Do you believe in Hypnosis?

No.

14uvif.gif

Yes.

Perhaps, but it's not like one or two people were claiming this to me. It was bunch of folks hyping this dude up, because they had been put under, and they had the same description of being lost in time and blacking out.

When you have 20-25 people telling you the same thing, it's hard for me to believe they were all full of the same shit.

Having a few people all agree doesn't mean much to me when there are churches full of people who actively believe in talking in tongues. They would all make the same claim that speaking in tongues is real when it's clearly bullshit. There's plenty of things that people believe in that are clearly bullshit.

Well, that's the most extreme example of hypnotism, and more of a Hollywood representation of the craft. No, I don't believe in total mind control. Putting you in a dreamlike state, to make you open to suggestion, yeah, I think it can be done.

There are also other forms too, like putting you under to jog your memory, and more subtle forms like that, that are totally believable.

It's all a load of crap, most especially stage hypnosis. Medical hypnosis has a few promoters, but it's got not scientific backing. There's nothing to suggest that it's anymore effective than a placebo or suggestions.

In fact, there are two major rewards available for anyone who could prove an actual trance state from hypnosis.

The Amazing Kreskin, who was a famous magician and Mentalist, offered a $100,000 reward to anyone who can show a real trance state.

And of course there was the Amazing James Randi $1,000,000 Challenge for any paranormal proof, which hypnosis was included.

So if it's so and easy to perform then I would have to wonder why nobody wanted to become a millionaire. Hypnosis is nothing more than parlor tricks that require instant stooges.

Nah. It's not like it was being filmed, or anything. He didn't give a shit about stage presence, and the group wasn't carefully selected or anything. He was more concerned with people like me fucking up his show if I chose to clown him, because I wasn't under.

That's because he's good at his job. Mentalists are really good at picking out people that will work with them and people who won't. Clearly there was enough people where he didn't want to be made a fool by someone who wouldn't instant stooge. I'm guessing there was an audience if he was picking people. So of course he cares about his stage presence. If you made him look stupid then you have a room full of people who will spread that around and ruin his reputation.

Hypnosis is trash mentalism and requires an instant stooge, which is an audience member who willingly goes along with the trick out of nowhere. They aren't preselected, they just are willing to play along. He probably kicked you off because he's experienced and knows what to look for.

Again, I'll bet every single person who has ever been "hypnotized" wouldn't have gone along with something dangerous or illegal. And if they wouldn't do that, then I don't see how they are really hypnotized.

I believe in it, but I had a hypnotist who failed to hypnotize me, tell me that only a certain type of mind can actually be put under hypnosis, and I wasn't one of them.

Then again, maybe he was just making excuses for being a shitty hypnotist.

Having a few people all agree doesn't mean much to me when there are churches full of people who actively believe in talking in tongues. They would all make the same claim that speaking in tongues is real when it's clearly bullshit. There's plenty of things that people believe in that are clearly bullshit.

It's all a load of crap, most especially stage hypnosis. Medical hypnosis has a few promoters, but it's got not scientific backing. There's nothing to suggest that it's anymore effective than a placebo or suggestions.

In fact, there are two major rewards available for anyone who could prove an actual trance state from hypnosis.

The Amazing Kreskin, who was a famous magician and Mentalist, offered a $100,000 reward to anyone who can show a real trance state.

And of course there was the Amazing James Randi $1,000,000 Challenge for any paranormal proof, which hypnosis was included.

So if it's so and easy to perform then I would have to wonder why nobody wanted to become a millionaire. Hypnosis is nothing more than parlor tricks that require instant stooges.

That's because he's good at his job. Mentalists are really good at picking out people that will work with them and people who won't. Clearly there was enough people where he didn't want to be made a fool by someone who wouldn't instant stooge. I'm guessing there was an audience if he was picking people. So of course he cares about his stage presence. If you made him look stupid then you have a room full of people who will spread that around and ruin his reputation.

Hypnosis is trash mentalism and requires an instant stooge, which is an audience member who willingly goes along with the trick out of nowhere. They aren't preselected, they just are willing to play along. He probably kicked you off because he's experienced and knows what to look for.

Again, I'll bet every single person who has ever been "hypnotized" wouldn't have gone along with something dangerous or illegal. And if they wouldn't do that, then I don't see how they are really hypnotized.

Whatever, man. It's not really worth arguing over.

It definitely works, I’ve seen it with my own eyes. You have to be “willing” to get hypnotized though.

It definitely works, I’ve seen it with my own eyes. You have to be “willing” to get hypnotized though.

