Do you fix your own car?

Yes I do all my own repairs on cars, motorcycle and such.

Also most home and other repairs.

I have all my life.

I suck at mechanics. Never been good. I can do the basics like oil change and tire change and lights/battery. Got lots of friends tho that do know how to do the big stuff. Shops are a last resort.

I've done break pads and rotors, which is really simple. Also an alternator, with the help of a buddy - which was also very easy. It seems like cars are always being made to be less accessible and easy to work on, these days. Last one I did anything to was my old 99 Pathfinder.

Out of the last 5 times something got fucked in my car probably twice I was able to fix it.

Yeah with the amount of videos on youtube you can do a search and sometimes you can find exactly whats wrong... Im not poor but if I can save some bucks in doing it myself, fuck yeah I'll do it!

There is some sense of pride too in fixing your own car

No.

Kinda wish I liked that type of activity, but then I realize I hate it and go back to doing other things.

Only things I won’t do is rebuild an automatic transmission. There’s a reason why there’s shops that only work on transmissions.

I have no mechanical experience but with the amount of videos on youtube I will now try do most things on my car myself.

I was to scared to try anything but the amount of money garages charge these days is ridiculous. The mark up on parts is shocking and they put the cheapest brands in.

The last straw was when they tried to charge me over 300 quid for brake pads and discs. So I watched a video and did them my self. All went well and I couldnt believe how simple it was to do.

Last week I replaced the combination stalk as the wipers had stopped working.

Just failed my MOT today, 2 suspension arms need replaced. Out of curiosity I asked the garage to price up the work and they wanted £380. Got the parts my self for £130 and am going to attempt them tomorrow.

Yes I sound poor, but I refuse to give away money.

If you have to mess with coil springs, be fucking careful. I can’t stress that enough. They’re really dangerous if you don’t know what you’re doing. They will kill you.

Most stuff I do myself. Most stuff really isn't that hard to do honestly. Things like brakes anyone should be able to do. It is simple, it doesn't take a long time, and ya might save yourself a grand.

It depends on what the job is. Brakes, batteries, TPS sensors, fuel pumps, or water pumps are things I still tackle. I've built cars like 3 Foxbody Mustangs, 2 G-body Monte Carlos and a '71 Monte, and messed with other stuff. I've had nitrous, supercharged, and now a turbo car that I've done little work to as I bought it with a turbo kit on the pretty much stock car. It was easier being over or under a car when I was in my 20's.

I have a friend at work who was a General Motors Master Tech for 20+ years and grew up on a farm. He can weld, do paint and body, and has a lift and 80K worth of tools at his house. When my Trans Am gets the new engine / tranny / turbo combo it will be on his lift with him doing the majority of the work as I have to beg him to take money, he is one of the best techs I've ever known, and he does the work in 1/2 the time I can.

No, I don't know shit about cars. I'll try to find an acquaintance to do the work if I can, like when my power steering went out. got that done for less than half of what a mechanic would charge. I don't really have any skill whatsoever with mechanical things, the odds are way too high I'd fuck something up and make it even more expensive to fix.

The amount they charge to install an 02 sensor is crazy. The tool to do it cost 10 pound maybe less on ebay. Then just unclip the other end and install the new one. 10 minute job.
That's if you can get to the motherfucker. They put those in some god awful spots on some cars.

I used to do a lot more when I had my friends lift r dad's ramps. I do a tiny bit here and there. Planning on doing more in future. I need to buy some ramps and jack stands. It's worth the savings. I spent 30 minutes changing my spark plugs a few weeks ago and saved it least $100. And I could do it faster next time.

I know how to put air in my tires. And gasoline in the gas tank. That’s about it.

if I have the tools I typically do it myself.

Not too long ago, I had a flat, and had to remove, and then install the donut. I have replaced light headlights, windshield wipers, and batteries.
This is about my level of expertise.

If it's a real part chances are I'm having a real mechanic do the work.

I have no mechanical experience but with the amount of videos on youtube I will now try do most things on my car myself.

I was to scared to try anything but the amount of money garages charge these days is ridiculous. The mark up on parts is shocking and they put the cheapest brands in.

The last straw was when they tried to charge me over 300 quid for brake pads and discs. So I watched a video and did them my self. All went well and I couldnt believe how simple it was to do.

Last week I replaced the combination stalk as the wipers had stopped working.

Just failed my MOT today, 2 suspension arms need replaced. Out of curiosity I asked the garage to price up the work and they wanted £380. Got the parts my self for £130 and am going to attempt them tomorrow.

Yes I sound poor, but I refuse to give away money.
Well done dude,this is good to read

Yes, in the 80,s when they where fixable..

Bought this after driving nissans for years I also worked at the Nissan plant. The frames are bad so Toyota replaced that and now the timing cover leaks do to a motor defect and I have to take the whole front of the motor off. Piss on Toyota I just ride my damn bike.

I just did my struts yesterday. A month ago I did my bearings, rotars and brakes.

Last thing I paid a shop to do was my calipers because its a pain jacking and bleeding the lines for me.

My dad used to be a mechanic back in the day so we usually work on our cars together.

Back