Do you find it hard to enjoy a celebrity when you find out they are a scientologist?

Hugh B. Urban, professor of religious studies in the Department of Comparative Studies at Ohio State University said about Scientology's appeal to celebrities in an interview for Beliefnet.com:

"But then I think the reason that celebrities would be interested is because it's a religion that fits pretty well with a celebrity kind of personality. It's very individualistic. It celebrates your individual identity as ultimately divine. It claims to give you ultimate power over your own mind, self, destiny, so I think it fits well with an actor personality. And then the wealth question: These aren't people who need more wealth, but what they do need, or often want at least, is some kind of spiritual validation for their wealth and lifestyle, and Scientology is a religion that says it's OK to be wealthy, it's OK to be famous, in fact, that's a sign of your spiritual development. So it kind of is a spiritual validation for that kind of lifestyle."

That's an interesting quote

I think less of them as people yeah. As artists it doesn't change my opinion of them. I watched Edge of Tomorrow and liked it and I liked Cruise in it. I didn't think about anything other than his performance.

Chick Corea is the greatest living Jazz Pianist IMO, I consider him a genius. He's been a Scientologist since the late 60s, and sometimes I think about that and have trouble reconciling my admiration for his musicianship with my opinions on the shady cult he's a part of.

Last edited:
Its like worse than being a goddamned commie

Diarrhea, by L. Ron Hubbard

There are worse religions and no I don't care what faith an actor is.

I think it's weird that they belong to a cult, but the only ones that affect my enjoying their movies are Tom Cruise and Will Smith, due to their erratic behavior. I never hear Ribisi talk about it or act like a douche in public, so i don't really think about it when i see him in a film. Cruise on the other hand...i just can't take him seriously anymore. And i liked a couple of Smith's films, but some of his comments and his queefy kid just made me not want to watch any new film he's in (except Suicide Squad.)

No im here to see a celeb preform in their field of art . Who gives a fuck about their life outside of that

I tend to avoid their stuff similar to how I avoid the flat earth retards.

I mean I'm into weird shit and all that, but not braindead cult weird shit.

I mean I hear that and all...

but..

ITS FUCKIN SCIENTOLOGY
GTFO

GTFOH

Laura Prepon is a dime piece and seems like shed knife a bitch who was into that dumb shit,but shes into it wtf
I was a little sad when I discovered Prepon was into that nonsense, but living in the UK it's not something we are really that exposed to,I really couldn't tell you anything about it,besides we have our problems with cultish religion,if you catch my drift.

For me,hearing a celeb I have time for,express crazy liberal views,makes me sadder than anything Tom Cruise could do or say.

I dont care. every religion is just as stupid as the last one... noahs ark and a talking snake is just as dumb as anything scientologist put out.... people believe in fairy tails but if they do good movies or tv I dont care... doesnt impact my life at all

When Leah Remini was a part of it, it was a cult. Now that she's sooooo against it, it kind of looks good.

I don't care for the politics, philosophy or religion of actors.

The art they produce is the only matter of any import.

Their entire education precludes any serious thought, why would I place any weight in what they have to say outside of their work.

Oh, is that "she'd"... I read like it was spelled, shed. Like the little building and had no idea what you're talking about.

That should be a new phrase around here: "shed knife". Not sure what the definition should be, but something funny maybe.

I always found most of those involved to be very strange before finding out they are Scientologists. Travolta, Cruise, Alley, Bell, Elfman, Prepon and Ribisi all seemed to be mentally unstable to me.

never had much of an urge to enjoy Tom Cruise and TBH I don't think he'd let me anyway.

It is probably a career move for some.

I don't think Scientology is anymore silly than any of the other religions other religions. It is just much newer and the author and design of it is known, in this case a sci-fi writer. Does anyone really believe they are going to get 72 virgins or Noah built an ark or there angels and demons that make people do good and bad things or that people can be possessed?

Why do you care about what religion some actor is?
As long as they aren't a pedo, or killing someone, i don't care what they do. Someone believing in something different from what I believe isn't going to stop me from enjoying a good product they created

Back