Do you believe in "The End of History"?

Islam Imamate

Master of sports in Moderation.
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
Specifically I'm talking about Francis Fukuyama's famous claim at the end of the Cold War that Western style capitalist liberal democracy is the final evolution of human governance and will eventually spread across the entire world.

Even if you don't believe it will spread across the entire world, do you believe that capitalist liberal democracy is the end game government for the countries that currently practice it?

Or do you believe that another system that is currently in existence in theory or practice(Communism, Anarchism, Fascism etc) more closely resembles or is in fact the final form of human governance?

Specifically I'm talking about Francis Fukuyama's famous claim at the end of the Cold War that Western style capitalist liberal democracy is the final evolution of human governance and will eventually spread across the entire world.

Even if you don't believe it will spread across the entire world, do you believe that capitalist liberal democracy is the end game government for the countries that currently practice it?

Or do you believe that another system that is currently in existence in theory or practice(Communism, Anarchism, Fascism etc) more closely resembles or is in fact the final form of human governance?

Good question....

Captain Picard briefly discussed this in "First Contact" of the Star Trek films..

where money and greed were no longer the prime motivators for humanity...I should go find that clip...

to address your question, as long as a government system is imperfect, there will always be someone/some people attempting to improve upon it.

Either capitalism or facism

Nah. I think something eventually will overcome it. It may stil have underpinnings of capitalism but times push for different societies. I think technology will eventually lead us to something different in time. We could be talking a few centuries though.

What ever our Future robot overlords decide.

You can never predict too far into the future. Technology is advancing so quickly, it won't be long before 3d printing at home can produce nearly anything almost instantly and cheaply.

Materials to print with are the foreseeable issue, but who knows what type of matter conversion techniques will be discovered.

If we get star trek-like replicators, @LogicalInsanity 's Picard post won't be far from the truth. Over population and the diseases that come frkm it will probably be the number 1 concern, largely due to hoes on Tinder :D

Technocracy

Good question....

Captain Picard briefly discussed this in "First Contact" of the Star Trek films..

where money and greed were no longer the prime motivators for humanity...I should go find that clip...
Sounds interesting. Sci-fi properties are often known for the technology they imagine but I'm fascinated by the political systems
to address your question, as long as a government system is imperfect, there will always be someone/some people attempting to improve upon it.
But do you think that, despite some modifications here and there, capitalist liberal democracy will more or less exist in its general form as the final stage of human governance? Or could one of these improvements lead to a radical break from liberal democracy?
Nah. I think something eventually will overcome it. It may stil have underpinnings of capitalism but times push for different societies. I think technology will eventually lead us to something different in time. We could be talking a few centuries though.
Personally I'm waiting for the 12th Imam to arrive and bring about the world wide Islamic Revolution
12th-imam-coming-to-town.jpg

chavez-mahdi.png

The people in power will always be corrupted by the power. So any government can and will be corrupted. I think a capitalist republic is the system that allows the citizens the most freedom as long as the government is working the way it's supposed to.

I sometimes think what kind of civilization we would have to have to be represented as "Earth" in a universe where there are a bunch of different alien civilizations who all interact. Obviously we would have to be somewhat homogeneous by then. Mostly the same belief. I couldn't see it working with earth being any more crazy than the US is today.

bfc5d6712592407c578648826c7c469a.gif

Fukuyamas book is complete trash, but it was written during a fortunate moment for him (end of USSR). Regardless, I think that humanity will overcome Late Capitalism and there will undoubtedly be other forms of social organization that will be overcome after it. Humanity is going to be around for a while, in my opinion, and it will only get more complex (bureaucracy wise), fair, free, and equal for all humans.

What's interesting is I think capitalism is forcing countries to become more and more codependent with each other so a shift to a new system almost has to be global to work.

I doubt that the entire world will settle in an universal, stable steady state. The world is too chaotic for that, there will always be change and instability

You can never predict too far into the future. Technology is advancing so quickly, it won't be long before 3d printing at home can produce nearly anything almost instantly and cheaply.

