Do you get tired of hunting for new music/new favorite artists?

Discussion in 'Music Discussion (BAM'S Bieberverse)' started by loisestrad, May 8, 2018.

1. loisestrad

loisestrad Gold Belt Platinum Member

I was always into discovering new music, but the last few years I've found myself not doing that much. Now I basically just keep track of when the artists I already like, release new stuff, and not much else.

I kinda think it's bound to happen - at a certain age you know what you like and what you don't like - but at the same time I hate it that my curiosity is fading away.

I guess it's called getting old. And slowly dying.

fortheo and ssBaldy like this.
  2. Rvd Slmr

Rvd Slmr Red Belt

You'll get tired of looking for artists of the same genre, because you'll just end-up looking for lesser versions of what you already know and like. Finding new styles to discover from scratch will do wonder to your curiosity though.

I've explored black metal to the point I used to buy tapes from random Eastern European bands (not even the good ones), and eventually got bored and saturated. I mostly got back to the same old albums anyway. But getting later into Krautrock or Industrial music gave me plenty fantastic albums to discover, it reignited everything.

Festivals are also golden opportunities to get your ass kick by bands you've underestimated or never even heard of. For instance I never really paid attention to Chelsea Wolfe until I saw her at Roadburn.

3. Seano

Seano Hands of bone

I don't usually search for new music. sometimes I'll hear a song on the radio or on this forum etc and I'll check out the artist or I look at the related vids on youtube videos.

I don't hear much modern music that I like very much.

Halge and loisestrad like this.
  4. KYS

KYS Silver Belt Banned

You are dying, that’s it.

For me it’s the opposite way. I see an LP I like, give it a listen on YT and buy it if I‘m sure I will listen the shit out of it.

loisestrad likes this.
  5. AGGAMEMNON66

AGGAMEMNON66 -----------Villain-----------

Youtube makes it alot easier imo. So, no.

Zer likes this.
  6. LEWIS540

LEWIS540 .

Stopped listening to new music around 2005, tbh.

7. Schoolboy Q

Schoolboy Q Red Belt

Spotify and YouTube will usually keep me up to date on new jams

8. Jimmy Jazz

Jimmy Jazz Black Belt

yeah sometimes. not like I used to tho.

9. Eazy123

Eazy123 Black Belt

SoundCloud helps me with that. Some of the shit people make in their bedroom studios is actually better than a lot of the commercial stuff.

10. Halge

Halge Silver Belt

Nah. Senility makes it a moot point. Once I get to track 9 on Jethro Tull's Heavy Horses album I've forgotten what track 1 sounds like. I basically get by on a handful of folk songs about farm animals.

Seriously though, I don't really have to look for new good music per se. I'm still discovering good songs from the 1950-1980's.
    Like this gem I found yesterday:

11. Kingz

Kingz Gold Belt

I still look for stuff that i haven’t heard before. It doesn’t have to be new just new to you. You can go down rabbit holes of so many eras that you can find stuff that suits you but isn’t readily available for those that don’t look. There are still many unturned stones for everybody from a time music was good.

The quest to stay up to date with new artist, trends, genres is something that fades with age...or in my case much earlier in life. A big fan of 90s music, I decided that the best path as a music lover was searching backwards and I’m still discovering great stuff from 60s,70s, 80s,90s...or even further back than that.

But yeah, if an artist/group weren’t good before 2005 there is a good chance I don’t give a fuck about them and I’m not looking for them.

Nameless Ghoul likes this.
  12. ArchGoat

ArchGoat Invoker

Never.

I'm constantly looking for new stuff to listen to. I really hate it when I discover a band and realize wow this is amazing why didn't I discover this sooner !!! It happens all the time....

Wether it be some new album from a band or an old gem like a band that released one album in the 80s or 90s and split up or never released anything after one demo. I always keep an open mind

13. Senzo Tanaka

Senzo Tanaka Silver Belt

Nope. Always on the look up for new bands. There's nothing more satisfying than discovering a band, going through their catalog and their songs becoming part of your life.

Sano and Nameless Ghoul like this.
  14. TankAbbott4Eva

TankAbbott4Eva Red Belt

I probably only discover one or two new bands a year that I really like. I never really shed bands that I listen to (Korn are one exception I can think of). This year's band are Psycroptic, who knows if there'll be another one?

ArchGoat likes this.
  15. ssBaldy

ssBaldy Russian belt

very small percentage of new music fits my taste. probably last really new band I liked was Royal Blood, I discovered some old ass bands I was not into before, but that doesn't count as new music.

ArchGoat likes this.
  16. MoparOrNoCar

MoparOrNoCar Brown Belt

It means you're getting older and the talk radio era of your life is just around the corner.

Sano and Luminosity like this.
  17. Zer

Zer Gold Belt

This

I just got my channels that I check in on every couple weeks and rip anything I like

ArchGoat likes this.
  18. Satanical Eve

Satanical Eve Cro Cop's Left Leg Platinum Member

If I stopped looking for new music I wouldn't have broaden my musical horizons and also stifled my playing ability (I play the guitar and keyboards).

19. Fugitive Pete

Fugitive Pete Orange Belt

I find gems every now and then. rateyourmusic is a great source for discovering new music. There's no shortage of hip hop and extreme metal around, and usually people who enjoy that kind of music don't mind the repetition.

I think the problem is is that most if not all music has been done before and in most cases, done better.

20. sh1tehawke

sh1tehawke Purple Belt

Just listened to this and it has the lyric "the ecstasy of battle takes me where the falcons fly."

Lmao.

What an awesome lyric.

ArchGoat and Halge like this.