Do you remember/miss Unsolved Mysteries?

Funny part is I have no issues paying to watch them online or buying the streams. But they even seem to keep THAT under lock and key. It's kind of creepy in itself that such an old show is being harbored so diligently.

Yeah, it is pretty weird. Apparently there was a 25 disc Ultimate Collection that came out a little while back. It looks pretty bad ass.

c708b53b9cb1405ff32b523c567be412.jpg

Look at the price Walmart had it for when it was still available:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Unsolved-Mysteries-The-Ultimate-Collection/10751545

Prices on eBay range from $395 for the cheapest used set up to $3000 for a new set.

Yeah, it is pretty weird. Apparently there was a 25 disc Ultimate Collection that came out a little while back. It looks pretty bad ass.

c708b53b9cb1405ff32b523c567be412.jpg

Look at the price Walmart had it for when it was still available:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Unsolved-Mysteries-The-Ultimate-Collection/10751545

Prices on eBay range from $395 for the cheapest used set up to $3000 for a new set.

Yeah UM is one of those shows that was/is constantly being put on and pulled out on the net. Only other show that has had an issue with distribution and whatnot was The Wonder Years, but I get that, the music and whatnot.

Remember it? Yes. Miss it? No. I miss it like I would miss some boogeyman who tormented me in my youth.

I remember there being one about werewolves that geeked me out when I was a kid

Yeah UM is one of those shows that was/is constantly being put on and pulled out on the net. Only other show that has had an issue with distribution and whatnot was The Wonder Years, but I get that, the music and whatnot.

I wonder what exactly the deal is.

Was a great show used to watch it way back when it was on.

The year was 1987. The network? NBC. The event? The premiere of Unsolved Mysteries, a TV show that would go on to attract viewers in the tens of millions.

It started off as a series of three specials called "Missing. . . Have you seen this person?" And from this initial series came what we would know as Unsolved Mysteries, hosted by the incomparable Robert Stack. Dealing with a wide variety of speculative topics, the show covered stories ranging everywhere from true crime cases and lost loves to alternative history and the paranormal.

A quick rundown of the show's airing history:

*1987-1997: the show airs on NBC but canceled in 1997 due to declining ratings after being moved from Wednesday nights to Friday nights in 1994

*1997-1999: CBS picks up the show for a few limited, six-episode seasons, airing at 9 PM

*2001-2002: Lifetime picks up the show, re-airing old episodes and sporadically producing new ones, airing the show between 11 AM and 3 PM

*2008-2010: Spike picks up the show and revamps it, with a new set, new logo and new host (Dennis Farina), but exclusively uses old cases for their episodes

*2010-Present: Lifetimes begins re-airing the revamped Dennis Farina episodes

Personally, I haven't seen the show in years, but last night I remembered watching it as a kid with my grandmother. Those are good memories. I fucking LOVED Unsolved Mysteries. Now I think I'm going to go try to track down as much of the series as I can and re-live that experience.

So who else here remembers Unsolved Mysteries and has some good memories of watching it back in the day?

Dat logo:

unsolvedmysteries.jpg

Dat Robert Stack:

4557030_l2.jpg

Dat intro:

This show used to scare the shit out of me. I remember there was one about the Boogie man that really fucked me up for a while

The Denis Farina episodes sometime air on some channel over here in the middle of the night I have watched a few when there is nothing else on. Kind of reminds me of a show I watched growing up called Strange But True.

That's the question, really. Apparently the revamped Dennis Farina episodes didn't have the same feel, or at least that's what I've read, I haven't seem them myself. I'd love to see them bring it back and cover new cases, but they'd have to do it in a way that retains the creepy, and I daresay mysterious, feel of the original show.

They got rid of the darkened alleyways, fog and blue-lit background

maxresdefault.jpg

For this....

latest

Double post but anyone remember Beyond Belief: Fact or Fiction with Jonathan Frakes and James Brolin?

hqdefault.jpg

9347627_f520.jpg

They got rid of the darkened alleyways, fog and blue-lit background

maxresdefault.jpg

For this....

latest

It's interesting you post this right at this moment because I actually JUST got done reading this particular IMDB comment:

Farina was in a packed FBI type warehouse, with people running like ants around said warehouse. The original had Robert Stack peering through clouds and smoke, exposed to all bad things. The original was creepy. These were unsolved mysteries, and Stack was in a creepy cemetery at night, or in a haunted house. It always felt as if Robert Stack was in some sort of danger as we learned about an eerie Unsolved Mystery.

Farina's Unsolved Mystery removed that aspect. Everything was updated. And he was always in an active FBI warehouse. As good as it was at times, it just wasn't creepy enough; like the original.

Sounds lame.

Double post but anyone remember Beyond Belief: Fact or Fiction with Jonathan Frakes and James Brolin?

Back in the day I either watched that show or one very much like it. Shows like that can be fun sometimes. Is there even anything on TV like that anymore?

Back in the day I either watched that show or one very much like it. Shows like that can be fun sometimes. Is there even anything on TV like that anymore?

Not that I know of; I would assume tv audiences are too fractured for something like that to work.

It reminds me of the "UFO" threads we get in the Mayberry. 'Ancient Aliens' on History is laughed at, and rightfully so, but if you watch something like 'Mysteries of the Gods' with William Shatner.,the bullshit is treated rather evenly, and it makes for intriguing viewing.

The 90's were pretty boss in terms of the esoteric/conspiracy/paranormal explosion in popular culture and media (ie. X Files, Unsolved Mysteries, Sightings, Nowhere Man, Psi Factor, etc.)

Not that I know of; I would assume tv audiences are too fractured for something like that to work.

It reminds me of the "UFO" threads we get in the Mayberry. 'Ancient Aliens' on History is laughed at, and rightfully so, but if you watch something like 'Mysteries of the Gods' with William Shatner.,the bullshit is treated rather evenly, and it makes for intriguing viewing.

The 90's were pretty boss in terms of the esoteric/conspiracy/paranormal explosion in popular culture and media (ie. X Files, Unsolved Mysteries, Sightings, Nowhere Man, Psi Factor, etc.)

I love all that shit. I actually just got done reading a really good book on UFOs.

Yes, it use to scare the shit out of me. Robert stack was one creepy motherfucker, but i didn't miss an episode
I think Rescue 911 was on at around that time too and also use to scare me.

tumblr_m5c854dluv1rtssg1o1_500.jpg

Everyone keeps mentioning Rescue 911. I vaguely remember that shit. It didn't have nearly the impact on me that Unsolved Mysteries did.

Apparently they shot a lot of Stack's parts in a Masonic Temple. Once again adding the creepiness of the show since I thought only Masons were allowed to set foot in those and the whole Masonic thing is strange anyway

I've seen Cold Case Files. It's cool, but not as cool as Unsolved Mysteries for two reasons:

1. No Robert Stack
2. UM covered a much wider variety of cases, not just crimes

Stack would have been perfect on To Catch a Predator.

Remember the rescue 911 where the dude got his junk stuck in the pool jet

Back