Do you guys think Stipe could have finished Ngannou by sub?

Ghost in the Dark

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
We were just talking in the heavies about how DC is unusual at least amongst the strong wrestlers in HW and LHW because he integrates BJJ into his wrestling-based approach and uses it to finish an opponent once he has broken them down - usually by RNC but in this case with the mounted crucifix. I have always wished Cain would do that and I think he could probably have finished several fights or finished them sooner had he done so, Stipe too, instead of just riding and pitter pattering.

With Ngannou totally exhausted and obviously weak on the ground and with Stipe not generating tremendous power with his GNP I'm pretty sure he could have subbed Ngannou if he had gone for it. He went for an armbar and guillotine in the first round with Ngannou fresh. But then he was just content to rack up the points. That's tactically the best option and the safest but do you think he could have finished Ngannou off if he'd been prepared to commit to say, taking the back? Or I saw several opportunities for a Darce, anaconda or arm-in guillotine while Francis was on one knee or getting up.

Would have been nice to really finalise the victory like that.

Last edited:
I think he could have, especially given how tired Ngannou was getting. It was safer to stay on top, lean and continue to inflict damage.

Mind you, I doubt that Ngannou would be able to muster the energy to scramble even if Miocic missed a sub attempt given how tired he was. But no sense risking it

Stipe is not that type of fighter.
If back taking is not your bread and butter, don't do it or you risk the opponent shaking you off or turning into you and ending in top closed guard.

Stipe is not that type of fighter.
If back taking is not your bread and butter, don't do it or you risk the opponent shaking you off or turning into you and ending in top closed guard.

Darces are low risk for losing position compared to guillotines and armbars. I think he could have gotten a darce but it's hard on such a thick guy

Definitely could have but played it safe with just dominating positions for ground and pound .

Yes, but I suppose it wasn't part of the gameplan.

Back