Do you think Ngannou could have actually won with the right game plan?

what's the right game plan for a head hunter? I guess you could do like Chuck: brawl and sprawl. But your sprawling gotta be good.

If he was more patient he could have possibly gotten the KO. He should have tried to get Stipe's timing down and tried to land the perfect bomb while still fresh. Instead he haphazardly spammed power strikes and missed on most of them. He gassed himself that way and was then fodder for Stipe's grappling game. Ngannou only needs one strike with his power. He should have chosen what he threw more carefully and conserved energy for later rounds.

I think that's just the kind of fighter Francis is going to be, and to be honest that's fine. He will still win a lot of fights.

I don't think any game plan would have increased his chances but if you reproduce the fight 100 times Ngannou would win a few of them simply from probability.

The takedowns and carrying Stipe's weight drained all of his energy. If he could learn to defend the takedowns better or at least use better technique to get back up, he could have possibly won.

Stipe is a very balanced fighter though. If Ngannou was focused on defending the takedown, he would have likely gotten lit up standing.

I think Ngannou needs to slim down to around 250 and work on his grappling.

He should have been relaxed and looking to counter Stipe as he was striking, not head hunting like a pissed up hillbilly at a barn dance

No, Stipe was piecing Ngannou up even when he was fresh.

No, Stipe was piecing Ngannou up even when he was fresh.

They were tied for distance and clinch strikes in the first with Ngannou having thrown 1 more strike than Miocic. Ngannou also clearly hit harder.

He busted his load too quickly, he has to pace himself. Find his rhythm. He would have definitely made it more competitive and he wouldn't been taken down so easily in the later rounds.

Gameplan was good. Trying to KO Stipe. Thats his only strength and what he (intelligently) went for.
And he could have KOed Stipe. Just like how he caught Reem. Its almost up to chance.

They were tied for distance and clinch strikes in the first with Ngannou having thrown 1 more strike than Miocic. Ngannou also clearly hit harder.
I had Stipe winning the standing in the first round. Stipe was clearly figuring him out as well. It was only a matter of time regardless of Ngannou's gameplan.

He would've lasted longer with more chances to outbox and catch Stipe, instead of swinging wild like he did, but no grappling skills still

I had Stipe winning the standing in the first round. Stipe was clearly figuring him out as well. It was only a matter of time regardless of Ngannou's gameplan.

Yeah Stipe was clearly figuring him out, that's why he did everything in his power to take the fight to the ground. And again, Ngannou clearly landed the harder shots.

He wouldn’t be able to get up every time stipe took him down.

That shit is tiring work

I dunno if he could have won, but he could have given himself a far better chance with a little patience.

Coming out and swinging wild punches like that thinking that a KO is just gonna happen is the thought process of a man who has swallowed his own bullshit.

I do not think any could have helped he was way behind on the grappling aspect. His strength and power is good enough to hold off in 1st round but unless that can last and he improves the TDD more and grappling it wont work.

I disagree with guys who say that elite TDD cannot be learned in 5 or 7 years i think it can especially 7. GSP did it and he has freakish athletic ability so much of it is athletic ability which ngannou has. I think his issue is he has not been training it as much as he should and after 1 round he gasses.

The only people who can come over 260lbs and jacked are guys like Brock and Ubereeem. Ubereem easily stopped everyone TD and would not gas till end of 2nd round since he did not explode unncessarily. And Brock had gas for at least 2 rounds as well to and nobody except Cain could take him down.

The game plan was to KO Stipe inside of 5 minutes.

If he had done that, then yes, he would have won.

Back