Do you feel weird about adults who are dependant on their parents?

Kids of rich successful parents are usually the biggest losers.

I couldn't imagine living nearly 33%+ of my expected life span dependent on my parents.

Can't really judge people who do unless they just are completely useless and never leave the nest because they just don't want to put effort in.

But it's really not a massive undertaking to be able to be financially independent, despite the rhetoric some would have you believe (unless you come from gutter trash upbringing)

I have three friends in Hawaii that still with their parents. They're all Asian in their late 30's. It's mostly prevalent in Chinese and Philippinian families. @loyalyolayal @Pugilistic

Up to your 30s is a pretty ridiculous, but it's probably a decent trade-off until early to mid 20s.

It's seems ridiculous but the other way of looking at it is you can get a ridiculous headstart on your savings and financial situation. I know someone who lived at home until 32 and moved out when he married his girlfriend. At that point he had $200k saved. By 40 he owned a very nice home with no mortgage and very good retirement savings. I'm not saying thats the ideal way to go but if your willing to do it you can get some major benefits.

When they were young the boomers got away with leaving a lot earlier because they didn't need extensive schooling to be competitive in the workplace, employers would hire them with high school diplomas and allow them to build their expertise entirely on the job. And for the boomers that did go to university, the cost was ridiculously smaller compared to today, they could pay it off easily. Completely impossible these days.

Yep, prosperity directly coordinates with the age people leave home. More young adults are living with their parents over any time since the great depression which is directly tied to the economy.

I have three friends in Hawaii that still with their parents. They're all Asian in their late 30's. It's mostly prevalent in Chinese and Philippinian families. @loyalyolayal @Pugilistic
I wish I did that but I already have 2 kids before I finished college. I hit the ground running aside from running a karaoke bar and taking any paid gigs available.

<Fedor23>

But it's really not a massive undertaking to be able to be financially independent, despite the rhetoric some would have you believe (unless you come from gutter trash upbringing)

It's not because lets face it....we have it the easiest of any generation of humans ever with safety nets all over the place. If you left your home in the 1800s at 18 to come to America to find work you were a badass. Today leaving home at 18 means running up a large University loan and after that you have the safety net of credit cards to allow you to survive via debt and you never have to worry about things like starving to death. Plenty of first world countries have free health care..etc. It's very easy to be independent in todays world.

I care about a persons actions.
I care if a person is honest, good to others, respectful of others.. etc.

I dont give a fuck if such person is lucky enough to have parents that help or not. Thats this persons problem and it doesnt affect me at all.

Yeah, I think it's weird. If you have no ambition to make your own way in life so be it. I've worked since age 16. I left home at 19. I love my family, they gave me a great childhood and are still huge in my life but I can't imagine what I would have missed out on if I stayed at home through my 20's and 30's.

Back