Do you think Ngannou could have actually won with the right game plan?

haplo

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
What game plan would have allowed Ngannou to win vs Stipe?
I think if Francis didn't chase him to get an early KO, he could have paced himself for the whole 5 rounds. Then he would have had enough energy to get back up every time Stipe was on top of him. He could have waited for a good opportunity to counter...instead of being held down for 4 rounds.

Coming into the fight at over 260 lbs was stupid first of all.

Ngannou's strength is blitzing and KOing. Any gameplan that doesn't include that will likely fail.

Ngannou's problem is he's too big, too slow, and gasses too fast.

He needed to be more patient in there. If he'd pulled out of the fight and waited 3 or 4 years for Stipe to take more damage and slow down he could've pulled it off.

No, his cardio and grappling is shit. If he fixes those 2 things he will be the he champ

It takes experience/skill to stick to a gameplan. Ngannou isn't nearly technical enough yet to know how to adapt well, and Stipe made that blatantly clear.

Ngannou needs to learn how to use his reach. He can pressure people much more effectively that way as opposed to chasing them with big punches.

The guy is a slugger. I've been saying this for awhile now, but he should study up on the king of all sluggers, George Foreman. George never had pretty punching technique. Ngannou likely won't either. What George had was savvy and intelligence in where his strength was (size, length, power). Pressure with jabs and long punches, get them to a place where they can't move well, and then let the power drop. Ngannou needs to learn to do the same.

That, and some intense focus on wrestling techniques.

he punched himself out with missing too much
should be a little bit more patient next time

He needs to spend the next couple of years working on his wrestling and cardio.

He has huge power and can knock almost anyone out, but lacks the fundamentals necessary to beat Stipe at this stage.

If he would have saved his energy and been patient for clean shots to open up instead if dumping it all in the first minute, he might have been able to put Stipe out with some luck.

I dont think so; his skillset is pretty limited and his cardio is horrible.

Watching Stipe, I always got the feeling he can loose... almost every fight... but he’s tuff...

You can't gameplan a fight when you haven't got enough cardio to get through the first few minutes.. The only thing you can do is hope for the ko

It wasn't Ngannou's cardio that lost him the fight. He went too hard in the first round, used a lot of energy then got taken down and gassed out. I think adrenaline played a part too. I don't believe his cardio is a problem, he just needs to pace himself better and needs to work on takedown defense

no. he was outgunned. fought a better striker, and a better grappler, with better cardio. francis is to far behind stipe to get a win no matter the gameplan. he needs more skills

What game plan would have allowed Ngannou to win vs Stipe?
I think if Francis didn't chase him to get an early KO, he could have paced himself for the whole 5 rounds. Then he would have had enough energy to get back up every time Stipe was on top of him. He could have waited for a good opportunity to counter...instead of being held down for 4 rounds.

AND....AND....Yair and Platbum and Edson should all be UFC champs!

No, his cardio and grappling is shit. If he fixes those 2 things he will be the he champ

This is pretty much right. Conditioning + takedown defense/positional awareness would have been his path to victory.

Dude spent too many weeks eating baguettes and stinky cheese and not enough time sprawling and doing burpees.

Back