Do you think Joe Rogan is smart?

Lol ... id say scientists in general are pretty intelligent. Comedians are in general class clowns that were abused as children and need attention

@elcj is correct. Humor is linked to intelligence. Comedians are usually also socially intelligent, and have great observational skills. For example Ken Jeong (from Road Trip) is a doctor turned comedian/comedic actor.

The abuse thing, I kinda agree with you on though.

@elcj is correct. Humor is linked to intelligence. Comedians are usually also socially intelligent, and have great observational skills. For example Ken Jeong (from Road Trip) is a doctor turned comedian/comedic actor.

The abuse thing, I kinda agree with you on though.

Humor is in no way linked to intelligence. I can tell you a hundred super smart socially awkward nerds with absurd logic skills for every one doctor that's a comedian.

Show me a solid metric for how you rate people’s intellect...? and degrees, IQ test or SAT isn’t one of them.
No one in the world believes that the ACT or SAT or LSAT determine intelligence. Although they do mirror some aspects of intelligence testing. Their primary purpose is determine if you possess basic problem solving skills taught during certain grades in school. If you were never taught the concepts or their foundational concepts, your intelligence doesn't matter, you won't do well on the tests.

But real intelligence tests go much further.

There is nothing wrong with the old school Binet-Simon Scale, but Wechsler Adult Intelligence Scale is now the accepted test across disciplines and countries.

I'd love to learn more about Neuroimaging intelligence testing, although it could be used to hide racial and ethnic biases, rather than illustrate the impact of social, economic and environmental injustices on aspects of intelligence.

Two types of intelligences that are interesting reading topics are:
  1. Fluid intelligence
  2. Crystallized intelligence

He routinely sounds out words with more than three syllables....you tell me.

he is smart (after all, he succeeded in life), but not as smart as he thinks he is

Typical celebrity, earns enough money working in short spurts to have lots of extra time on his hands. I have no idea how smart he is, though being a comedian he probably has a quick wit. But they like to spend that time gathering enough anecdotal knowledge to appear as smarter than they are. There are exceptions, Sharon Stone, Jodie Foster etc. but I doubt Joe is one of them.

Humor is in no way linked to intelligence. I can tell you a hundred super smart socially awkward nerds with absurd logic skills for every one doctor that's a comedian.

"...Structural equation models showed that general and verbal intelligence both predict humor production ability..."

"...the human sense of humor evolved at least partly through sexual selection as an intelligence-indicator."

(Greengross & Miller, 2011)

Link

He has a decent amount of knowledge across a large array of subjects, a few of which he is very well versed on like MMA. He makes some good points, but is occasionally ignorant and talks out of his ass. I wouldn't say he is smart, but he is probably more intelligent than the average person.

FWIW, I listen to most his podcasts unless he has a comic guest on. Those ones are usually uninteresting and super repetitive, I can't see how anyone enjoys the insider rants about the comedy scene. Who fucking cares if Yuk Yuk's comedy club in Boise is a great room?

What are examples of him talking out of his ass?

He brings on leading experts in their fields, he isn't supposed to be more knowledgeable than them. And he often prefaces his statements with something self depreciating acknowledging that he isn't an expert in the area he is about to shoot on.

He expressed lots of opinions on lots of things, so it is statistically probable that people are going to disagree with him about some things, but that doesn't mean he isn't smart. He seems to have pretty sound logic with all of the conclusions he comes to.

giphy.gif

You conflated people who like shows about shallow topics with people who profit off of these shallow people.

2 TOTALLY different things. The producers who are able to profit off of things like "Keeping up with the Kardashians" or "Flavor of Love" are smart for being able to recognize and tap into a market, regardless of whether or not their actual audience is smart.

But that's neither here nor there, since Joe was simply a host not the producer and (probably not a consumer).
By your own admission, the producers showed some signs of intelligence, but lack moral fortitude (another aspect of intelligence by the way)

But Joe showed no signs of intelligence beyond self preservation (not a sign of intelligence, as it is a instinct or urge in all humans)

You get points for the Obama gif tho. Keep trying.

He brings on leading experts in their fields, he isn't supposed to be more knowledgeable than them. And he often prefaces his statements with something self depreciating acknowledging that he isn't an expert in the area he is about to shoot on.

He expressed lots of opinions on lots of things, so it is statistically probable that people are going to disagree with him about some things, but that doesn't mean he isn't smart. He seems to have pretty sound logic with all of the conclusions he comes to.

LOL. Jesus Christ.

By your own admission, the producers showed some signs of intelligence, but lack moral fortitude (another aspect of intelligence by the way)

But Joe showed no signs of intelligence beyond self preservation (not a sign of intelligence, as it is a instinct or urge in all humans)

You get points for the Obama gif tho. Keep trying.

This guy... so now your argument is:

"okay, so maybe they're smart, but they're immoral people, so there!"

87651635.ExdwAP6i.DSC06554_s.jpg

"He's not as smart as he thinks he is" - The dude calls himself a "dummy" and says "I'm probably too stupid to be talking about this" all the time.

Like most things, I find him somewhere in the middle. He's curious about attaining knowledge and information which I would say put's him ahead of most random people out there that only care about what's essentially right in front of them.

"He's not as smart as he thinks he is" - The dude calls himself a "dummy" and says "I'm probably too stupid to be talking about this" all the time.

Like most things, I find him somewhere in the middle. He's curious about attaining knowledge and information which I would say put's him ahead of most random people out there that only care about what's essentially right in front of them.

Self-deprecating humor doesn't convince me that someone is dumb.

But I agree with you 100% on the latter half of your statement. An overwhelming majority of people (no proof, just my conjecture) couldn't care less about being knowledgeable about anything outside of their immediate interests or outside of what they need to survive in their daily life, in other words, most people are ignorant as hell.

He's smart in relation to his peers. You definitely notice his limitations when he brings in highly educated guests.

He would be one of the smarter people in a group of dumb people.

Well the first recent one that comes to mind... "Jon Jones probably failed his drug test because he did blow that was cut with steroid tainted creatine" LOL

Back