Do you enjoy sci-fi and fantasy books and movies?

You know the rules of Westeros????

But the real answer is you probably have a very shitty imagination.
True. I could watch only 10 minutes of breaking down "Cheetah vs monkey", but can endure 3 hours of Condit vs Diaz analysis.

you are so ignorant of fantasy tropes that you thought a dragon was a dinosaur?

Were you homeschooled?

you are so ignorant of fantasy tropes that you thought a dragon was a dinosaur?

Were you homeschooled?
It wasn't a motorcycle, so I didn't notice the details. Dragon would have been completely acceptable in my quest for reality.

True. I could watch only 10 minutes of breaking down "Cheetah vs monkey", but can endure 3 hours of Condit vs Diaz analysis.

yeah, i mean not everyone is into fantasy of any sort.
but movies like Reservoir Dogs and shit are based in reality and are good.

For "realistic" fantasy, try Man Bites Dog and Salo.
Ha!

yeah, i mean not everyone is into fantasy of any sort.
but movies like Reservoir Dogs and shit are based in reality and are good.

For "realistic" fantasy, try Man Bites Dog and Salo.
Ha!
thanks....I think it starts when you're young. And just to be clear, I'm not denigrating those who enjoy sci-fi literature and movies. I was in the bookstore recently and it was all fantasy stuff....just ranting, I guess.

I love my science fiction. There's a lot of great stuff pushing technological concepts rather than having aliens and shit running around firing lasers, but a lot of it hasn't been adapted to film or TV. If you're down for dat reading check out William Gibson and Richard K Morgan. They both got books that are being adapted to the screen (Gibson's Neuromancer is a classic that apparently just got greenlit for a movie adaptation, and Morgan's Altered Carbon is being made into a Netflix series - both those books are great introductions into the cyberpunk subgenre).

I need to read more of Gibson. As for for Morgan, I haven't read Altered Carbon yet, which he's mostly known for, but the grim dark fantasy trilogy he wrote is pretty awesome. Main character is this jaded, washed up gay warrior type who was once a bit of a hero.

Am I the only one who can't quite suspend the disbelief long enough to involve myself in this genre? I was watching GOT for the first time today and liking it until a dinosaur ran past the two characters. I'm probably being judgmental, but in the past I viewed sci-fi fans as not having an actual life of their own...escapism, if you will.

If it couldn't possibly happen, I have no interest. Even if it's well produced, I just cannot get into it. I love period pieces, but it has to be potentially realistic. What am i missing?

Both can of course appeal to people concerned more with the fine details rather than the quality of the whole such as your stereotypical trekkies arguing over some minor detail.

A lot of the time though I'd say the big appeal of sci fi and fantasy is that it allows you to throw more dramatic aspects of a story into sharper relief by taking it out of a more complex real world setting and externalising elements of it more effectively.

If your being unkind as well perhaps part of the appeal to men is that it allows them to pretend to themselves and others there not watching/reading drama?

Am I the only one who can't quite suspend the disbelief long enough to involve myself in this genre? I was watching GOT for the first time today and liking it until a dinosaur ran past the two characters. I'm probably being judgmental, but in the past I viewed sci-fi fans as not having an actual life of their own...escapism, if you will.

If it couldn't possibly happen, I have no interest. Even if it's well produced, I just cannot get into it. I love period pieces, but it has to be potentially realistic. What am i missing?

Fantasy
Dark and gritty without the incest of GOT. Read the first law series by Joe Abercrombie
https://www.joeabercrombie.com/books/

Black and white, good and evil(cleaner/more innocent for lack of a better word/term)
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Gemmell

Plenty of others but they're probably the best starting points

I love sci fi but it falls into way too many writing traps and thus is a huge genre with a lot of garbage.
Some concepts have simply been done to fucking death.
If I never see another sci fi story involving time travel it'd be a start.

Have you read "the first law" by Joe Abercrombie?
Nope. I haven't read a book in years. I tried reading Esslemont's books. I tried...

What's the premise of Joe's books?

Nope. I haven't read a book in years. I tried reading Esslemont's books. I tried...

Mix up violence, compassion, emotions of all types. Honestly buy the first and tell me what you think.

I'm not the person you asked, but here is why I liked Abercrombie's series. For one thing, the fight scenes are riveting. I've never had an author before that drew me in for 40 pages about violence.

But the best thing about the series is the payoff in the end though. If I explained things, it would just ruin it, but the conclusion does a great job of making you reexamine the whole story. I found it to be quite brilliant.

Honestly with books I tend to think fantasy/sci fi is a bit of a love/hate kind of thing, a lot of my favourite books are in those genres(first 3 Dune books, Lord of the Rings, Hitchhikers Guide books, Book of the New Sun) but I also find myself turned off by the majority I read due to the quality of the prose and/or there being dramatically either clichéd or dry.

I must admit I couldn't get though A Game of Thrones for that reason, it just felt like a blander blueprint for the TV show to me, lots of detail yes but presented in a rather straight forward fashion.

The others are all pretty widely known but I would strongly recommend Book of the New Sun, such a great mix of drama, bizarre world building and complex plotting you need to piece together. Its written so well(and not massively long) that having to go though it 2-3 times to pickup on aspects of the plot isn't a negative at all for me.

Last edited:
I love my science fiction. There's a lot of great stuff pushing technological concepts rather than having aliens and shit running around firing lasers, but a lot of it hasn't been adapted to film or TV. If you're down for dat reading check out William Gibson and Richard K Morgan. They both got books that are being adapted to the screen (Gibson's Neuromancer is a classic that apparently just got greenlit for a movie adaptation, and Morgan's Altered Carbon is being made into a Netflix series - both those books are great introductions into the cyberpunk subgenre).

Tim Miller is directing Neuromancer. Dis gun b gud.

Back