If you saw it with your own eyes then it's definitely real then.

The fact that they have to be willing certainly doesn't mean they could be playing along.

If you saw it with your own eyes then it's definitely real then.

The fact that they have to be willing certainly doesn't mean they could be playing along.

Yes, everyone must have been in on it.

Yes, everyone must have been in on it.

Uhh..... Yes.

If you've ever seen a hypnosis show the Mentalist literally removes everyone from the stage that doesn't play along. If that's not a giant red flag, I don't know what is.

I’m very skeptical when it comes to this but perhaps there is something to it that some people are much more susceptible. Similar to how drugs don’t have the same mental effects on everyone.

I decided to make an appointment with a reputable clinical psychologist/hypnotherapist and address the issues I mentioned in my original post. I've set aside money that I decided to invest in myself and my personal development, if its a gamble that doesn't pay off, oh well, I'll learn my lesson. Will update following a couple appointments

Uhh..... Yes.

If you've ever seen a hypnosis show the Mentalist literally removes everyone from the stage that doesn't play along. If that's not a giant red flag, I don't know what is.

But how can they tell who and who isn't playing along, if everyone is playing along?

But how can they tell who and who isn't playing along, if everyone is playing along?

From what I've seen of hypnotism shows, they start off with a large crowd and gradually have them do more and more ridiculous things. The entire time they are removing people who don't go along with it. Eventually they are left with a small group of people who behave how they want. I'm sure experience goes a long way in deciding who goes vs who stays.

But if an entire building of church goes can believe they are talking in tongues, I don't see why having a few people think they were hypnotized is that crazy.

And all I have to say is nobody is ever hypnotized and taken to an ATM to be robbed or anything else bad. If you can supposedly make someone jump around like a duck why can't they commit crimes under hypnosis?

My belief is because they are just playing along because it's fun and there's peer pressure to go along with it.

And again, there was $1,000,000.00 readily available for anyone who can actually hypnotise anyone and there's still $100,000.00 available today. Do hypnotists not like money? Why has nobody collected? Either they are making so much money that they don't need that million dollars for doing what they always do, or it's just a scam that relies on a common magicians trick called the instant stooge.

And again, there was $1,000,000.00 readily available for anyone who can actually hypnotise anyone and there's still $100,000.00 available today. Do hypnotists not like money? Why has nobody collected? Either they are making so much money that they don't need that million dollars for doing what they always do, or it's just a scam that relies on a common magicians trick called the instant stooge.

I believe the million dollars on offer, was to prove paranormal psychic abilities, like moving objects with your mind, and psychic readings. I don't believe hypnosis was a part of the challenge.

From what I've seen of hypnotism shows, they start off with a large crowd and gradually have them do more and more ridiculous things. The entire time they are removing people who don't go along with it. Eventually they are left with a small group of people who behave how they want. I'm sure experience goes a long way in deciding who goes vs who stays.

But if an entire building of church goes can believe they are talking in tongues, I don't see why having a few people think they were hypnotized is that crazy.

And all I have to say is nobody is ever hypnotized and taken to an ATM to be robbed or anything else bad. If you can supposedly make someone jump around like a duck why can't they commit crimes under hypnosis?

My belief is because they are just playing along because it's fun and there's peer pressure to go along with it.

Have you searched crimes committed using hypnosis? There's been plenty.

I think what this thread is lacking is a literal description of what hypnosis is.

I think there is a slight misconception going on in here as to what it is;

I looked it up, and here are some basic examples of being in a 'trance' - a state of hypnosis:

- Day dreaming (Check, I day dream, and it does feel like a vulnerable state of mind like the mind is paused, where outside stimuli is disengaged)

- Watching a tv (Check, focused attention on an engaging programme etc which cuts out other external stimuli)

- Emotional engagement (Check, for example when you get sweaty palms watching an intense action scene or tear up during a sad movie)

- Sleep (Check, in order to fall asleep you must first enter a trance state, and you pass back through a trance when you awake)

So hypnosis appears to be a combination of being put into a trance state (e.g. through relaxation) and suggestibility or the will to play along.

Hypnosis cannot make someone do anything they don't want to do already.

There is a large part of participants playing the role of the hypnotised.

It works well on people who read fantasy, not at all on those who read science fiction.

I saw some videos of conmen using hypnosis to convince the victims give them money...pretty amazing how they manage to do it in just a few seconds

Guns can make people highly susceptible to suggestions.

Have you searched crimes committed using hypnosis? There's been plenty.

Haven't really seen anything too convincing. Do you have any specifically that you would point to as good evidence for that?

Back