Do you care who has the title?

Belts mean nothing these days. Conor getting a championship belt for beating Eddie Alvarez and his fans claiming he's truly is the best at 155 shows you how meaningless the belt is, and how weak the champion is.

Having an impressive win streak has a lot more meaning than a belt these days. Consecutive wins, and especially consecutive title defenses are impressive, but holding a belt doesn't mean shit.

Conor is weak as shit for being champ without any other wins at 155. I love Eddie, but his career in the UFC has been a huge letdown.

Bisping is weak as shit, with no credible defenses yet.

To call those two chode lickers "champion" is a disgrace to the belt and everyone else in the division.

It does matter. Why even have a belt then? The belt signifies you are the very best through beating the champion and defending it against any worthy foes.

Only if the title is defended against top contenders frequently.

Absolutely. They need to be entertaining and active.

Or would you rather the UFC just put on exciting fights and guys get paid?

Does it MATTER who the best is?

And I mean it on a personal level.

4M5AX_s-200x150.gif
Really no belts, no ranks, just the UFC putting on exciting fights, how many exciting fighters do you think they have in the UFC or you just gonna get the same guys fighting all the time fighting whatever weight class they want, because it's exciting!

I personally care who's considered the best, I don't care who's most popular

<LordRoose>

It does matter. Why even have a belt then? The belt signifies you are the very best through beating the champion and defending it against any worthy foes.
No it don't. The belt means you have the belt

My dream is that MMA/UFC becomes like the ATP, and starts ranking their athletes based on performance and gives the sport the kind of legitimacy that professional boxing never truly attained.

Insist that title holders face deserving contenders and give fighters a legitimate realistic path towards a shot at a title fight if they keep winning. Save the wildcard "money fights" for situations where one opponent has to withdraw for one reason or another.

You don't defend a title, you refuse to face a no: 1 contender, you're injured and cannot defend your title... you lose your title.

This ^^

Or would you rather the UFC just put on exciting fights and guys get paid?

Does it MATTER who the best is?

And I mean it on a personal level.

The title is just a matter of who fought who at what time.

Say fighter A and fighter B can both win 8\10 fights in their division.

Fighter A wins his first 8 fights in the UFC, he'll be challenging and may win the title. Until of course he meets fighters C and D who both whup his ass.

Fighter B wins 4 in a row, then meets fighters C and D and loses. He then wins another 4 fights in a row. He probably won't ever challenge for a title, despite having the same record and ability as fighter A, who is the champ.

The title is a matter of timing. Who fought who at what time. Nothing more, nothing less to me.

Only the guy who cleans out the division is ever a true champion.

In the long run we'll only remember Champions

How else to know who's best, check Twitter popularity?
Hold a fucking vote?

This sport took a nose dive

Titles don't seem like they matter right now because only the lowest two weight divisions' titles seem legitimate in the male divisions.

HW - Stipe's not defending because of contract dispute
LHW - DC gets handed the title after losing it
MW - No one thinks Bisping is worthy of a title
WW - Woodley's had two incredibly boring and play it safe fights
LW - Conor went off to box and lost
FW - Holloway got the title by beating a guy who was handed the title after losing

No wonder Dana picked necktats to be the next big star, who else they got?

Titles are absolutely necessary to create stars in the sport. How did Conor legitimize his brash trash talk? By winning the title. How did GSP, Silva, and Rousey prove their dominance? By defending the title many times.

Last edited:
It matters for the guys who put their health and livelihood on the line, time and time again, trying to earn their way to the top, prove themselves above their peers, and be awarded the money and accolades their accomplishment and sacrifice deserves. Any champion, no matter how arduous their own rise through the gauntlet of prize fighting, that refuses other fighters, who have earned their own chance to prove themselves, the same opportunity is selfish and cowardly and should be ridiculed as such.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back