Do you think brad Pitt is a good actor?

Yes.

He's very good really, but in relation to other "movie stars", he's average or slightly above average.

I don't think he is no, not even really a solidly good one. I mean he's better than like Paul Walker (for guys known for looks), but is he on par w/ Ryan Gosling? I wouldn't say so

seriously, what's his actual best acting job? I'd argue Legends of the Fall, although I haven't seen Benjamin Button so fairly I can't speak on that
agree wholeheartedly with this. I like Pitt, but he is an average actor at best. His real skill is in choosing good roles suited to his abilities.

I think in general Pitt is a bit underrated. He clearly shines when he's playing the archetype cool guy which is why he was perfect for Tyler Durden. He was also really good in Oceans 11 but again similar role. He'll never touch a Ledger or Daniel Day-lewis for range.

I don't think he is no, not even really a solidly good one. I mean he's better than like Paul Walker (for guys known for looks), but is he on par w/ Ryan Gosling? I wouldn't say so

seriously, what's his actual best acting job? I'd argue Legends of the Fall, although I haven't seen Benjamin Button so fairly I can't speak on that

Curious, what roles do you think gosling has done that have the range that Pitt has shown?

Gosling has had some good roles, but the range from say 12 monkeys to Troy to fight club to legends of the fall is quite a range

He'll never touch a Ledger or Daniel Day-lewis for range.

LOL at making out Ledger was some thespian super power. 2-3 decent roles and dying young don't put you in, for example, DDL's league.

Pitt was as good as Ledger at least, imo.

I have no problem w/ people saying he's good, to each their own and he has been solid in some roles

but if he's pretty good, then what is like Ben Foster? Just trying to capture this relative scale is all

I think in general Pitt is a bit underrated. He clearly shines when he's playing the archetype cool guy which is why he was perfect for Tyler Durden. He was also really good in Oceans 11 but again similar role. He'll never touch a Ledger or Daniel Day-lewis for range.
Ledger gets a lot of love for joker, but he didn’t have the range Pitt did over an entire career, maybe he would have had it been a longer run though.

I mean ledger had that teen angst movie, a knights tale , a gay cowboy and joker.

He’s very capable, and I like that he sometimes he picks some weird roles but doesn’t make a career of it like Johnny depp

And he certainly has range, but don’t think I would Put him at the top like Pacino and deniro but he’s close

Never mention acting range without mentioning James Mcavoy(not saying others arent good lol). If you havent seen Split.... watch it.

Curious, what roles do you think gosling has done that have the range that Pitt has shown?

Gosling has had some good roles, but the range from say 12 monkeys to Troy to fight club to legends of the fall is quite a range
Fair enough, but Gosling did start on Mickey Mouse Club and Breaker High, so he clearly has evolved much as an actor.
Gosling can solidly do rom-coms, I don't think Pitt can (Meet Joe Black was pretty good IMO, but not a rom-com). But comparing Fracture, to Remember the Titans, to Drive, to La La Land, to Blade Runner 2049, Half Nelson, etc.....shows some pretty good range IMO

then again, what do I know. If anything i'm more criticizing his consistency, not his peak performances

then what is like Ben Foster?
Short.

It's really hard to quantify acting across discussion, but all and all I would say Pitt is at least equal or greater to Foster. The fact that he cuts a much more attractive figure plays huge into his popularity and as a result Foster is seriously out-gunned here. There are great actors on Foster's level, such as Garrett Dillahunt, James Marsden, etc.; I think a good tweener would be Tom Hardy who graduated from the Foster class into the big leagues only a couple years ago but manages not to dilute himself too quickly.

It's like an entire thread of people who have never seen 12 Monkeys.

Range is also a funny thing too
you can have like amazing range, but some poor roles and people will consider you a bad actor. Take Jamie Foxx.....started off on In Living Color and is really a stand up comedian and comedic actor originally. His role in Collateral is nothing like that, his dorky Electro (even if you hated it) is nothing like that, Miami Vice he played a smooth suave guy, Ray was a straight up phenomenal job of acting as was his Siderole in Ali as the drug addict. Then still does comedic roles like in Horrible Bosses.

whereas Keannu Reeves has like zero range, and i'd imagine many people would say he's a better actor b/c they like Speed and John Wick?

I think a case can be made for Paul Rudd being extremely good at what he does, but also having like negative range.

He's hit or miss. Some great roles, some not so great. But most actors are like that, hard to find one that excels in every character they play.

He's the p4p best movie eater.

Eating them skrimps like he invented it.

Begs the question who scores 9/10+ for both acting ability and looks?

DDL? Brando? Pacino? Denzel?

He’s certainly done a wide variety of roles.

I mean, not really. He's like a piece of baguette with butter on it: inoffensive, popular with wide audiences, a sure-value from a producer's perspective.

He's pretty wooden, seems quite unsure of himself a lot of the time. But when he's confident, he's much better.

He may just have the worst accent work in Hollywood though….holy shit this man can't pull off a single damn accent.

Back