Do you think BJ's legacy suffered from him fighting way past his prime?

Nah people will mostly remember BJ fondly as a legend.

BJ was a featherweight fighting up to heavyweight lol.

These casuals will never understand.

I have a love/hate thing with your posts sometimes. But your last post I love

Of course....

I also think fighting "in his prime" caused his career to suffer also.

Last edited:
Nope, probably the most naturally talented fighter of all time. When his head wasn't in it it was a shame, but when he was on he was a fucking buzzsaw

As a huge BJ Penn fan, the answer is yes.

BJ Penn is like Gohan. So yes he's a legend with a lot of natural talent that never lived up to his potential. He will never be a Goku or Vegeta, but he is still Gohan.

That and his massive ego are two reasons, sure

not really.

his legacy means nothing to people who weren't following the sport when he was on top, and it can't be tainted for the people who were. we know how good he was and what he's accomplished, despite his horrible record.

he's an all time great.

This ^^^

Or do you separate those results - Frankie 3, Yair, Siver - from his previous body of work?
Absolutely. He was a shell of himself at times, would become discouraged in hard fights. His legacy definitely impacted.

Nope.... The guy would fight anybody at any weight. And when motivated was one of the best. Sticking around to long is just a part of sports.

Everyone's legacy suffers fighting past their prime and taking multiple losses. Early BJ Penn was great. Later not so much. He is slightly over rated imo.

I mean of course. Most fighters stick around too long, but BJ stuck around too long the way Tito did. To the point they lost so many fights in a row it's hard to convince anyone they were ever good.

BJ is more than a fighter. he embodied the spirit of the sport.

Dr. J isn't a top 10 basketball player of all time, but he is a legend because he embodied the spirit of that sport. high flying, joyous, and freestyling.

he'll always hold a special place in the sport.
giphy.gif

Back