Do you think that welfare recipients should be drug tested?

Should welfare recipients get tested for drugs?

• Yes

• No

• PItbull the rapper

Results are only viewable after voting.
That's taking it too far. License plate color is the limit

And we should harvest one kidney per recipient and sell it to a rich, old white man to help offset the cost of welfare

And we should harvest one kidney per recipient and sell it to a rich, old white man to help offset the cost of welfare
You literally sound like a welfare recipient right now. Grow up benny

Where is this "too expensive" argument coming from?
A ten pack of urine test strips is under $20

Multiply that "under $20" by 68 million. So you want to spend over a billion dollars to bust 2-4% of people tested?

Sounds like a sound fiscal plan, if you're an executive or shareholder for a drug testing company.
Certainly not for the American taxpayer.

it's very impractical and expensive. if welfare recipients are tested, so should every government employee and politician.

That's taking it too far. License plate color is the limit
Hold on a second......what about making them wear something like a welfare recipient t-shirt. Just to shame them a little bit.

it's very impractical and expensive. if welfare recipients are tested, so should every government employee and politician.

Not to mention anyone recieving subsidies or tax-breaks or employees thereof.

So pretty much everyone involved in banking, agriculture, oil & gas, government, and the automobile industry. Now we're getting somewhere.

Nah bud I'm super comfortable, I'll just call out a stupid idea when I see one.
Rico is literally
giphy.gif

Right now

It seems that many don't know anything about how welfare works. They don't just hand out cash. I've seen people using a card at my local grocery store having items set aside that don't qualify. I've seen on the local news that they have to apply for employment at a minimum of 4 places each week. That has led to employers being overwhelmed with requests for job applications and welfare agents checking to see if someone has applied. Many employers now only hire through local employment agencies greatly limiting the number of places people can apply.

Corporate welfare is where the government throws money at companies on the premise of creating good jobs. The companies are supposed to add a certain number of jobs at a certain average wage. The companies often add one highly paid position to a family member who doesn't do anything and fill the rest with minimum wage jobs. Those responsible for oversight have recommended that instead of an average wage, the language should require that all added jobs be at or above a set wage.

No.

Most people who receive government assistance are already working and can't make ends meet.

This welfare queen image that the republicans have painted since Reagan are the small minority not the majority who receive government assistance

I don't care if they're doing drugs, and I don't think the safety net should depend on the chemical content of your urine. I think the argument for getting rid of government welfare altogether is stronger than the argument for making payment contingent on arbitrary moral requirements.

No. It sounds good in principle. But we need to keep in mind what welfare is there to do. It is there to help those who can't make ends meet for an indefinite length of time, and to provide and economic stabilizer by providing a means for autonomous consumption no matter what the rest of the economy looks like, meaning money that is going to be spent no matter how low equilibrium income sinks at a given time.

Now, does that mean there are not people just taking advantage of that and using it so they don't have to work? Of course not. People will do that. But drug testing is not going to catch only those people. It will also catch the people who have fallen on hard times and have a drug problem. Maybe the drug problem caused their issues, maybe not. But making them even poorer isn't going to fix it. And it's not like it takes a significant portion of the budget. It's 2.51% of GDP. It's not minuscule. But it isn't the drag on our economy certain politicians make it out to be. They do need to police it much better though and give more of an effort working with the people on it to make sure they aren't just cheating the system. I see it as a necessary evil.

Also also, I am not against weed in any way. It should be legalized nationally imo. Any other drugs though they should test for.

That's going to make welfare so much better. Make weed legal so these lazy bums can legally smoke all day and not work.

Back