Do you believe in ghosts?

???

• Total voters
As stated, I was joking. By your logic we've photographed the result of gravity but never captured gravity itself on film. I can't see RF energy but I've measured it with an Oscilloscope.

We can't yet truly calculate the force of gravity as the unknown constant rererred to as big "G" has yet to be defined. In fact, some physicists argue that there is no gravitational constant and that the force of gravity can differ from day to day or among locations. There have been experiments measuring gravity at the atomic level but the results vary depending on the test method and objects used. So, we haven't truly quantified / defined gravity beyond the normal "rate of fall" of an object or weighing an object on Earth or the gravity of a specific atomic particle or known element. We're closer to understanding gravity than we've ever been though.

We say gravity exists because one object affects another through an invisible force and we can measure or calculate that force to a degree. Planets exert "gravity" and objects on a smaller scale do too. When an apple falls from a tree we say "gravity" caused the fall despite never seeing gravity, only the apple falling. People who hear unexplained footsteps in their house or see a shadow or such say "ghost" because the word is the most convenient label for the unexplained phenomenom.

If there was anything about "ghosts" that we could reliably measure like we can with gravity, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

If there was anything about "ghosts" that we could reliably measure like we can with gravity, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

And we wouldn't be having this discussion concerning gravity if we hadn't advanced our scientific knowledge or advanced our scientific methods. You're train of thought is akin to sitting here conviced that there's nothing more infitesimal than a Quirck or Lepton because we can't see and measure particles smaller than those. Meanwhile we have no clue why a Proton has significantly more mass than an Electron, two known particles which shows us that we have much more to learn and discover.

Give it time. We'll likely find ways to see and document smaller particles. Maybe we'll have a similar breakthrough concerning the "Supernatural" and "ghosts". Not saying it will happen or I truly believe in ghosts but we're not too far removed from a time when we were ignorant to dust mites or Electro Magnetic fields.

And we wouldn't be having this discussion concerning gravity if we hadn't advanced our scientific knowledge or advanced our scientific methods. You're train of thought is akin to sitting here conviced that there's nothing more infitesimal than a Quirck or Lepton because we can't see and measure particles smaller than those. Meanwhile we have no clue why a Proton has significantly more mass than an Electron, two known particles which shows us that we have much more to learn and discover.

Give it time. We'll likely find ways to see and document smaller particles. Maybe we'll have a similar breakthrough concerning the "Supernatural" and "ghosts". Not saying it will happen or I truly believe in ghosts but we're not too far removed from a time when we were ignorant to dust mites or Electro Magnetic fields.

Bro, you're talking about people hearing footsteps and bumps in the night and then suggesting that perhaps if we knew more about quantum physics we'd be able to explain why no one can ever repeat these ghosts/hauntings/events when we seriously investigate them.

I appreciate that you understand what a Lepton or Quark is, but either this stuff happens as the alleged eye-witnesses allege, or not.

The time to believe in something is after it has been demonstrated to be true. You don't get to appeal to the unknown to explain the unknown. Especially when you're talking about ghosts/haunting/events that people claim to experience and see with their own eyes.

If I told you I had a purple dragon in my garage, and when you came to see it there was no purple dragon, and I tried to explain why you can't see it by talking about the electromagnetic spectrum and thermodynamics, you would be justified in rejecting my claim.

EDIT: Also, you can't compare the universally shared experience of gravity to ghosts/haunts/events for what should be obvious reasons. They are not the same thing.

True.
Perhaps I should've said people who lack sophistication and don't subject their beliefs to scrutiny.

Your first reply lacked all sophistication. Also many sophisticated and highly educated people do believe in ghosts so you are still wrong.

I voted yes on the poll but it must be qualified. I believe in the phenomena but have no idea what it actually is. I saw something super creepy once as clear as day that I cannot explain.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bro, you're talking about people hearing footsteps and bumps in the night and then suggesting that perhaps if we knew more about quantum physics we'd be able to explain why no one can ever repeat these ghosts/hauntings/events when we seriously investigate them.

