Do you enjoy sci-fi and fantasy books and movies?

steve38

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Am I the only one who can't quite suspend the disbelief long enough to involve myself in this genre? I was watching GOT for the first time today and liking it until a dinosaur ran past the two characters. I'm probably being judgmental, but in the past I viewed sci-fi fans as not having an actual life of their own...escapism, if you will.

If it couldn't possibly happen, I have no interest. Even if it's well produced, I just cannot get into it. I love period pieces, but it has to be potentially realistic. What am i missing?

A dinosaur in Games of Thrones? I wanna take a hit of whatever you're smoking.

Even if a movie or book or show is "real," it's still a form of escape. There's really nothing going on more than people like what they like.

Even if a movie or book or show is "real," it's still a form of escape. There's really nothing going on more than people like what they like.
I agree. Poor choice of words on my part, but it seems easier to involve yourself with realistic characters, IMO.

What am i missing?

giphy.gif

I love my science fiction. There's a lot of great stuff pushing technological concepts rather than having aliens and shit running around firing lasers, but a lot of it hasn't been adapted to film or TV. If you're down for dat reading check out William Gibson and Richard K Morgan. They both got books that are being adapted to the screen (Gibson's Neuromancer is a classic that apparently just got greenlit for a movie adaptation, and Morgan's Altered Carbon is being made into a Netflix series - both those books are great introductions into the cyberpunk subgenre).

I like Science Fiction to try to keep somewhat realistic. In a fantasy world I like some basic rules being set up. Game of Thrones is something you need to watch from the beginning to get some context. Even then it is confusing.

Am I the only one who can't quite suspend the disbelief long enough to involve myself in this genre? I was watching GOT for the first time today and liking it until a dinosaur ran past the two characters. I'm probably being judgmental, but in the past I viewed sci-fi fans as not having an actual life of their own...escapism, if you will.

If it couldn't possibly happen, I have no interest. Even if it's well produced, I just cannot get into it. I love period pieces, but it has to be potentially realistic. What am i missing?

Wow. Well, your loss I guess. I love scifi and fantasy.

I love my science fiction. There's a lot of great stuff pushing technological concepts rather than having aliens and shit running around firing lasers, but a lot of it hasn't been adapted to film or TV. If you're down for dat reading check out William Gibson and Richard K Morgan. They both got books that are being adapted to the screen (Gibson's Neuromancer is a classic that apparently just got greenlit for a movie adaptation, and Morgan's Altered Carbon is being made into a Netflix series - both those books are great introductions into the cyberpunk subgenre).
I would enjoy something like that. thanks

I like Science Fiction to try to keep somewhat realistic. In a fantasy world I like some basic rules being set up.
I like this. Sounds silly, but imagination and creativity both need rules and parameters to make it work.

One of my favorite Sci Fi series is Emmanuelle in Space with Krista Allen. I suggest you check it out.

Malazan series > Anything that's been written by man or god's word(allegedly!).

I do you one better, no nudity

Krista Allen is a goddess.

In the series though she is an alien coming to visit Earth and learn about us.

is it really sci-fi when all the hot chicks in the US are (illegal) aliens? lol

Back