Do you think Judeo Christianity is destine to be as obsolete as Greek/Roman mythology?

It will inevitably be obsolete. There have been longer-standing religions that have vanished from the face of the earth.

Lol these countries are such cucks they cant even say christian values without throwing "judeo" in there.

Most likely

It will be taken over by Islam

N then Muslims will have their own enlightenment.

I guess if earthlings ever have some type of contact with another intergalactic intelligent life form it will impact ppl belief system

Nothing is inevitable. I think the West will become even less Christian than it already is, but that vacuum will be filled, either by Islam or statism. Africa and South America are becoming even more Christian than they already were and many religions, including Christianity, are seeing quick growth in East Asia.

The sad thing is that it STILL makes more sense than some of the fairy tales books of religions. Especially the religions that contradict each other.

The creation stories are not meant to be taken literally. The point of the stories is to show that something we cannot comprehend is responsible for creating the universe. Puritan Thomas Hooker was right when he said, "The point is difficult and the mystery great."

Absolutely. I am sure back in the day the Greeks and Romans never thought it would happen to theirs either.

Nothing is inevitable. I think the West will become even less Christian than it already is, but that vacuum will be filled, either by Islam or statism. Africa and South America are becoming even more Christian than they already were and many religions, including Christianity, are seeing quick growth in East Asia.

Christianity is really growing in China:

Why is Christianity growing so quickly in mainland China?

China on course to become 'world's most Christian nation' within 15 years

In China, Unregistered Churches Are Driving a Religious Revolution

First of all, religion is as old as humanity. There has literally never been a cultural group without a religious ethos and mythos.

The reason religion has always been there is because people need it. Science will never make religion obsolete because science and religion seek to answer fundamentally different questions about human life. No amount of scientific knowledge, has ever, or will ever, supply existential purpose.

When religion weakens in a society, it probably says more about that society than it does about religion. The fundamental, inescapable truth of life is suffering. People need to deal with suffering one way or another. Religion allows people to mediate their individual suffering in a way that is (at least potentially) therapeutic AND socially constructive.

quote-god-does-not-expect-us-to-submit-our-faith-to-him-without-reason-but-the-very-limits-saint-augustine-93-33-87.jpg

What is the deal with judeo-christianity? Judaism is as foreign to the west as Islam. But no, Judaism is as strong as ever. Christianity will eventually lose its place in the west.

It's a term popularized by politicians to link the US to Israel and solidify their military relationship in the Middle East and legitimize the US (and the rest of the West's) forays in that region.

Before the mid 20th century, it was a totally obscure concept. Now, every mouth breather trots it out like it means something.

It will inevitably be obsolete. There have been longer-standing religions that have vanished from the face of the earth.

Perhaps, but it will be replaced with another mythological entity. A belief in a higher power and greater purpose to life beyond our comprehension, is human nature.

It's a term popularized by politicians to link the US to Israel and solidify their military relationship in the Middle East and legitimize the US (and the rest of the West's) forays in that region.

Before the mid 20th century, it was a totally obscure concept. Now, every mouth breather trots it out like it means something.
Yeah, it's ridiculous. Throughout most of history Jews were as vilified in the west as Muslims. They were put into ghettos and many times simply expelled or killed.
Sure, Christianity is also an Abrahamic religion like Judaism, but so is Islam. And in my opinion, Judaism is a lot closer to Islam than to Christianity.
It's a term used mostly by evangelical neocons, which is funny, because Jews hate evangelicals, they hate them more than they hate muslims.

I think in the near future Christianity is destined to become a distinct minority in the West. What I wonder is what ideologies will replace it and when or if it will swing mack into cultural prominence.
Probably Wahhabi Sunni Islam in Europe and Canada. I think the US will still be mostly Christian, possibly even more evangelical.

The decline is more due to the fact that we're in the information age and people waking up to the fact that religions have been used as systems of control by governments for 1000s of years.

Its said that when a nation wants to start a campaign of colonizing a foreign land, the first people they send in are not the soldiers but the missionaries.

Also the spread of western religions have eroded traditional cultures in south america, asia, africa, etc. For me its sad to see the spread of Christianity in Asia, Asia is losing its traditional cultures of confucianism/taoism and being replaced by Christianity and western liberalism/feminism.

Its ironic that the same people I see here complaining about the loss of traditional European culture to Islam, are the same people who cheer on the loss of traditional cultures to Christianity and want to see this western religion take over the globe. Maybe then the whole world will look the same, act the same, dress the same, talk the same, etc.

But yeah, keep trying to convince me God was some white man on a cross, not gonna happen I know what this is.

Do you think Anti Theists who want Judeo Christianity...

What is "Judeo Christianity"? A non-existent combination of two different religions, like "Hindu Buddhism".

Why would anti theists only want this "Judeo Christianity" religion to become extinct, and not organized religion as a whole? Seems weird to me.

Well, everyone is going to die when the sun turns into a giant red, so everything is supposed to end technically.

If the point you are trying to make is whether it will be gone like the greek one in our recent times?

I doubt so, because by its nature Christianity is far more spiritual so it can get away with its contradictions.

For example creationism isnt necesary to be a christian, but Mt Olympus is core to the Greek mythology and we know gods dont live there.

The reality is that religion has been a central part of the advancement of civilization to the point we see today. Space rockets, genetics and microbiology. The majority of people who led to the inventions of all of these things had some deistic or religious belief. Darwin was a Christian who lost his faith with the death of his child, not because he discovered evolution. Newton did more writing on religion than he did on physics. Einstein was a deist. Collins (man who mapped the genome) is a hardcore Christian.

The point is that these brilliant minds could make their peace with some understanding of the universe which involved religion or just a deity. That doesn't make it any truer however they weren't bitter and vicious children like modern anti-theists who think they're scientific geniuses because they can read half of the Origin of Species and feel ultimately equipped to trash on religion as though they're the first people to do it.
Religiosity is actually one of the strongest correlations that we have with being handicapped. Non-religiosity is one of the strongest correlations that exists with intelligence.

At gifted level IQs, over 90% of people are atheist or agnostic. At mentally handicapped IQs, over 90% of people are religious.

1024px-LynnHarveyNyborg-Atheism-IQ.svg.png

untitled.jpg

3925e04f500071749fba03deb1c46fa6.jpg

IQ_and_theism.png

intelligence_god.jpg

Religiosity is actually one of the strongest correlations that we have with being handicapped. Non-religiosity is one of the strongest correlations that exists with intelligence.

^ ^ ^ I can't edit my posts but obviously I mean mentally handicapped.

You attack anti-theists but fail to mention the ridiculousness of Joseph Smith? The fabrications of Muhammad's "findings? Obvious silly shit found in the Bible?

You started at the wrong place for criticism hub.
Religious people don't realize how their religions sound to other people that don't share their brainwashing. It's the same with people in cults.

If he's curious -- here's a website that breaks down each passage in the Bible as to how a person with no emotional connection to Christianity would read it:

http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/

Back