I appreciate that you understand what a Lepton or Quark is, but either this stuff happens as the alleged eye-witnesses allege, or not.

The time to believe in something is after it has been demonstrated to be true. You don't get to appeal to the unknown to explain the unknown. Especially when you're talking about ghosts/haunting/events that people claim to experience and see with their own eyes.

If I told you I had a purple dragon in my garage, and when you came to see it there was no purple dragon, and I tried to explain why you can't see it by talking about the electromagnetic spectrum and thermodynamics, you would be justified in rejecting my claim.

EDIT: Also, you can't compare the universally shared experience of gravity to ghosts/haunts/events for what should be obvious reasons. They are not the same thing.

"Bro", you're saying: "I haven't seen a picture or video of a ghost so they don't exist. There's no proof so I won't entertain the notion".

Meanwhile, I've stated numerous times that I simply believe that ghost is a word used to describe unexplained phenomenon. If you don't get it, you don't get. You can read, but can you COMPREHEND? You can't imagine anything beyond the known so you can't fathom the possibility that we die, our matter rots, and the energy within our body enters a new state. Or that some people perceive something outside of the established norm and label it a ghost.

Guys like Einstein theorized that light is bent by gravity. Guys like you said "I don't believe that since I've never seen light bend and we have no evidence proving such". Well, advances in science proved Einstein right. Stay closed-minded if you like, it's your prerogative to not accept the possibility of anything beyond the known reality of this exact microsecond.

"Bro", you're saying: "I haven't seen a picture or video of a ghost so they don't exist. There's no proof so I won't entertain the notion".

Meanwhile, I've stated numerous times that I simply believe that ghost is a word used to describe unexplained phenomenon. If you don't get it, you don't get. You can read, but can you COMPREHEND? You can't imagine anything beyond the known so you can't fathom the possibility that we die, our matter rots, and the energy within our body enters a new state. Or that some people perceive something outside of the established norm and label it a ghost.

Guys like Einstein theorized that light is bent by gravity. Guys like you said "I don't believe that since I've never seen light bend and we have no evidence proving such". Well, advances in science proved Einstein right. Stay closed-minded if you like, it's your prerogative to not accept the possibility of anything beyond the known reality of this exact microsecond.

Last reply to you my friend. I imagine you are quite a reasonable fellow in general, but not on this topic.

You continue to compare people's experiences with unexplained phenomena - for which you want to use labels that carry a lot of baggage such as ghosts/hauntings/events - to facts about reality discovered through a vigorous investigation of reality, which built on to a pre-existing body of facts about reality. Or, you want to compare these testimonials about strange encounters to phenomena that are collectively experienced by all of humanity, such as gravity. This is a critical error in your argument and part of the reason why you're now accusing me of "not getting it."

I get it, bruh.

Einstein's theorizing that light is bent by gravity based upon his incredible understanding of mathematics and physics does not belong in this conversation. Einstein was capable of confirming or rejecting his hypotheses based upon his investigation into nature. That does not occur with ghosts/events/haunting. No one can offer anything that would qualify as evidence to support these things that, allegedly, occur in our reality enough for people to detect it with their own senses.

All we have is testimonials. Shit's weaker than weak, bruv.

Until we have more than that, to envoke one of my favourite Sherdogisms: Literally none of that happened.

modern arrogance should be a mental illness but that would make 95 percent of us mentally ill. I'm just as put off by scientists' arrogance as i was by the pentecostals I used to live with. Both have pretty fucked up belief systems and lots of hypocrisy to go along with them.

@Clippy

xm0cU0l.png

no but I pray to God to see one than I will know 100% God is real

Honestly I like good ghost stories because might be a true tail behind them but no.

Ghosts aren't real but dark energy is in certain rooms that don't get much human attention. Think of a Basement, Attic etc.

Back