Materials to print with are the foreseeable issue, but who knows what type of matter conversion techniques will be discovered.

If we get star trek-like replicators, @LogicalInsanity 's Picard post won't be far from the truth. Over population and the diseases that come frkm it will probably be the number 1 concern, largely due to hoes on Tinder :D

So Tinder hoes could be the demise of humanity and cause the end of history?
Dang, never saw that one coming.

Anyone who can't see that the forces of globalism and technology will inevitably result in either mass deprivation and violent upheaval or embrace of a post-capitalist economic system simply is not awake.

I mostly go with soft technological determinism for my views on social evolution, so I'd be very surprised if we'd achieved any sort of "final form".
Whether we continue into some sort of automated technocracy, fluid, decentralised direct democracies, libertarian franchises of corporate city states, some sort of post scarcity communist techtopia or a benevolent dictatorship of machine minds is all speculative at this point.
At the moment the technological pressure towards Globalisation is the clearest trend.

What's interesting is I think capitalism is forcing countries to become more and more codependent with each other so a shift to a new system almost has to be global to work.
That's true
I doubt that the entire world will settle in an universal, stable steady state. The world is too chaotic for that, there will always be change and instability
True but certain systems can contain within them a certain amount of instability and change and I'd argue liberal democracy is one of them. Of course it has its limits as well.

I'd like to point you to this new OpEd from Pat Buchanan

Here is an excerpt

According to Freedom House, democracy has been in decline for a dozen years. Less and less do nations look to the world’s greatest democracy, the United States, as a model of the system to best preserve and protect what is most precious to them.

China may be a single-party Communist state that restricts freedom of speech, religion and the press, the defining marks of democracy. Yet Beijing has delivered what makes the Chinese people proud — a superpower nation to rival the mighty United States.

Chinese citizens appear willing to pay, in restricted freedoms, the price of national greatness no modern Chinese generation had ever known.

The same appears true of the Russian people.

http://buchanan.org/blog/is-democracy-on-the-way-down-128573

-

Single party rule works for China, in great part because it is a very homogeneous country. The average Han doesn't seem to bothered with democracy because his/her leadership is advancing their ethnic interests which naturally advances each person's interest too. And their society shuns individualism in favor of collectivism and conformity . Western man is individualist.

In very heterogeneous societies , where there is a lot of bad blood between communities and no community is the clear dominant player, people will vote along tribal lines, which screws over democracy; see Lee Kwan Yu's statement on this.

-

No I do not think Western style democracy will ultimately win out, because I do not believe what works for us will necessarily work for everyone. There is no 1 size fits all. Too much of the old world is illiberal and tribal. You can't have democracy if the masses don't first embrace liberalism and enlightenment. Islam is a formidable barrier to democracy, such that either Islam gives way or Democracy gives way. Look at Egypt, and how they elected that Islamofascist Mursi, which then necessitated the fascist Sisi coming to power. Look at Turkey, the Islamic country held-up by the West as a symbol of Secularism and Islam co-existing. Far too much of the Old World vote along caste, sect, ethnic lines. Block-voting is not uncommon, be it Muslims in India or Ultra-Orthodox in Israel.

If you want a true democracy, the state needs to be secular and the masses liberal. America makes it work because Whites are still the dominant force, and Western Society is liberal and Secular. If Whites start really getting concerned about losing power, they will vote tribal, and then Democracy goes poof. Last election, White tribal consciousness became more mainstream. I think that if you replace Whites with Arabs, Muslims,Chinese,South Asians- America would cease being a liberal tolerant democracy.

True but certain systems can contain within them a certain amount of instability and change and I'd argue liberal democracy is one of them. Of course it has its limits as well.

True. However, Islam will forever be hostile to liberal democracy, and perhaps other religions as well. So you universal order will not be achieved.

Back