Do you think UFC pay is stopping top athletes to become MMA fighters?

On the other side which of the richest mma fighters fight regulary? As soon as they got enough money or get it elsewhere, they leave MMA

GSP first retired at 32
Khabib at 31/32
Jones retired a few times
Conor fights rarely
Ronda at 29, after only fighting 11 soccer moms and 3 kinda real fighters
PVZ 26 ish

Half the wmma tries onlyfans

Plenty of them do enter MMA. There's many D1 wrestlers on the regionals right now. I agree fighters should be paid more but I think this world you have in your head of all D1 wrestlers converting to MMA rather than using their degrees to get regular joba after college is fantasy.

If you don't understand that the pay/reward is directly correlated with the size of participant pool, you are too dumb to have a meaningful conversation with about this.

It is completely uncontroversial, common sense, and easily demonstrated in reality.

If you don't understand that the pay/reward is directly correlated with the size of participant pool, you are too dumb to have a meaningful conversation with about this.

It is completely uncontroversial, common sense, and easily demonstrated in reality.

I do understand that but I also don't think that the flood of wrestlers you seem to think would come would come.

It certainly has to be a factor.

I think it plays a part but I'm skeptical that it's a super big deal.

I think it's more along the lines of if you are athletic enough to play a different sport for a living why on earth do you wanna get cte and beat up?

People that really wanna fight for fun or fight for a living will do that, everyone else ....not so much.

It plays a big part, yes, but I think the biggest obstacle is that it's combat sports and relatively few athletically gifted people will want to risk getting CTE for something as silly as cage fighting. I'd say same goes with boxing - boxing does have several very talented athletes, but generally I'd say they are almost as behind as MMA when compared to sports like soccer.

So money plays a part for sure, especially for fighters going to boxing instead of MMA, but I think the biggest part is simply that not too many athletes are into combat sports.

Right, they get drafted onto a team for a full time job, and if they come up short and don't get drafted onto a team, they play in some minor league for not much money for a few years then have to give up and be a gym teacher.

Wrong, even in B leagues they still make more money.

Wrong, even in B leagues they still make more money.
<LikeReally5>

For rookies, the salary will rise from $4,800 to $19,800. At Low Class A, salaries will grow from $11,000 to $26,200 while High Class A will grow from $13,800 to $27,300. Triple-A players will go from $17,500 to $35,800.

<LikeReally5>

For rookies, the salary will rise from $4,800 to $19,800. At Low Class A, salaries will grow from $11,000 to $26,200 while High Class A will grow from $13,800 to $27,300. Triple-A players will go from $17,500 to $35,800.

https://sportsbrief.com/nba/32957-h...s-average-salary-hoppers-europe-asian-africa/ : On average, players from abroad can earn between $1 and $4 million a year. Remember that these figures only apply when playing in a top professional basketball division.

{<jordan}

I think it plays a part but I'm skeptical that it's a super big deal.

I think it's more along the lines of if you are athletic enough to play a different sport for a living why on earth do you wanna get cte and beat up?

People that really wanna fight for fun or fight for a living will do that, everyone else ....not so much.
Yeah mma is just never going to draw athletes away from major sports. But I think it's worth discussing if the known damage and low pay keeps away people leaving grappling careers, washing out of the major leagues etc.

I'm not sure how much of a factor it is, but I know guys like Cole Konrad have just left because they felt like the money wasn't there versus the risk of damage.

<LikeReally5>

That's dogshit compared to B league soccer wages.

That's dogshit compared to B league soccer wages.
Like 300 million people play soccer, so that comes out to less than 0.005% of them who are pro players. Not exactly great odds of being one of them.

Like 300 million people play soccer, so that comes out to less than 0.005% of them who are pro players. Not exactly great odds of being one of them.

Yeah there's supposed to be 130k pro soccer players in the world (probably includes semi pro) so not great odds.

Back