Do you even armbar bro?

Calibur

Jiu Jitsu Snob
@red
Reaction score
....from guard.

This has been my holy grail and the way I do it is pretty old school. Fedor style. The armbar where the foot is posted on the hip is the one I see taught the most often, but even the people who teach it don't get it on people very often.

How often do you get the armbar from guard?
How long did it take you to get it on your peers?
What set backs have you had performing the move live?

I suck with the old school style armbar from guard. I can get it open guard style occasionally. As a matter of fact I haven't caught anyone in an old school arm bar from guard in a long time.

I mean if I move my body to the side and trap your elbow with my hip I like to catch a shoulder or key lock from closed guard. So I've done that. I guess you can transition to an armbar from there. I'm going to try it tonight doing rounds.

I'd be really interested to see what people have to say about this. I catch the occasional armbar from guard but it tends to be mostly when someone is trying to stack me. I have difficulty trying to set up the armbar from closed guard. I can't seem to trap the shoulder with my knee well enough to prevent them from pulling out of it.

I almost never get the armbar from closed guard—unless you count the triangle armbar as an armbar from guard.
I sometimes get it from the arm across/side guard position, when the guy tries to posture.

My closed guard game revolves around the triangle, or getting the arm to the side.

I haven't been playing closed guard much as of late, I've been trying to open and work.

I actually do it explosively that I end up in the bottom on the other side. Against whitebelts of course.

I constantly hit the inversion to Russian armbar, but almost never the classic near side armbar against the stack.

I feel like the overhook armbar has a shorter 'access path' and affords more control (and so easier to pull off at higher levels).

The only time I get the armbar is off a failed triangle, in fact I rarely even attempt to finish the triangle and only use the triangle grip to get the armbar... I end up with a modified armbar with both feet across partners face/neck.

I feel like the overhook armbar has a shorter 'access path' and affords more control (and so easier to pull off at higher levels).

I thought I knew what you were talking about till I saw the video.

That moves great but I usually swing over completely for a rolling armbar, finishing on my back.

When the guy on top is really active, it's tough to have time to trap the arm and do the move, he's more likely to have time to get away.

The few times I managed it was just after a nice scramble that ended up with him being in my closed guard, it's more likely that they will stay on their knees with their arms on your chest when they're exhausted.

I usually try to get an hold of the two arms so at least if he gets out I can try an omoplata and get the sub or a decent position afterwards.

It's a big part of my game these days,

I try and keep them ultra tight to me, holding the back of the head..

I drill it a lot so it comes on very fast.

Hmm. I never get it the traditional way from closed guard. The only times I really get it from bottom are when someone is passing and I get the kimura grip and spin around and throw a leg over their face and finish it. Either that or I sometimes I get them when people over expose their arms on reaching into my collars for maybe a baseball choke and they knee slice pass. Sometimes I throw the hips up and get the armbar there. Or sometimes I'm able to get a good collar tie on the feet and pull into an armbar. I also do the Marcelo style shotgun/power armbar a lot from butterfly guard.

Good post. I'm a brown belt and I was recently thinking that when I started training I could never imagine someone being a black belt without a decent classic armbar from closed guard. So this is something I'm trying to get better at.

The only time I get the armbar is off a failed triangle, in fact I rarely even attempt to finish the triangle and only use the triangle grip to get the armbar... I end up with a modified armbar with both feet across partners face/neck.
You and Rafa Mendes both. Anytime that guy goes for a triangle he usually just takes the arm and rips it. It's the opposite with me. Anytime I get a triangle I try really hard to make sure I finish the triangle. I only take the arm if I'm really gassed and/or frustrated.

Came in to post this, although I do try to finish the triangle. .

I have to admit my armbar from guard sucks. I can demo it just fine but I rarely ever hit it in sparring. But I'm a Roy Nelson type build (aka fat guy who trains) so a lot of times they just end up getting the sweep.

I get it a lot, mostly from Roger-style arm-drag-to-back-take attacks. It didn't start working for me until purple belt. I'll probably have to stop, though, because now I have nagging neck pain from what I assume is a herniated disc.

I never get this the traditional way. Nor do I ever see anybody else. Then again I don't have legs like Roger Gracie. I'm not short, but definitely not long-legged or super flexible.

I have to admit my armbar from guard sucks. I can demo it just fine but I rarely ever hit it in sparring. But I'm a Roy Nelson type build (aka fat guy who trains) so a lot of times they just end up getting the sweep.

I have the same problem. I'm short and chubby and I think my gut gets in the way. I can demonstrate arm bar from guard fine but in sparring I have yet to pull it off. I can't break my opponent posture that easily.

I get it a lot, mostly from Roger-style arm-drag-to-back-take attacks. It didn't start working for me until purple belt. I'll probably have to stop, though, because now I have nagging neck pain from what I assume is a herniated disc.

That is a major reason why I never use it.

Submissions where the primary defense involves smash-stacking you are not, in the long run, smart IMO, no matter how effective they can be.

You need to make a mayor fuck up to get armbared from the guard, at least no gi...

That is a major reason why I never use it.

Submissions where the primary defense involves smash-stacking you are not, in the long run, smart IMO, no matter how effective they can be.

Exactly! Armbars are my go-to submission right now, but I hit them all from mount (and variations). From closed guard I mostly go for sweeps, no triangles, no armbars. I've seen too many guys with back injuries, and I don't want any of that. I don't care how old school they are, one look at Rickson having trouble walking is enough to make me happy with my choice.

Back