do you believe fighters when they say they dont watch tape

xMaxPower

Red Belt
Reaction score
Like cerrone.

I dont. I dont think Cowboy is that stupid. You're basically risking brain damage at the very least, death at the at the very most, by not doing your homework on your opponent.

I do.
To each their own.

Edit: to expand on it:
Some fighters might like to do that, to look for openings, to look for things they can exploit.
Others trust their coach will do this and they trust the coach will traini him on it without having to go on and do it themselves.

Some other fighters might not like to see the tape on other fighters.
Most fighters are well rounded and watching a few fight doesn't mean much, since they will be training and improving, and changing their gameplan.

so as I said above, to each their own.

I believe anything anyone tells me.

Who watches tape, period? I haven't watched a tape in like 25 years or so.

while i believe them when the state they do not watch tapes on their opponents

i believe its unlikely that they did not watch their own tape at least. even at early competitive level of sports watching tape is one of the most important aspects. especially in individual sports where you can solely focus on yourself.

They have trainers.

If the trainer is not watching, he's not doing his job.

Yes, maybe not the fighter himself, but someone in the camp always does.

I believe that Cerrone and Rampage didn't watch tape since they used to, then got enough experience where the style they're facing doesn't matter as much as for an inexperienced fighter. Not saying it's smart, but that there's logic behind it.

Yes. Some ppl are just macho like that. Like won't wear a helmet, chews tobacco thinking he wont get cancer, jumps off high buildings, no seatbelts- oh thats Cowboy.

I dont think Brock watched any tape on Cain Velasquez.

Nope... But I don't believe anyone when they say anything.!

That would depend. In most circumstances no.. in donald circumstance yes.

I definitely believe it.

watching tape is only useful if you are good at spotting weaknesses.

for example, the next fighter vs. Tilll could watch the Cowboy tape,

amd yes, they MAYT see opportunities to exploit.

they are just as likely to see a fighter overwhelming an opponent, and will only be psyched out.

not all good fighters are proficient at strategy.

Like others have already stated, I think it maybe a bravado thing, trying to sound tough, or maybe they rely on their coaches to watch tape. If it’s the coaches watching tape, then it’s reminiscent of this:

He said he personally doesnt watch the tape but his coaches do and base a gameplan around this. Why do people continuously misuse quotes and just assume things?

Back