Do you think khabib's skillset has peaked?

fortheo

Plutonium Belt
@plutonium
Reaction score
Khabib is 30 years old. Do you think he's a finished product at this point, or do you expect some significant growth in his skills in the future? How do you see him continuing to develop from here, if you think he does at all.

Personally, despite physical prime ending, I notice a ton of fighters improving in their 30's, so I do think he'll continue to tighten up his standup game and hopefully get some footwork.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

His ground game is as good as I've ever seen. So I don't see him improving that very much...

Everyone knows he has way more room for growth in the striking department. If he decides to dedicated 2 -3 years on training his stand-up for sure he could improve..

Khabib is 30 years old. Do you think he's a finished product at this point, or do you expect some significant growth in his skills in the future? How do you see him continuing to develop from here, if you think he does at all.

Personally, despite physical prime ending, I notice a ton of fighters improving in their 30's, so I do think he'll continue to tighten up his standup game and hopefully get some footwork.

Once he was only ragdolling people around, now he keeps them and pounds into the canvas.
He jabbed Raging Al.

His ground game is as good as I've ever seen. So I don't see him improving that very much...

Everyone knows he has way more room for growth in the striking department. If he decides to dedicated 2 -3 years on training his stand-up for sure he could improve..

Yeah, but when you think of the fact that he's already been training his striking with Mendez at AKA for 5+ years, it makes you wonder if there is still a lot of progress for him to make there in two years time.

That said, khabib's stand up has improved slowily, but steadily, so I'm sure it will tighten up at least a little.

Once he was only ragdolling people around, now he keeps them and pounds into the canvas.
He jabbed Raging Al.

Yes. I agree lol. that doesn't really answer my question, though.

Finished product. In my perception it's very rare for a fighter at this point in his career (+- 10years of MMA) to significantly improve or alter his style, esp. if they don't change camps/training regimen.

Yeah, but when you think of the fact that he's already been training his striking with Mendez at AKA for 5+ years, it makes you wonder if there is still a lot of progress for him to make there in two years time.
Changing coaches and getting a different view of things could do wonders. I'm not saying he should drop Mendez but if he really wanted to improve his striking, he could bring in other stand up coaches to help him along...

I heard this guy is looking for a job..

20141201032506_20140211063442_1DX_35101.JPG

jk :D

He will always be a takedown, control, GNP fighter.

But of course there can always be improvements. He could add weapons to his arsenal, especially striking.

"Skill set", you do know what the word "set" means right? If his stand up is at the peak of his ability his 0 is in serious danger or as a McGregor fan I really hope it has because its atrocious and you had better believe that McGregor has been looking at that and salivating at the thought of fighting him.

Maybe he should do a 26 week camp with Bang ludwig and see if he can work on his stand up just uncase he wants to mix it up more than just maul

Yeah, and that's not a bad thing. We've seen a of good grapplers suddenly think they're great strikers and lose fights they wouldn't have if they'd stuck to what they're best at. Khabib is probably the best grappler in the UFC, so why would he want to start getting into standup fights just because he's made a few improvements? I also don't think he even wants to fight for too much longer.

Shown different striking in the Al fight so there is still room to grow there and he might be working on it, doesnt need to become a striker, but to improve his standup game to setup takedowns.

Every top guy is doing boxing with well known boxing guys, Khabib could do the same.

Until he evolves his stand up, obviously not.Only 30 so as an already elite, still has a nice window to do so.

Not really, Can ask the same for McGregor age aside. Conors at the top of the game and likely wont fight anyone who he will submit at top level. He wont become a skilled submission artist but he can continue to perfect his own striking craft just as Khabib wont become a feared KO artist at this level in the division 30 or not. Idk how much "peaking" comes into play when you already reached top 5 when everyone you face should be able to do it all well.

IMO dont be like DIEGO SANCHEZ and fix whats not broken. Meaning when he was a rising star he was killing people with his GnP. Then decided to become a striker and then began his down fall. If you dominate in one thing 25 years old or 35 dont change it if it got you to where you are.

Last edited:
He still has plenty to learn. I don't expect him to improve his striking while he's at AKA. What he can do is incorporate submissions into his arsenal. That would make his ground game legit scary.

Depends on what you mean by "skill."

In my experience, guys who stay in a combat discipline (or any sort of sporting discipline, for that matter) as a participant or a coach keep on honing their technique and knowledge ad infinitum until they either stop training and forget some things or get some sort of dementia that makes them forget everything.

But the trade off as the body breaks down starts to catch up with you somewhere around 30, give or take a few years depending on what type of damage you've taken and the everyday consequences of aging.

That said, Khabib probably has a couple of more years of improvement left in him just because of his style and the fact that he hasn't taken a whole lot of damage yet.

I really don't understand why he still has such shit footwork and form in his striking. Those things are purely training. Werdum, despite still looking awkward as hell, was able to tighten those up in the second half of his career (lol at the Stipe fight though). If Kebab cares about it, he can improve those things. But the main issue I guess is that he's just kind of slow standing and that's only going to get worse from here. So he should probably just say fuck it and stick with what works.

I'd rather see him round out his submission game than pretend to be a striker like so many grapplers do over time in MMA.

Khabib outstruck RDA, Barboza, MJ and Iaquinta. He is a top 3 MMA striker in the division

Yes, but even the green version of him we saw against Tibau would maul any version of McTapper
"Green version" he was a fucking russian combat sambo champ in two weight classes. Literally combat sambo is probably the closest sport to mma. Plus he was already 14-0 in mma. Plenty of fight time experience, nothing close to someone like a green Holloway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NiTrok
Back