Do you know any black belts who don't train anymore?

• Thread starter Significance Deficit
  • Start date
Also you have to look at your gym/yourself , if you are older and you are constantly getting injured because the gym/you go to hard to often; then you should find a gym that isn't full of meatheads.

Like i said, nothing wrong with that imo. But it just doesnt sit right with me that if you choose to do so you keep getting promoted and are of equal rank as people that do train hard after they get their blackbelt, i feel promotions should be for them only.
It states that you must train or teach to get promoted

Also you have to look at your gym/yourself , if you are older and you are constantly getting injured because the gym/you go to hard to often; then you should find a gym that isn't full of meatheads.

People who don't train hard get injured too.

Usually not as often. Heck Carlos Gracie jr still spars.

What intensity does he spar at?
Flow rolling seem safe but it seems guys that used to train fairly hard but fell out of shape and now train like once or twice a week at medium intensity get injured a lot.

What intensity does he spar at?
Flow rolling seem safe but it seems guys that used to train fairly hard but fell out of shape and now train like once or twice a week at medium intensity get injured a lot.

I'm not talking about flow rolling all the time when I say "don't go balls to the walls". I mean go at the pace and intensity/ frequency that your body allows you to. Carlos mixes it up, he does not however go all out all the time. That's he key, brown/black belts should know how to roll with injuries and control intensity so they don't get injured. Unless preparing for competition.

I started at 33, had a job with a lot of responsibilities, worked my way up to blackbelt. But id never want to own my own school.

I've always liked teaching. I think I'd really enjoy it. Plus, from a business perspective, the overhead is ridiculously low.

Totally. I can think of about 3 in my area alone. They're all in their 40's and have had jobs promotions and/or growing families and just don't have time to train as much.

One doesn't train at all, and the other 2 maybe train once a month.

that is a very high % of drop outs at black belt.. I cant see the reason why would someone quit after getting it.
Maybe because then there is no next rank so there just stuck.

I do sad story, the man was in the BJJ business because he liked it but he was a snake oil salesman so he tried to rip people off and had a huge ego, so half his team broke up when they got enough experience and they just managed with what they had and the support of a purple from another city and the occasional clinic.

But since the BB wanted to keep everyone under control, most people just went to train with the other team and eventually it became far better than the BB team who was in his 40s, so eventually the BB team was taken over by one of his brown belts and the brown decided that it was better to merge both teams.

But since the BB has a huge ego he wont go train in the gym that remains because he feels betrayed by the blue (now brown) that split up and the brown he trained because he merged with the other team, despite the fact that his business would had failed without these 2 guys.

So yeah, abandoned BJJ just because of ego and being an otherwise shit person.

Back