Do you watch cable TV?

Medulla Omoplata

Mayberry Comptroller
@Silver
Reaction score
I have never had a cable subscription of my own. When I was younger I would spend my time playing sports with my friends, or fishing/hiking, in the gym etc... If I wanted some chilling time in the evening I would play video games or fuck around on the internet. I had no interest in sitting and being entertained, I wanted engagement.

Now that I'm older and married I do have a netflix subscription, because it gives my wife and I a reason to shut down and just hang out together on the couch for an hour in the evening, and I do find I enjoy watching a show or two with her.

But I still don't have cable TV and I have no interest in it, most of the programming looks like mindless garbage. When I put this question to my friends who do have cable most of them state the only reason they have cable is for watching sports. I don't watch sports much outside of MMA, if I did then maybe my opinion would change.

Yes. Background noise. HBO is currently showing Tomorrowland while I surf on my phone, my wife on the pc, my son playing on the laptop and my daughter beside me watching youtube vids on her phone.

Well, you grew up with the internet and awesome video game systems, so it's not that crazy that you don't watch cable. I grew up in the 70's and 80's, so when we got cable it blew my mind. You have no idea how much better having cable tv with movie channels was as opposed to a few channels on your regular tv. So, yeah, i still watch cable. I agree there's some mindless, corny shit on, but there's some good things too. Plus, i'm just used to flipping through the channels. It helps me unwind and it's just a habit/routine after all these years.

Well, you grew up with the internet and awesome video game systems, so it's not that crazy that you don't watch cable. I grew up in the 70's and 80's, so when we got cable it blew my mind. You have no idea how much better having cable tv with movie channels was as opposed to a few channels on your regular tv. So, yeah, i still watch cable. I agree there's some mindless, corny shit on, but there's some good things too. Plus, i'm just used to flipping through the channels. It helps me unwind and it's just a habit/routine after all these years.

Yeah, amazing what a decade can do. I grew up in the 80s and 90s. Cable was important, but not a novelty. I remember getting high-speed internet in middle school, it was mind-blowing, all I wanted to do was play video games and look at boobs.

Nope. Cut the cord almost 10 years ago. Never missed it.
I do have a Netflix account that I never watch. Should probably cut that and put the $9.99 a month towards booze or ice cream or something.

Well, you grew up with the internet and awesome video game systems, so it's not that crazy that you don't watch cable. I grew up in the 70's and 80's
Atari and Nintendo were awesome video game systems. Sure they look primitive now, but I'm still amazed at how clever those guys had to be to do what they did with such limited technology.

My cable company(Sudden Link) has me a bundle for internet and cable, one day they decided they were going to start charging me extra for going over a certain amount of gigabytes of data on my internet, I started getting $140-$170 bills from them for going over. Then they dropped a whole slew of my favorite channels, Spike and Comedy Central, Nickelodeon for the kids all gone, they replaced them with the Glenn Beck Channel and bullshit like that but kept the price the same. So I cut the chord and told them to stick it up their ass. They sent me a bill for like $560 for equipment and all these bullshit charges after I cancelled. Some fucking balls these people have.

So I cut it out, got unlimited internet from somebody else for around $50-$60 a month. I bought a high end 4K HDTV antenna and was shocked at how many channels you can pick up with it and blown away by the picture quality, just as good if not better than cable. Plus I'm picking up local Fox and CBS channels that I wasn't getting through cable, so on Sundays I'm getting extra NFL games that I wouldn't normally get with cable. This past Sunday I had the option between 4 different games to watch all at the same time, including my Texans, If I still had cable I would not have gotten the Texans game.

So fuck cable, I'll never pay for that shit again. Amazon Prime+HBO subscription(HBO GO), Youtube, streaming sites to pick up any cable show I don't have access to. I had Netflix but after they took X-Files off and raised the price I cancelled.

I have cable and mostly watch channels in the Discovery Network, Smithsonian Channel and sports like football and auto racing. The "local" networks channels don't come in well without a 40 ft tower and a rotor to point at the locations of the various towers. My internet is through the cable provider. I have Amazon Prime and watch some video content there. I never got into video games.

I cut the cable 7 or 8 years ago. I got sick of flipping through 400 channels and having nothing I wanted to watch.

Most TV programming is garbage- and the fucking commercials drive me nuts.
I can't remember the last thrilling movie I watched, and I used to love movies.
The only thing I miss is sports.

100s of useless channels but I always have FX, AMC and the premium channels(HBO, Starz, SHO) on favorites

if you're still paying for cable in 2017....

Cut the chord like 5 years ago. bought a roku one time cost. 100 bucks.
got netflix and sling tv for like 30 bucks a month. sling tv has your fav. channels.
saving a ton.

Yes. Background noise. HBO is currently showing Tomorrowland while I surf on my phone, my wife on the pc, my son playing on the laptop and my daughter beside me watching youtube vids on her phone.
Ahhh, nothing better than that quality family time.

Firestick with Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, kodi

Cable tv can eat my ass.

if you're still paying for cable in 2017....

Cut the chord like 5 years ago. bought a roku one time cost. 100 bucks.
got netflix and sling tv for like 30 bucks a month. sling tv has your fav. channels.
saving a ton.

One better than that. Got Netflix passwords for free, amazon firetv for 100, basically the same as your Roku. Can watch whatever I want for $0.00

Back