Do you think knees to the head of a downed opponent will EVER be legal again?

ClosetVitorFan

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Let's say in 5 to 10 years?? Fighters form a type of union, they agree on a rule set and put pressure on the athletic commission to make changes?? I think the hand on the ground rule change was being exploited and I think it was Randy couture who helped make it happen. I think they can redefine what a downed opponent is. Because imo a guy on 1 knee or even 2 knees in front of you can still intelligently defend himself AND launch an offensive takedown too. Hell Dan Mirg the ref last night thought exactly that. That if one knee or even 2 knees are down you're not exactly downed in mma. This isn't football. I think if you're flat on your back or flat on your stomach, you're downed.

It might be too damaging and violent.

They should but the ufc caters to wrestlers, a full MMA should include kicks/knees to a grounded opponent and no ground elbows, those do far more damage.

I sure hope so

The sport is damaging and violent. What Yoel did to Rockhold was brutal.

The sport will evolve to be even less violent, as soon as we get MMA veterans start dying and getting brain dead in the relatively early age.

They need to sneak them back into the rules, without making a big fuss about it. The casuals won't even notice, and the hardcores will cream their shorts!

Let's say in 5 to 10 years?? Fighters form a type of union, they agree on a rule set and put pressure on the athletic commission to make changes?? I think the hand on the ground rule change was being exploited and I think it was Randy couture who helped make it happen. I think they can redefine what a downed opponent is. Because imo a guy on 1 knee or even 2 knees in front of you can still intelligently defend himself AND launch an offensive takedown too. Hell Dan Mirg the ref last night thought exactly that. That if one knee or even 2 knees are down you're not exactly downed in mma. This isn't football. I think if you're flat on your back or flat on your stomach, you're downed.

Agreed kneeling should not be considered "downed" but if your stomach, butt or back are touching the ground then you should be "downed".

They should but the ufc caters to wrestlers, a full MMA should include kicks/knees to a grounded opponent and no ground elbows, those do far more damage.
Knees benefit everyone. Strikers and wrestlers alike. Punish a wrestler for a lazy shot. Or a wrestler gets dominant position. Mark Coleman, Mark Kerr, Randleman, those knees were their bread and butter. But if allowed in the confines of what I'm proposing it would benefit strikers more.

In situations like mousasi vs weidman, it should be absolutely legal; steven's attempted knee last night should not though.

What the ufc/mma desperately needs though is guys off their backs being able to kick their opponents in their guard.

IMO no, not while regulated by State ACs.

So other orgs in other places, sure.

I hope not. Too barbaric and it's a technique that isn't really able to be countered.

Agreed kneeling should not be considered "downed" but if your stomach, butt or back are touching the ground then you should be "downed".
Right? You can still launch an offense and defense in the kneeling position in MMA. And if they don't want to eat a knee they'll have to flop to their back and give up position. I think it makes sense. Because as it is right now, it seems the safest place to be in an MMA fight is on your knees right in front of your opponent. He can still punch you but those rarely land. But he can't kick or knee, which those DO land. (If allowed in the rules)

I hope not. Too barbaric and it's a technique that isn't really able to be countered.
It can be countered are you kidding me? Your throw a knee and miss, you'e off balance and the guy on his knees can take you down. How long have you been watching mma? Because I've been a fan for a long time. I've seen those rules in place, it really isn't anymore barbaric or not. Even when soccer kicks were allowed in pride shogun and wand would throw them but not always land and be completely off balance. When you miss you pay for it. When it lands, yes it's very damaging to an opponent.

In situations like mousasi vs weidman, it should be absolutely legal; steven's attempted knee last night should not though.

What the ufc/mma desperately needs though is guys off their backs being able to kick their opponents in their guard.
I disagree. I think it should be legal in the Emmet Stephens position. Lol Dan Mirg even thought they WERE!

Not with the cte lawsuits I think that killed it

Not with the cte lawsuits I think that killed it
Then I don't expect Mma to last much longer in its current state under it's current rules. The refs are there to stop it. The most brutal knee I've ever seen land were not knees to the head on the ground. They were legal knees. A Silva vs Franklin? That dude who caved in guy cyborgs skull?

Back