleast. I think only Ward, Froch, and Abraham did the whole tournament though. Ward won of course

To prove who the best is, the only real way to kind of take luck and other random factors away is to do a league system like baseball, basketball etc.

One night tourneys prove who is the better performing fighter on that night.

No not really, the champion system is supposed to determine that and usually does. Tournaments are for the fans and they're fun but I'd say about half the time the best person doesn't win.

That’s why I liked the Showtime Super Six tournament some years ago. You had probably the top SMW Andre Ward, Carl Froch, Mikkel Kessler, Abraham, Taylor, Direll..and it was set up so basically everybody had to fight eachother.

It was a cool concept atleast. I think only Ward, Froch, and Abraham did the whole tournament though. Ward won of course

I loved that tournament. They still do Super six tournaments, but I don’t think on Showtime anymore. I’m not sure if they’re televised at all which is a shame because it was awesome.

Not necessarily. They should also run a losers bracket to see how the others fair. At anyrate the GPs are fun

It should be each year or two grand prix.
Invite fighters who accomplished enough to call them atleast elite fighters. Make interesting match-ups,change rules to more dynamic (less time given for grappling transitions/submission attempts/etc).

Back