Do you stay on your toes always?

EatMyShorts

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
By toes I mean - balls of your feet?

Do you stay on your toes at all times?

I used to stay fairly flat footed with my abdominal muscles always pinched for max punching power, then found my reaction times improved when I stayed on the ball of my rear foot.

Then I found they improved again if I stay on the ball of both feet.

Now I'm super happy with my movement, speed and reaction times but - someone said to me after sparring tonight that, whilst it is an effective way to box - staying on the toes all the time does take a toll on the energy levels/fitness.

The dude I was sparring - he was totally walk forward, take a shot to give a shot, and I was taggin him well in the first two rounds, but my fitness gave way in the third and he landed some good shots.

So what is it?

You expert combat athletes.

Flat footed?

Transition between both?

I was trying to watch Mayweather vids to see what he did but, it's hard to tell...

Usually one heel up, one heel down. Maximizes mobility and balance while facilitating weight transfer.

Yes, unless I'm unloading or staying in the pocket.

I keep my front foot rooted and stay in the balls of my back foot. I really don't like being bouncy unless I'm sparring heavyweights.

By toes I mean - balls of your feet?

Do you stay on your toes at all times?

I used to stay fairly flat footed with my abdominal muscles always pinched for max punching power, then found my reaction times improved when I stayed on the ball of my rear foot.

Then I found they improved again if I stay on the ball of both feet.

Now I'm super happy with my movement, speed and reaction times but - someone said to me after sparring tonight that, whilst it is an effective way to box - staying on the toes all the time does take a toll on the energy levels/fitness.

The dude I was sparring - he was totally walk forward, take a shot to give a shot, and I was taggin him well in the first two rounds, but my fitness gave way in the third and he landed some good shots.

So what is it?

You expert combat athletes.

Flat footed?

Transition between both?

I was trying to watch Mayweather vids to see what he did but, it's hard to tell...

I'm very out of shape so I stay flat footed to conserve energy.

B?

Transition between both?

This, depends on your objective, it's a cliche that you need to "plant your feet" to get good power in a shot, so if you want to take someone out, you can't be bouncing in the air, the other ide of the coin is having your feet planted makes you an easier target to hit, so it's all about, as Paul Malignaggi says, "decision making"

The dude I was sparring - he was totally walk forward, take a shot to give a shot, and I was taggin him well in the first two rounds, but my fitness gave way in the third and he landed some good shots..

He sounds like a swarmer/brawler/mauler type, as I was saying, in order to have this kind of style, planted feet are a necessity, but it's also why you were able to hit him so easily, against tougher opponents this kind of style is meant to wear people down in a battle of attrition, sometimes they don't even mind or even expect to lose the first few rounds

Even with planted heels the real importance of being on the balls of your feet is to keep your weight there. Meaning you can appear flat footed and still be on the balls of your feet.

I actually have a problem and it's legits

I walk with all my weight on the front part of my foot, like a ninja or something

Don't even realize I do it but I wear out the front of my sneakers first every time

I have no calous on my heel but do on each of my big toes

I've worn sneakers down to a hole right close to where my toes are while the heel still has decent threads

And I walk quite often

Ball started rolling for me when i started jumping rope

(Edit: not that i'm Pacquiao now even though i like to believe so)

Last edited:
Ball started rolling for me when i started jumping rope

(Edit: not that i'm Pacquiao now even though i like to believe so)
Yup. My footwork and lightness on my feet get significantly worse when I stop running or jump roping

Don't stand or push off your actual toes, those things are too week to ground or transmit power

Back