Do you step across or pivot on the spot when throwing low kicks?

physioboy

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
I find it much more powerful to step across, I literally stamp my standing foot down with the foot rotated 90 degrees - usually after throwing one or 2 quicker kicks to gauge their defence.

From an old school (kind of, 2006) MMA 'competition'

roundhousekick.gif

I just wrote this too - http://blackbeltwhitehat.com/mma/technique/how-to-throw-a-roundhouse-kick/

Feedback more than welcome, thanks!

I like to throw it on the spot because majority of the time I throw combos, and having a break in the rhythm to step (although much stronger) is slower, and a large tell to a good striker. Either they'd check, move, or counter me if the luxury of time is present.

That's just the way I've been taught along with my exp. in competing though. Its fighting, so anything can work depending on the fighter.

Good stuff though, it covers the pivot, the center line, getting more dig on the kick. All of which we should all be doing anyways for a solid kick.

For MT (i don't know how different it's for MMA)

You talk about speed and power difference, but i think another important aspect to discuss is the distance. A "regular" low kick is done from a kicking range, and you stay in that range. With a step-in low kick, you go into a punching range. That means you have to train different continuation combos after landing the kick.
For example after a hard step in low, if you manage to make him loose his balance, it's a very good opportunity to go for the clinch with an advantage, and its easy to do, since you are in there after the kick.

You also have to be aware of different type of counters. With a step in low, it's a lot easier to run into a hook or elbow. With the regular ones, you have to worry more about straight punches.

I don't really like the step in low from the gif, because the guy runs straight at his opponent with both hands down. It's MMA, so i don't know how "wrong" it is, but from a MT point of view it's not good.

Another thing is the set up. Like j123, a step in is a huge tell for experienced strikers. But there are lots of ways to hide it. One that i use is: after a front foot teep, i drop my leg down to a step in instead of its normal position. It may seems awkward at first, and you can't do a huge step but it hide it well, and you bypass the problem of breaking the rhythm.
You can do the same thing after a check.

I think in MMA you can also have a good opportunity to do it while the opponents runs backward after a blitz. In MT it doesn't really happen often.

I like to throw it on the spot because majority of the time I throw combos, and having a break in the rhythm to step (although much stronger) is slower, and a large tell to a good striker. Either they'd check, move, or counter me if the luxury of time is present.

That's just the way I've been taught along with my exp. in competing though. Its fighting, so anything can work depending on the fighter.

Good stuff though, it covers the pivot, the center line, getting more dig on the kick. All of which we should all be doing anyways for a solid kick.

This for me the majority of the time. I prefer to throw it without the step so as not to telegraph, when I do step I change the angle of the kick to make it come down more on top of the thigh Sam Greco style than going into the side of the leg like I would if I was staying in place.

Lyoto%2BMachida%2BBody%2BKicks%2Band%2BDestroys%2BCB%2BDollaway%2BUFC%2BFight%2BNight%2B58%2BBarueri.gif
I prefer the step. I think it depends on your foot speed and timing. Not everyone has naturally fast legs. edit I realize i posted a body kick. As far as telegraphing, I think it still applies.

Last edited:
I think you use both in the same way you sometimes jab with a step and sometimes without a step.

Both.

I use like +10 different lowkicks

you should do a tutorial video on them. I would def watch.

I second this, Frode's low kicks have always turned me on.

I mean erm...

I meant to say Frode's low kicks have always turned me on.

In all seriousness.

If I'm in kicking range then for me its a jab and step to the outside if I'm in orthodox, if I'm in southpaw I step to turn the opponent and kick as they turn, or step in and kick the rear leg, Thepnimit style. My entire model for low kicks is the way the Sitmonchai boys do it. They have a big step and decimate people with low kicks - and they do it just fine. I think it's a matter of speed as well, if you're fast the telegraph doesn't matter quite as much on a kick - but I do think its important to throw punches or kicks to hide it. In punching range, I try to do it more 'dutch style', it's worth mentioning though that being a southpaw naturally, I tended to go for body kicks more, so I can't claim my low kick technique to be incredible. That's just how I go for it.

An inside low kick I'll either pendulum step, if I'm on the go (I tend to pendulum step into it more if I don't feel comfortable with the opponent and want to stay more outside) - akin to a guy like Sagat, which was how I learned it. OR I just put my weight on my back leg and just kick without a step or a pivot, Rambaa Somdet style.

In Karate I was taught to pivot. In MT to step across. Both ways are good for different purposes. Karate kicks are (usually) faster and less telegraphed, MT kicks are more powerful. Knowing both is the best way.

Outside
#1 I like taking a double step to the outside and then kick. You can use the same movement to sweep them. If you notice them turning very quickly to check, you can kick the inside of the leg instead and/or let him check, do a lighter kick and hook his calf to drag him off balance. I'm also looking to practice doing the movement but turning the left hip in as you step thus loading a spinning back kick as he turns his body into it. #2 I pivot in place with the outside low kick to tag guys who are frisky with their jab. Ideally you want to hit their calf at its bottom, right at the middle of their leg, because you can drag them off balance with that spot.

I don't like stepping to the inside at all. He doesn't even need to be on a hair trigger with his right hand, which is risk enough and I got a knockdown that way the other day - he can simply step in and get a free takedown when you're on one leg right in front of him.

Inside
#1 Let him load up his rear hand and smack him with an inside low kick as he fires it. Hurts, defuses the right hand, and should knock him off balance. You can do that pivoting in place in which case you put your hand out to frame, or stepping outside which makes it easier to drag off balance. #2 take a hop or sidestep to the outside and tag his inside as he turns his leg to face you.

Rear Leg
#1 I haven't implemented any regular way to get at the rear leg. But if I were to do so, which I want to start doing, I would simply double step to the inside after already moving there with a pivot jab. If he tries to punch you can fake the movement into a frame/trap with your left and then 2 > 3 > 3. Against a southpaw you'd obviously have to double step to their inside, which you could do after a sidestep throwaway jab. In both cases if they try to check or kick you can sweep their front leg instead.

Last edited:
I second this, Frode's low kicks have always turned me on.

I mean erm...

I meant to say Frode's low kicks have always turned me on.
ergo, you wouldn't have trouble fapping to that.

Back