Do you think knees to the head of a downed opponent will EVER be legal again?

0717-cyborg-instagram-3.jpg
literally caved in his skull. Literally.

It can be countered are you kidding me? Your throw a knee and miss, you'e off balance and the guy on his knees can take you down. How long have you been watching mma? Because I've been a fan for a long time. I've seen those rules in place, it really isn't anymore barbaric or not. Even when soccer kicks were allowed in pride shogun and wand would throw them but not always land and be completely off balance. When you miss you pay for it. When it lands, yes it's very damaging to an opponent.
Eh I feel like missing a knee in that position would be really rare.

I also was thinking of this when I thought about knees to a grounded opponent and them being impossible to counter.

2cmn8cn.jpg

Eh I feel like missing a knee in that position would be really rare.

I also was thinking of this when I thought about knees to a grounded opponent and them being impossible to counter.

2cmn8cn.jpg
You can disallow them in North South to make them safer. But what I propose is that this opponent is flat on his back and thereore truly downed and shouldn't be kneed in this position.

Right? You can still launch an offense and defense in the kneeling position in MMA. And if they don't want to eat a knee they'll have to flop to their back and give up position. I think it makes sense. Because as it is right now, it seems the safest place to be in an MMA fight is on your knees right in front of your opponent. He can still punch you but those rarely land. But he can't kick or knee, which those DO land. (If allowed in the rules)
Agreed also if a wrestler shoots on one knee to take you down I don't think its fair to give him immunity from knee's. With the current rule pathetic people like Weidman abuse the rule and try to DQ their opponents.

Only a moron, who most likely does not compete/train, would think that knees to the head should be brought back in to the sport.

I get that mma is a spectacle to most, but fuck, you really should appreciate and consider the health of the fighters already putting it on the line so that you can get all hot and sweaty watching.

Agreed also if a wrestler shoots on one knee to take you down I don't think its fair to give him immunity from knee's. With the current rule pathetic people like Weidman abuse the rule and try to DQ their opponents.
Yeah that's very dishonorable. I think the rules as it is right now, it's too easy to hit someone with an illegal knee. Especially if certain fighters that like throwing more knees and kicks. At least if someone is flat on their back or stomach it erases that grey area completely. .

Only a moron, who most likely does not compete/train, would think that knees to the head should be brought back in to the sport.

I get that mma is a spectacle to most, but fuck, you really should appreciate and consider the health of the fighters already putting it on the line so that you can get all hot and sweaty watching.
Most fighters want the knees BACK. Dom Cruz openly said it a while back. If the majority of fighters were against it. I'd be against it. They are not. They are pro knees to the head on the ground.

The sport is damaging and violent. What Yoel did to Rockhold was brutal.

Yeah, now imagine if he followed up the KO with a knee to the head instead of a punch.

I think there's wiggle room to define "downed" but no way are they going to allow knees to a guy who is on his back, stomach, both knees, etc. That would allow them too much potential to fuck a guy up who has already been dropped. Vulnerable positions should have some protections.

Besides, it's a sport. Sports have rules. This is one of them. Train accordingly. As much as a bunch of inbreds want to believe, this isn't "NO RULES BARRED CAGE FIGHTING COMBAT EXTREME BLOODSPORT." Rules are rules and every fighter is subject to the same rules.

Most fighters want the knees BACK. Dom Cruz openly said it a while back. If the majority of fighters were against it. I'd be against it. They are not. They are pro knees to the head on the ground.

Reading a few fighters say they want it back is not "most" fighters. Hyperbole doesn't help.

Nice argument, retard
A flying knee is more dangerous than a knee to a guy on the ground.
What? A flying attack on a moving/conscious opponent is more dangerous than holding someone down and directly kneeing the already downed opponent in the head? You must be kidding <Lmaoo>

I’m not suggesting that flying knees aren’t and can’t be devastating but you’re not taking into account the context or fixed position that the downed opponent would be in upon receiving the knee.

Tbh I really doubt that is the case, and really haven’t come across anyone wanting it to be back. However, if you can provide some sort of statistical evidence, opposed to Dominick Cruz’ opinion, then perhaps I’d take your point.

Yeah, now imagine if he followed up the KO with a knee to the head instead of a punch.

I think there's wiggle room to define "downed" but no way are they going to allow knees to a guy who is on his back, stomach, both knees, etc.
It would be epic??? But luke was on his back at that point. So my proposal to redefine a downed fighter wouldn't apply there. I think if a hip, buttock or shoulder blade is touching the floor you're downed or flat on your stomach, if you're on a knee or two knees I don't consider that downed in mma. That's a transition position. Can still be defensive or offensive.

Tbh I really doubt that is the case, and really haven’t come across anyone wanting it to be back. However, if you can provide with some sort of statistical evidence, opposed to Dominick Cruz’ opinion, then perhaps I’d take your point.
I'll try to get someones attention like an Ariel helawani who interviews fighters all the time to maybe poll them?? And see on average what fighters want them and what fighters don't. If it's like 90 percent in favor, then come on, it has to change.

The sport is damaging and violent. What Yoel did to Rockhold was brutal.

That's completely different , Luke was out cold after that punch , where in alot of Pride fights i've seen fighters don't give up while being kneed on the mat ..... look at the state of Sakuraba after Arona was done with him ( Arona was kneeing the shit out of him in the fight ).

sakuarono_02.jpg

sakuraba.gif

Kazushi-Sakuraba-mma-663350_264_320.jpg

There is no way in fresh hell any US athleteic commision would allow knees to the head of a downed opponent regardless if fighters unionized for that to be implimented as part of the rules in a stationed MMA fight in America.

Last edited:
Back