Do you give advice/help to people?

P

Pugilistic

For example in the gym. I sometimes see these guys who obviously have no idea what they're doing and I wonder if I should help them. Today I saw this skinny older looking guy who was benching 40kg with bad form and very little range of motion. I don't think he'll get stronger and he'll likely end up with joint problems. At the very least it just seems like a waste of time for him to do such shitty exercises. I wondered if I should give him some advice but I'm not a qualified trainer and I don't want to be the asshole who gives unsolicited advice to people minding their own business.

I also think about this when I see foreign tourists who look lost. If they ask me for help, I'll gladly help them but I don't want to assume they're lost because they of the way they look. When I was in the states I had people offer me help probably because I'm asian in a town of white people, even though I've been living there for a few years already. I appreciated the gesture but it sometimes got annoying when people just assume shit about you.

I have a friend who always gives unsolicited life advice to people even if nobody asked for it. Shit gets annoying

Do you give advice/help to people even if they don't ask for it?

I would never help or give advice to anyone who didn't ask for it. Even today I was riding my bike on a busy trail loop called Lake Johnson. I saw a dog on a leash with nobody holding it running with an old lady (like 75ish) running behind it, but there was also another lady running right in front of the dog. I could have stopped my bike ride and asked if they lady behind the dog needed help, but what if it was the other ladies dog?!

Also
164aa6741823e84824de62730505d2a5.jpg

Regular lifting gym, no.

MMA/Moo thigh gym yes, I like helping my training partners out and they do the same. The good thing is even though you're exp'd, there's still small holes for improvement.

Man lifting gyms are so bad with advice, either its a guy trying too hard or someone trying to be abdick about it.

Saw one guy do deads wrong, this dipshit walks in aggressively states: you're doing it wrong! Its like this, then dips

Anither one was a guy doing squats and retard goes:

Guy1: Do you want advice on squats?

Gyy2: No

Guy1: Proceeds to give advice

Here's some advice:

Stop drinking your coffee with a straw

If it’s something I’m familiar with or experienced I probably will.

If I thought they were a decent human, I would bond with them on another level, and then give advice in the gym. Otherwise, it's not my concern.

edit: as for tourists, i helped a few guys at the port recently, who didn't know where to go...they kept standing next to me, and I pointed them to the taxi stand.

If a guy is doing it wrong, then fuck em....but if they look in need of help, you help them. And you don't laugh at them afterwards, as that negates all the decency.

Last edited:
Fuck no. Stay out of my life and I stay out of yours

There was one time I saw a couple of international students on a college campus struggling with their boxes. They were two girls and they just looked like they arrived and they were struggling with a bunch of huge boxes. I offered to help them and carried some of their boxes for them. They seemed to really appreciate it.

Regular lifting gym, no.

MMA/Moo thigh gym yes, I like helping my training partners out and they do the same. The good thing is even though you're exp'd, there's still small holes for improvement.

Man lifting gyms are so bad with advice, either its a guy trying too hard or someone trying to be abdick about it.

Saw one guy do deads wrong, this dipshit walks in aggressively states: you're doing it wrong! Its like this, then dips

Anither one was a guy doing squats and retard goes:

Guy1: Do you want advice on squats?

Gyy2: No

Guy1: Proceeds to give advice

One time in my boxing gym there was a guy who came up to me while I was hitting the double end bag and gave me a lecture about how the double end bag is a useless gimmick. He wasn't a trainer or anything, just a gym member who was less experienced than me. I just ignored him and proceeded to finish the round.

I always wonder if it's my place to correct people since I'm not a trainer but in the case with boxing, I am at least a former professional. It kills me to see people with shitty ass form just wailing away at the bag, their feet all over their place, their punches being telegraphed from miles away, etc. But they don't know who I am so if I give them advice, they'd probably think, "who the fuck is this telling me what to do?"

There was one time I saw a couple of international students on a college campus struggling with their boxes. They were two girls and they just looked like they arrived and they were struggling with a bunch of huge boxes. I offered to help them and carried some of their boxes for them. They seemed to really appreciate it.

One time in my boxing gym there was a guy who came up to me while I was hitting the double end bag and gave me a lecture about how the double end bag is a useless gimmick. He wasn't a trainer or anything, just a gym member who was less experienced than me. I just ignored him and proceeded to finish the round.
Yeah stuff so obvious like that I ignore. But I was referring more on drills and padwork. I guess it depends on the gym too, if its a huge one mixed with alot of recreational ones, you'll get those types

Yes, I recommend The Infowars Life Silver Bullet Colloidal Silver to cancer patients and the Bernie Maddoff investment portfolio to retirees!

3f4.gif

For example in the gym. I sometimes see these guys who obviously have no idea what they're doing and I wonder if I should help them. Today I saw this skinny older looking guy who was benching 40kg with bad form and very little range of motion. I don't think he'll get stronger and he'll likely end up with joint problems. At the very least it just seems like a waste of time for him to do such shitty exercises. I wondered if I should give him some advice but I'm not a qualified trainer and I don't want to be the asshole who gives unsolicited advice to people minding their own business.

I also think about this when I see foreign tourists who look lost. If they ask me for help, I'll gladly help them but I don't want to assume they're lost because they of the way they look. When I was in the states I had people offer me help probably because I'm asian in a town of white people, even though I've been living there for a few years already. I appreciated the gesture but it sometimes got annoying when people just assume shit about you.

I have a friend who always gives unsolicited life advice to people even if nobody asked for it. Shit gets annoying

Do you give advice/help to people even if they don't ask for it?

I typically would only give that kind of advice to family members. However, in your specific situation, I might gauge it on whether or not the person looks like they might be receptive to that kind of advice. If you are nice about it, and politely ask if you could show them something first, they might appreciate it. If you're condescending and prideful about it, they might just resent the shit out of you for it.

I do in the gym but to not insult someone i usually just talk to them casually first to see if they are open to advice, tell them my history in boxing to open them up a lil bit and move forward

Video tape them, and maybe it will go viral.

Generally, only help if they ask for it. These people are grown adults and can ask for help.

If it's something that I'm knowledgeable about and the person looks confused or hesitant, I may offer help/advice. If they're going about their merry way doing something wrong, I'll mind my own business.

That's assuming this is a stranger. If it's my friend, I'll tell them they're wrong whether they like it or not possibly even if they aren't wrong.

I tend to leave people alone. I tend to be left alone.

If someone asks for my advice, I give it. If not, I shut up.

Interesting that you bring up being in the gym.

I used to work as a personal trainer and I was told by my boss that if we saw someone using bad form, then we were to correct it and then use that as a sales pitch to become their trainer for hire.

I didn't get too many clients.

I just don't see myself interrupting a stranger while he has his headphone on to remind him that he should bring the bar in front of his neck, not behind his neck, while doing lat-pulldowns.

I tend to leave people alone. I tend to be left alone.

If someone asks for my advice, I give it. If not, I shut up.

Interesting that you bring up being in the gym.

I used to work as a personal trainer and I was told by my boss that if we saw someone using bad form, then we were to correct it and then use that as a sales pitch to become their trainer for hire.

I didn't get too many clients.

I just don't see myself interrupting a stranger while he has his headphone on to remind him that he should bring the bar in front of his neck, not behind his neck, while doing lat-pulldowns.

There are personal trainers walking around. I don't get why they don't go around correcting people's form.

I often offer help, unsolicited. But i do keep in mind not to go overboard. I dont mind offering help for directions or lifting things.

Not anymore. No point, people dont listen, will do what they want, and pretty much only listen to what they want to hear.....

Back