Do you guys think ring rust is real?

Khabib never looks rusty when he returns after his lay offs
Yeah but he trains all year round, teaches regularly, and trains super hard (way harder than he should). This makes it harder to get out of the groove of things.

There is always some degree of rust when you take a long break from any sort of “performance” based thing...

All you can do is prepare your best and depend on your fundamentals to kick in after you get into it. Sometimes that first break of sweat and then a break to compose yourself gets you back in rhythm

I was listening to a podcast with Kevin Lee and he was saying you need time away to learn new skills so he's taking off until August maybe September and that you cant really learn anything new in camps fighting every 3-4 months. So does this mean you actually can get better with a ~ year off and ring rust is not real? Yes/no? How long way until ring rust is real?

I don't know man. I feel like the muscle may lose it's memory after a particular amount of time, I may be wrong. I have no idea how long it would take.

I think it's overrated imo

The only elite fighters I can recall returning after a long layoff are GSP and Cruz, both won

Frank Shamrock did as well, he won

Same with Bas

Am I missing any Elite fighter that lost due to ring rust?

Khabib never looks rusty when he returns after his lay offs

Yeah but he trains all year round, teaches regularly, and trains super hard (way harder than he should). This makes it harder to get out of the groove of things.

Look at the fighters you're listing though. You're all talking about a GOAT and handful of ATGs, plus a 24-0 Dagestani fuck that wrestles bears.

Some people that want to be the best in the world at what they do have the drive to train and sacrifice every day while most people go to the movies.

It depends how much a fighter was training. MMA fighters are typically lazy and only train for 6-8 week periods once or twice a year. In that case it would be a real thing.

You need to balance activity with recovery and time to learn new skills. Obviously ring rust is real, going 100% is a lot different than hard sparring. Also the mental aspect of dealing with the lights, crowd, media obligations and everything else that goes along with the fight itself. Everyone deals with it differently.

Of course it is, look at Michael Jordan when he first came back to basketball, he was not great at all.

There's been too many A-level athletes like Muhammad Ali, Michael Jordan, and others for whom time off clearly affected their performance on their first nights back to say it isn't real...

Maybe it's a bit overstated, and maybe dedicating yourself to enough strenuous amount of training in the gym can help shave off the rust by the time you get back to the real thing, but ring rust is definitely real. Like with anything though, it affects people differently and in different ways. So thinking you've disproven ring rust because "hurr so-and-so destroyed so-and-so after a three year layoff" makes you look like a simpleton.

I've never performed anywhere athletically, but as a huge video gamer, I can tell you gents that when you haven't played a specific game in a long time (or especially any game), it can take up to several minutes to get used to the controls again and get back into your groove. I can only assume that would be even more true for a sport that involves timing, speed, coordination, reflexes, etc. on a grander stage.

Look at the fighters you're listing though. You're all talking about a GOAT and handful of ATGs, plus a 24-0 Dagestani fuck that wrestles bears.

Some people that want to be the best in the world at what they do have the drive to train and sacrifice every day while most people go to the movies.

well obviously if some bum takes a break they will lose, but they were probably losing before they took a break too.

lols

I was listening to a podcast with Kevin Lee and he was saying you need time away to learn new skills so he's taking off until August maybe September and that you cant really learn anything new in camps fighting every 3-4 months. So does this mean you actually can get better with a ~ year off and ring rust is not real? Yes/no? How long way until ring rust is real?
If you bench pressed every day for a year straight then took 2 years completely off of bench pressing how do you think bench press would feel when you finally returned to it? Would you be as strong and would the movement feel just as natural as it did before?
No, obviously.

The same applies to any other sport. "Ring Rust" isn't a matter of believing or not, it exists. How much "rust" there is will be different person to person.

Agreed. I feel like ring rust is not as much of a problem with highly professional and structured fighters or guys that spar so hard that it's almost a real fight.

I agree as well, but it's also kind of a truism. "You don't suffer from not having fights if you basically have fights in training". I'm sure ring rust is real depending on your training or sparring schedule, and there are top guys who've been noted as relatively lazy with their work-outs.

If you bench pressed every day for a year straight then took 2 years completely off of bench pressing how do you think bench press would feel when you finally returned to it? Would you be as strong and would the movement feel just as natural as it did before?
No, obviously.

The same applies to any other sport. "Ring Rust" isn't a matter of believing or not, it exists. How much "rust" there is will be different person to person.
You are implying that Kevin Lee will not train in this 1 year break, but in reality will be exactly the opposite.
He will be back stronger than ever, like GSP.

Jesus Christ ring rust being a real thing is debatable to some mma fans. Lol!

*edit The only fighter that that hasn’t applied to in my decades of watching and participating in boxing and also mma is Floyd Mayweather.

He took 2 years off and made Marquez
Look horrible .

If a guys is saying that it’s a myth tou want to void that guys opinion on anything fight related

People say gsp. He didn’t look like himself. He was bulky and slow. He was tired in there.

That’s not gsp. It’s a credit to gsp being a great fighter and a stylistic nightmare for bisping.

Last edited:
Of course it is, look at Michael Jordan when he first came back to basketball, he was not great at all.

And in fact every time a star comes back after an injury or time off in the NFL, NHL, NBA and MLB they warm them up for at least a game before putting them in critical situations. In fact, the off season in those sports is only four to five months, (almost no time at all compared to the two years that ring rust refers to boxing or MMA), and yet those coaches think their players have to be slowly brought back with pre-season games.

Guess MMA and boxing guys are just so much more athletic that they can go years without actual competition without losing anything, while other sport stars get rusty after just a few months.

You are implying that Kevin Lee will not train in this 1 year break, but in reality will be exactly the opposite.
He will be back stronger than ever, like GSP.
I'm not talking about Kevin Lee, just what ring rust is.
Also lol at GSP being stronger than ever. I'm the biggest GSP fan on sherdog. He didn't look great.

well obviously if some bum takes a break they will lose, but they were probably losing before they took a break too.

lols

giphy.webp

Back