Do you think we'll start seeing transwomen in MMA?

HOw will they pass an USADA test when they are injecting themselves with exogenous hormones every day ?

Indeed. I'm no expert, but I am not even sure if hormone use is a requirement for being your identified gender... Though most use it. In fact, the idea of being "passable" or needing a level of femininity is considered transphobic (not saying I agree or disagree).

looking forward to hearing all of the medical experts posting to this thread - so far so good.

Indeed. I'm no expert, but I am not even sure if hormone use is a requirement for being your identified gender... Though most use it. In fact, the idea of being "passable" or needing a level of femininity is considered transphobic (not saying I agree or disagree).
vF7rVgt.gif

The facts are out there for people who want them, but I think people make their stand on this issue based on their feelings about transgendered people. Its the hormone levels that give the advantages - not the sexual organs. Transwomen will lose the speed, strength etc advantages with a year of hormone therapy - their bone density decreases, muscle mass decreases, etc.

The information is out there if people are interested. Its the idea of transgender that I think is the issue, and people who have issue with that will have an issue with it regardless of sports participation (and you are entitled to have a problem with that - I'm not saying you shouldn't or are wrong to) .

The facts are out there for people who want them, but I think people make their stand on this issue based on their feelings about transgendered people. Its the hormone levels that give the advantages - not the sexual organs. Transwomen will lose the speed, strength etc advantages with a year of hormone therapy - their bone density decreases, muscle mass decreases, etc.

The information is out there if people are interested. Its the idea of transgender that I think is the issue, and people who have issue with that will have an issue with it regardless of sports participation (and you are entitled to have a problem with that - I'm not saying you shouldn't or are wrong to) .

Aren't there some physical attributes that hormones can't change, like skeletal structure for example?

It would have to be an all-trans division to be fair.

Back