Do you think Sagetdao is washed up?

Ah fuck off buddy. Somehow I got confused and thought you were a decent poster at one point and not some lame ass troll. I've already sonned you in this thread, moving on...
Sorry for disappointing you by not sharing of your bias towards MT, not everyone who likes facepunching has to, by default, worship Thais.

Not sure how stating a fact (that high lv MT competitors haven't been successful in MMA like guys from other disciplines, they failed trying, although thus far their attempts have been very limited) can be considered trolling. The reason why we all can discuss, or not, but denying that or trying to justify with lames excuses it's just going against reality, i'm keeping it real here.

people were around here for a while showing you solid points why "MT isnt successful in MMA"

summing up: All of these thais are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay past their prime when they tried MMA, and pretty much none of them had even some decent experience of 1-2 years of wrestling background( on a decent gym) to be able to make a transition.

List of Current-Former UFC fighters by weight class that had wannabe MT background and training on Farang gyms or gyms with low lvl recognizement on Thai Circuit and were able to succeed in MMA(until FW):

HW

Randy Couture: was trained on the late years of his career by some classic "i went to thailand and became a champion" coach name Quenting Chong or something like this.

Bas Rutten: had western MT background by Hemmers(Hemmers, the one who also trained Dekkers)

Cain Velazquez ( Along with Cormier) trained MT by some foreigner that is( or was) the head trainer of MT at the gym.

Junior Dos Santos: Trained a while on Phuket top Team for his fights

Werdum: "black belt" on MT by conman Rafael Cordeiro, Also trained with Cro Crop for some years back in the day, Cro Cop was developed in Vos gym(Same of Hoost), some trainers were western MT fighters like Ivan Hypollite(of of the Main trainers for Cro Cop)

Cormier: Same as Velazquez.
--------------------------------------------
LHW
Vitor Belfort: trained western MT with a lot of "masters" from Brazil but also received some training by Cosmo Alexandre.

Rashad Evans: Was trained by Melchor Menor on his Peak(western MT fighter that was trained in thailand and fought on MT in KB, Notable fight against Masato), Evans also trained with cosmo alexandre for some time on the last years of his career.

Shogun: trained by the "master" Rafael Cordeiro on MT, Shogun is known as one of the best "MT masters" of MMA.

Cormier as Said on the HW section

Jones: Trained by "Kru" phil nurse, Also invited Cosmo Alexandre to be his trainer in 2012 but he refused(was on Blackzillians training Evans and other guys)

---------------------------------------------

MW

Rich Franklin: trained mt by his MT "Kru" Neil Rowe

Anderson Silva: Muay Thai "god" of MMA trained by Pedro Rizzo(background in Western MT and kickboxing)

Luke Rockhold: had a lot of training Camps on AKA thailand and trained with some legit former Thai fighters that became trainers in there, before and after he became champion.

------------------------------------------------

WW

GSP: Trained for years(that he became champion) with the "Kru" Phil Nurse. The late years he went to do some training and preparing camps on Tiger MT with Yod Wilek and amsongkram Chuwattana.

-------------------------------

LW

Frankie Edgar: Another trained by Phil Nurse

RDA: trained by the "master" Rafael Cordeiro and late in his career on Evolve by multiple MT known names.

--------------------------------------

FW

Jose Aldo: Trained Mt with "masters" from Ruas academy and Nova união

Max Holloway: Trained MT with his coach Ivan Flores( some western MT dude that trained in Kaewsamrit Gym)

----------------------

the list goes on for BW, already wrote a lot.

Sorry for disappointing you by not sharing of your bias towards MT, not everyone who likes facepunching has to, by default, worship Thais.

Not sure how stating a fact (that high lv MT competitors haven't been successful in MMA like guys from other disciplines, they failed trying, although thus far their attempts have been very limited) can be considered trolling. The reason why we all can discuss, or not, but denying that or trying to justify with lames excuses it's just going against reality, i'm keeping it real here.
Excuse me. My opinions aren't swayed by a bias. Nobody denied that the 3 (?) high level Thais that lukewarm attempted MMA didn't make a career of it, outside of Rambaa who became #1 in his division. The problem is you are attributing this to an inherent flaw in the style, which is false and its efficacy has been proven by mmaist utilizing the techniques even at a less proficient level.

The problem is you are attributing this to an inherent flaw in the style, which is false and its efficacy has been proven by mmaist utilizing the techniques even at a less proficient level.
Hey, that part i never stated that it's a fact, it's just my personal opinion, and i'm not exactly sure how that can piss you off so much, or any others members of this forum. What is this? No one can say anything negative towards the holy style of MT and Thais here? It's a sacrilege that i didn't know of?
I think every style has it flaws and low points, under a MMA ruleset i think MT isn't the best background you can have, you can disagree all you want and you don't have to answer if you feel irked about it, but it's my opinion, and while this thread was more of a jab at Coca, i'm not trolling.
And yes, you're right, MT it's something very effective to train for MMA fighters, it helps a lot of them to grow as fighters as @Mafanofe posted above, i also acknowledged that here:
There's a few things like all the clinch fighting and elbow techniques that are very useful, that's something to absorb from MT, but IMO MT as a overall style it's not a good one, needs many adaptations to work in MMA.
Very often fights ends on the clinch with fighters repeatedly exchanging underhooks, and adding techniques from MT can be a great advantage there, many MMA fighters look lost on the clinch.
But, as your martial art background? Your first discipline? Not a good choice, FOR MMA. Again, my opinion, not painting it as a fact by any means. All subjective.
If you were fighting on the high lv scene in Thailand then, i already have a suspicious eye on how far you will go when following a fighter's transition, due to the previous failed attempts.

It's mixed martial arts.... If you cannot adapt other skillsets to your base. You will lose just like Butterbean, James Toney, Heather Hardy and Mayorga. You can also find pure bjj guys and pure wrestlers who couldn't make the leap without adopting other skillsets. Go find a major MMA school that doesn't teach Muay Thai in their gym. I bet it is way harder to find ones that don't.

The whole gripe about stance is silly. Even Muay Thai fighters use variation on stances depending what type of fighter they are and what they are doing at the moment. Conventional 50/50 Muay thai stance is the same thing as kickboxing stance unless you are talking about long pants moon shoes narrow/long stance which nobody uses except wonderboy and even he squares up his stance when he wants to throw a cross or circle.

Back