Do you drive an automatic or a manual transmission?

Another little perk with the manual is the ability to slow down effectively by downshifting. I drove my old 2500 for 30 miles with a gaping hole in my brake lines strictly by downshifting when I had to slow down . Was is safe or legal ......fuck no , but it worked beautifully. 1st gear in that truck is such a granny gear that you're probably running 3000 rpm at 9-10 mph.

Jesus I hope you rev matched or you would have had more issues then a brake line failure.
<TheWire1>

This is me. People think of automatics as easier, but I learned on manuals and I find it much harder to maintain a constant speed on automatics, particularly at lower speeds. I spend so much time watching my speedometer instead of the road to stick relatively within the law and that can't be safe. No such worries with a manual. Automatics are fine for highway driving, but really, what isn't?

However, I rent, not own, and I do find myself getting stuck with automatics more and more, and getting more and more used to them.

Huh, how is it harder?? Just feather the throttle. Or were you born with a lead right foot? Of course it's easier on the Highway. Let me tell you of a cool feature on most modern cars. it's called cruise control.

Auto. The stick makes it harder for the ladies to lean over and give BJs, and I am a consummate gentleman.

Just get your BF to shift you and the car simultaneously. Double fist it.

Once you get the balance point between clutch and accelerator you can control momentum by using clutch or accelerator without brake. I Am not talking heavy vehicles though, only passenger vehicles /utlities.

You burn up the clutch that way. A clutch isn't designed to slip for more than a couple of seconds.

I, too, hate it when Americans refer to manual transmissions as "standards."

Manuals are obsolete technology. Driving seems to be the only technology where people enjoy doing extra work.

Yeah I'm thinking about doing the 1LE lowering kit, GM strut tower brace and 6-piston brakes eventually. But the software for the mag ride adjustments for the lowering kit haven't been released yet and I am not doing and HPDE days to justify upgrading brakes yet.

It's all just kind of wish-list shit right now, but I doubt my dealership is willing to tune out hill assist and skip shift. I live in truck country, I doubt the GM dealerships around here are performance friendly.

Not sure what you meant by that, but you should always upgrade your brakes first, then worry about the rest. Driving fast 101: To go fast, you must stop fast. Stopping faster means you can go faster. (There are dozens of ways to interpret this. ALL of them are true.)

Not sure what you meant by that, but you should always upgrade your brakes first, then worry about the rest. Driving fast 101: To go fast, you must stop fast. Stopping faster means you can go faster. (There are dozens of ways to interpret this. ALL of them are true.)
I plan to keep the car at factory power levels, the current 4-piston Brembos are adequate for what is essentially a backroads carver.

Manuals are obsolete technology. Driving seems to be the only technology where people enjoy doing extra work.
Not true, sometimes I enjoy cycling a bolt or lever, cocking back a hammer, or just going old school double-action revolver.

First car was a standard. My new car is an auto though. Miss the stick. Unfortunately they don't build Fusions (Falcon, Mondeo for overseas blokes) in Standard configuration anymore.

Its crazy how little sticks are sold in NA. We rarely see sticks go out at the dealership. Only of its a Stang or Focus ST or RS. Which are rare themselves as most old farts who buy a stang buy em auto.

If you don't drive a stick, you aren't dominant @John Wang
why doesnt Ford build a RWD sedan with the Coyote engine? Even Hyundai has a sedan with a 430hp 5.0.

why doesnt Ford build a RWD sedan with the Coyote engine? Even Hyundai has a sedan with a 430hp 5.0.

Maybe they don't see the demand.

While not a RWD sedan the awd Taurus SHO with a tune and bolt ons is a 12 second car. Does low 5's to 60 stock.

Australia has the Falcon XR6 turbo(I6T).

Complete control of what? Not sure my car is going to go veer off the road if I don't manually shift the gears for it.

<LikeReally5>

What do you think? If you aren't in control of what gear/rpm you are in/at would you describe yourself as being in COMPLETE control of your vehicle?

Have you ever driven up incline/declines, passed people, holding power through a turn and getting out quickly, engine braking, etc. All are much better in manual.

Just letting off the accelerator in my car slows me down. So while following other cars it is nice not having to use the brake all the time in mild traffic("extra work").

Last edited:
Jesus I hope you rev matched or you would have had more issues then a brake line failure.
<TheWire1>

I had clamped off the brake line just in front of the hole , so I did have front brakes.....sorta. Fortunately it was a rural drive for the bulk so no sudden stopping or anything , and was able to use the engine to do the bulk of the slowing.

<LikeReally5>

What do you think? If you aren't in control of what gear/rpm you are in/at would you describe yourself as being in COMPLETE control of your vehicle?

Have you ever driven up incline/declines, passed people, holding power through a turn and getting out quickly, engine braking, etc. All are much better in manual.

Just letting off the accelerator in my car slows me down. So while following other cars it is nice not having to use the brake all the time in mild traffic("extra work").

I guess it's just extra work for you if it isn't second nature to you. I've made it this long without driving a manual so learning to do so now would just be a pointless endeavor. But I guess if you did the other way its the same. I never had a problem braking or getting going with an automatic. When I'm stopped at a stop light in the first spot when I get going I usually end up a few car lengths ahead of the person in the other lane.

I made it a point to learn how to drive a manual and i owned one for 3 years but automatic is king for me

I guess it's just extra work for you if it isn't second nature to you. I've made it this long without driving a manual so learning to do so now would just be a pointless endeavor. But I guess if you did the other way its the same. I never had a problem braking or getting going with an automatic. When I'm stopped at a stop light in the first spot when I get going I usually end up a few car lengths ahead of the person in the other lane.
Dude, we get it, you don't like cars and driving is just a chore to you. For some of us, it's more than just a means of getting from one place to another. Why don't you just take the bus, then?

Automatics are a better choice for the people who don't know how to drive a stick. For those of us that do though we get better mpg, control, and lower maintenance.

Back