Do you feel weird about adults who are dependant on their parents?

i went away to school at 18 never moved back. I worked full time during school to pay bills and have a place in the city. I could have had it easier had I stayed home but I was never a mooch nor lazy. Those were amazing times that taught me more than school ever could. When I got married my wife and I split an apartment and were able to save enough to buy a house a few years later. If you have extenuating circumstances do what you must. But if you just stay there bc you are a lazy loser well than that’s your answer.

House, wife, career, left Home at a young age. This guy did everything on his own.

This should be a poll.

Do you rather leave house at 18 and be on your full of debt or stay with mommy until 30 or so, save enough money to buy your own house before moving out?

The former is cool but once you hit 30 and you realized you accomplished nothing in life and most likely nothing else for the next 10 years because you don't any savings. I rather stick with my family for a few more years to get ahead in life. I can be just as independent but with much more money and my own house.

Lol, dude. You can do both if you’re smart or talented.

I left Home when I was 19 and knocked up a chick when I was 21. I own a Condo already and I’m buying a second one in March.

It gives you a lot more pride to accomplish things on your own without help.

Also, women don’t want to have sex with guys in their mid 20s who live with their moms.

I moved out at 17, came back at 21 for a few months, and I've been on my own ever since.

Still, I've had to ask my mother for help paying bills many times over the years.

Maybe stop worrying about other people's problems and judging them like some shitty sherdog fuck and just enjoy your life/ success. ...

I moved out when I was 19. I had friend who moved out when he was 28. He has a house, $, and college degree and his parents pay for him.

I don't. I struggle. However my family wouldn't allow that like his.

I tend not to sit in judgement of other people and their lives.

House, wife, career, left Home at a young age. This guy did everything on his own.

I left Home when I was 19 and knocked up a chick when I was 21. I own a Condo already and I’m buying a second one in March.

Also, women don’t want to have sex with guys in their mid 20s who live with their moms.
You would've been had that 2nd condo and even a third one if you waited until you have your first condo before moving. But sounds like you're living in a cheaper part of the world. Hard to imagine someone in CA or NY doing that.

You don't know enough women.

It's only unusual for the people from the Anglo background (North Americans, Britain and Australia).

Pretty normal for the rest of the world, people don't mind because they have strong traditional family values rooted in their culture unlike the Anglos.
ZING!

Depends on the situation. It is increasingly common here in Australia as the baby boomers have ridden the property price explosion to relative net wealth. With most entry level property in Australia being half a million plus, it makes it very difficult to get into the property market.

Personally, I am back living with my folks as I am building another investment property, and it currently suits all of us. I live with them pretty much rent free, but pay groceries and utilities; and help around the house. The house has a seperate dwelling (called a granny flat in Australia) so we keep pretty separate.

They have a huge house and acreage which I can help my dad maintain. They hit the road in their caravan 4 months of the year, so I look after the place in their abscence.

Not having outgoings means I can make real early inroads into the new debt I have for my investment property. Anyone who understands compound interest understands the quantum of these savings and the effect on the final term of the repayment.

It has been a pain in the ass a few times, but moving out at 19 has helped a shitload.

You would've been had that 2nd condo and even a third one if you waited until you have your first condo before moving. But sounds like you're living in a cheaper part of the world. Hard to imagine someone in CA or NY doing that.

I live in Toronto. Not as expensive as CA or NY but still pretty expensive.

You’re absolutely right, I would have been further ahead if I’d stayed home, but then I wouldn’t have the pride of my own accomplishments.

I could even have stayed home and waited for my parents to die and just inherit their million dollar house, but it would have been empty to me.

Being out in the real world, winning and losing with your own intelligence and skill is what life is about.

Yeah. My buddy is 34, works at a hospital as a room cleaner, makes good money and lives with his parents. He has tons of disposable money and even bought Kanye's god awful sneakers for like $400. He dresses like hes a GQ model and has money to go out all the time. Im scrimping for every dollar and this dude is living it up. But....he cant bring girls over his pad so his game is pretty weak as far as that goes.

Depends on the situation. It is increasingly common here in Australia as the baby boomers have ridden the property price explosion to relative net wealth. With most entry level property in Australia being half a million plus, it makes it very difficult to get into the property market.

Personally, I am back living with my folks as I am building another investment property, and it currently suits all of us. I live with them pretty much rent free, but pay groceries and utilities; and help around the house. The house has a seperate dwelling (called a granny flat in Australia) so we keep pretty separate.

They have a huge house and acreage which I can help my dad maintain. They hit the road in their caravan 4 months of the year, so I look after the place in their abscence.

Not having outgoings means I can make real early inroads into the new debt I have for my investment property. Anyone who understands compound interest understands the quantum of these savings and the effect on the final term of the repayment.

This is different then the guy that took the path of least resistance and lives in his Moms basement and still has her cook and do his laundry because he is a loser.

Yeah. My buddy is 34, works at a hospital as a room cleaner, makes good money and lives with his parents. He has tons of disposable money and even bought Kanye's god awful sneakers for like $400. He dresses like hes a GQ model and has money to go out all the time. Im scrimping for every dollar and this dude is living it up. But....he cant bring girls over his pad so his game is pretty weak as far as that goes.

It’s called self respect and he has none. On Long Island we see this with cars. A guy in his 20s goes out a buys a cool car for big bucks but still lives at home with his mommy.

I don't really care (as noted it's none of my business) however I was late to leave home. Couldn't get a job in my field after getting my degree, then worked a shitty job that couldn't pay rent for a few years. When I got my current job I was basically out the door as soon as my probationary period was over.

Whereas my younger sister moved out during university and had to move back several times for financial reasons.

I think a lot of holier than thou people don't understand the current economic situation, and a lot of socially and developmentally stunted people are mooching off their loving folks. It goes both ways.

Nope. Just envious. Donald Trump got to where he is because of his father. Same for Ivanka, Donald Jr, and Jared Kushner. And none of them have any shame. So why should we.

If getting a leg up on everyone with the help of family is good enough for the oligarchs, than why should we have any problem. This notion of moving out at 18-22 and never depending on your parents again is so outmoded. Life is tough, and short. Take any advantage that you can get.

(I wish I had family I could borrow a million dollars from. Or help me get me a job in film/TV. But as Garth Brooks once sang, all my peoples, as it were, are from "low places.")

The moving to opposite ends of the country or even the world is odd AF to me though since i came from a traditional mediterranean upbringing where family is a huge deal

Haven't ever lived more than an hour away from the family i like.

Spend as much time as possible with your parents in their later years. You'll regret it if you don't and that regret will haunt you for the rest of your life.
Bullshit.

If your parents are Cunts feel free to ignore them until they die... you wont regret shit.

Up to your 30s is a pretty ridiculous, but it's probably a decent trade-off until early to mid 20s. When they were young the boomers got away with leaving a lot earlier because they didn't need extensive schooling to be competitive in the workplace, employers would hire them with high school diplomas and allow them to build their expertise entirely on the job. And for the boomers that did go to university, the cost was ridiculously smaller compared to today, they could pay it off easily. Completely impossible these days.

Back