Do you have a hard time taking a comedy actor seriously? Example John Krasinski

TheNinja

Steel Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
I see those trailers for his new upcoming movie, but honestly, all I can see is smirking Jim from The Office. There is no way I can take him seriously as an action actor.

I also can't take this guy seriously on WestWorld - He'll always be a McPoyle brother to me drinking milk and kissing his sister.

wd8t328l6gxy.jpg

is that the guy from the punisher? he was great in the punisher

That Mork guy will never make it in real movies.

I think it's a case by case basis. I will agree with John Krasinski , he'll always be the punk ass Jim Halpert and not some tough guy

Two examples jump right out:

Anthony Anderson killed it in a serious role in the Shield.

Steve Carell was awesome in Foxcatcher.

Both made you forget who was acting.

I think Krasinski did a good job in 13 Hours. Lots of comedic actors have done great in more serious roles: Jim Carey, Adm Sandler, Jonah Hill, to name a few.

Steve Carell was awesome in Foxcatcher.

I do think that between Foxcatcher and The Big Short, Carell has shown that he can convincingly be serious. I haven't seen Last Flag Flying but I've heard he is good in that one as well.

We can contrast this with someone like Jack Black who just never can seem to totally shift into dramatic mode.

I think Krasinski did a good job in 13 Hours.

Yes, and the film itself is underrated.

actually, comedy actors tend to make very good dramatic actors.

steve carrell, jim carrey, robin williams. krasinski isn't even a comedy actor, he's a guy who was in a comedy sitcom. whenever people think of him in the office they think of his pranks on dwight, but his dramatic moments in seasons 1-4 with pam were excellent.

the stigma that you can't take them seriously is a personal one on your end.

I do think that between Foxcatcher and The Big Short, Carell has shown that he can convincingly be serious. I haven't seen Last Flag Flying but I've heard he is good in that one as well.

We can contrast this with someone like Jack Black who just never can seem to totally shift into dramatic mode.

Yes, and the film itself is underrated.

Jack Black in King Kong wasn't terrible.

Jimmi Simpson looks like he decided to take his career serious and said, "I'll take things from here, Michael Emerson."

Jackson wanted DeNiro!

"Oi! Get me the neeext beest ector!"

I thought he was fine but he was still hamming it up. For that character, it worked well enough.

Let's look at a comedian like Robin Williams though. Think about how he could make a movie like Mrs. Doubtfire or The Birdcage, but he could also switch gears and play the role of the psychiatrist in Good Will Hunting. He was flawless. Imagine Jack Black trying to handle that role and you'll see what I'm getting at.

I thought he was fine but he was still hamming it up. For that character, it worked well enough.

Let's look at a comedian like Robin Williams though. Think about how he could make a movie like Mrs. Doubtfire or The Birdcage, but he could also switch gears and play the role of the psychiatrist in Good Will Hunting. He was flawless. Imagine Jack Black trying to handle that role and you'll see what I'm getting at.

True.

Still not terrible but if anything Black's hidden talent is vocals as opposed to acting.

The movie where he dated Gwyneth Paltrow in which she was this great big ole fat person but he hypnotically saw Gwyneth Paltrow instead and they even put a dude with spina bifida in it like hes some kind of casanova pussy-whipper, Jesus Christ, Jack Black was the least believable thing in it.

True.

Still not terrible but if anything Black's hidden talent is vocals as opposed to acting.

Yeah, his stuff in Tenacious D is legitimately impressive.

What's interesting, regarding acting, is that he said a little while back that he was considering retiring because he's tired of doing the same old thing over and over. I think that he actually WANTS to do more drama but he's just not being offered those roles. Producers just him to be the guy that he's always been.

I wouldn't mind seeing him try to stretch himself. It would at least be interesting.

Krasinki's well on his way.

The Office ended years ago and much of the work he is now taking is of different genres. He was quite solid in 13 Hours, he's going to be Jack Ryan and the horror movie he directed starring him and his wife looks intense.

But yeah it's certainly hard with some actors. It's especially difficult when said comedic actor had a comedic persona that sort of transcended any given role. Jack Black is tough like Shadow said. Again, just so associated with comedies and has that particular goofy comedic persona.

Where Krasinski benefits is that he wasn't even particularly funny on his comedy show. I liked Jim and Jim had some good pranks and reactions but he was seldom the essence of the humor. Far more of a straight man to Carrell's and WIlson's hilarity.

Meanwhile guys like Carrell are really talented enough that they don't get pigeon holed. After Foxcatcher, he is going to have no trouble continuing to get dramatic roles like The Big Short and Last Flag Flying. He was that good. I'd say Carrell is like a throwback to Robin Williams in that regard. Guys like Sandler and Carey could certainly do well but I think it wasn't really in their wheelhouse in terms of what they wanted to be doing.

Guess I should give Will Smith his props, most forget his roots

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Black Noble
Back